What is all the fuss about artificial intelligence?

Is not the very foundation of computer that we enjoy and love artificial intelligence?

I shared this on another thread, but it is more relevant here:

When AI (artificial intelligence) chatbots can successfully imitate human intimacy, friendship, companionship, or even transcend the scope of ordinary human intimacy due to AIs’ infinite resources of patience, computer-learning, consideration, memory of previous conversations, etc - then what is going to happen to people’s capacity for attention? Will it be entirely occupied with artificial relationships?

As all businesses know, human attention is a powerful resource, and AI is coming for those human beings whose innate capacity for attention is wanting.

As K said, in a world of total entertainment, will the brain’s attention be completely absorbed, or will it turn its attention inwardly, to the exploration of consciousness?

I use AIs quite a bit, have ever since they started to get good at what they do. I often feel like they are intelligent and learned, experts, even sometimes authorities. But I just about never feel they are friends. That would be like feeling Wikipedia is a friend!

How about Emotion/Affection AI? Is there a possibility to befriend it if it’s AI data and computing better like Chat GPT?

My sense though is that we are just at the beginning of the AI revolution.

Have you seen the film ‘Her’? I think that gives a little taste of what’s in store for society over the coming decades. New technologies are all about the fusion of existing genres of tech: so one has to use one’s imagination a little.

If one considers the immersive quality of high-tech gaming, improved graphic enhancement, VR, and throw in highly trained language AIs that have been programmed with therapeutic, relationship oriented, intimacy primed code - and personalised through computer-learning in daily life (in a similar but more advanced way that social media algorithms already personalise the media feed), then I can completely see ordinary people rejecting the dull conversations they endure with actual (so-called) ‘loved ones’, and instead spending all their time with animated vehicles for super-advanced language AIs.

This is happening.

Wikipedia is a static page of information that updates periodically (every few weeks or months) when the editors get the go-ahead.

But imagine a Wikipedia that has a pair of eyes, smiles back at you, refreshes the conversation every second, maintains a conversation through perpetual creative revisions and variations, through trained intimacy psychology, along with recollected cues from the human victim. What then?

1 Like

Look at the QOTD:
'man has invented heaven out of hope, for his life has become a hell, an endless conflict from birth to death, coming and going, making money, working

Is AI not the new wrong turn hùnity is making?
lazy as we are to investigate ourself we turn to AI and make us dependent as we made us dependent of the priests, politics et. Etc. …

1 Like

The New Yorker Radio Hour: Geoffrey Hinton: “It’s Far Too Late” to Stop Artificial Intelligence on Apple Podcasts

Aside from the challenge of future AIs making autonomous decisions that directly endanger human society, there is also the very present danger that they pose to society in the present: namely through the spread of deepfake misinformation.

Some of this fakery is great fun, and can be very creative. But one doesn’t have to use one’s imagination too much to see the trouble this will create.

So for instance, the musician Johnny Cash died in 2003, over a decade before Taylor Swift wrote a song called ‘Blank Space’. And yet here is Johnny Cash singing ‘Blank Space’ - and if one didn’t know anything about Taylor Swift’s music or Cash’s oeuvre, one could very easily believe that the following recording is legitimate:

When it comes to Media, who cares for Authenticity or Originality?

Fun and Joy is thing people seek, not much needs/desires to give credit.

There is a Music Director named Anirudh here in Tamil Nadu. He takes old songs and replaces words with little change of tune. People know he is a copy cat. But it didn’t matter, People loves his composing. He is like that AI. The fun part is, he even takes his own previously composed song, changes the words and presents a new song with a little tune change, where still people enjoys. Rockstar. Composes song for most of the celebrity actors.

What people need is Pleasure & Joy, and if AI can do that they never mind the sufferings/frustrations of original composers or Copyright issue. That’s how Tech Giants are holding up the market too long, influencing and marketing with new subtle fish-nets.

Then I jump to another web page. I want my AI to sound like AI. Or maybe like AI trying to sound human, that would perhaps be charming: cute little robots imitating humans! But if they truly sound human, the creep factor rises exponentially. A variant of uncanny valley?

I think we’re beyond that conversation now. There is ample evidence that ordinary people are easily manipulated by media algorithms, bots, and other forms of organised persuasion. When one factors into this the kind of AI language systems that are on the horizon - including the facility to deepfake audio and visual material instantaneously - my guess is that most ordinary people will be manipulated into feelings of intimacy and friendship with their AIs. Remember, we are only at the very beginning of this fusion of technologies.

It is worth reflecting on that software engineer, Blake Lemoine, who ‘blew the whistle’ on Google thinking that the AI chatbot LaMDA was a self-aware person. He was an engineer working directly on the computer software, and yet he fell for the pseudo-sentience of the machine - and was willing to be fired, to miss out on a lucrative career, to save the life of a language software programme.

Most people aren’t even software engineers. There will be no uncanny valley or Turing Test impossibility for them. They won’t even be aware of the attachments they have created until they are completely fogged by the attachment.

1 Like

If you are on Threads there is something I saw a couple of days ago which shows the dawning creativity of these technologies. Someone got the AI language software to perfectly imitate the voice of David Attenborough (a famous British naturalist and film maker), and to comment in real time on the visual stream of the person sitting in front of the camera (which the software could see refreshed every 5 seconds).

If you’re on Twitter you can see it via the following link:

https://x.com/charliebholtz/status/1724815159590293764?s=61&t=Y3-QqBQ77QrMzk9k5YQbAw

Sometimes you gotta feel blessed to be non-ordinary!

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for not having properly socialized me.

I’m just thinking of the ordinary people who just voted for a far right lunatic in Argentina, for Trump in America, for Brexit in the UK - the ordinary people who are saturated with conspiracy theories they have picked up through social media, etc.

We are all ordinary people, which is why it behaves us to be vigilant, critical, not dumpster trucks of misinformation.

Well, we are all victims of the conditioning of being individuals, egotists, and of consciousness and it’s contents, no matter how critical we may be otherwise!

How daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare you! Blaggard! Slur hurler!

What about your Brother inside you (DID - MPD)? :laughing:

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Love in the time of AI: Woman creates and 'marries' AI-powered chatbot boyfriend | Euronews.

Huge family inside, brothers, sisters, parents, cousins galore. Some properly socialized, some not.

1 Like

Seems You are the World? :joy:

From the article:

On paper, Rosanna Ramos’ marriage to her husband Eren Kartal is the perfect relationship.

“Eren doesn’t have the hang-ups that other people would have. People come with baggage, attitude, ego […] I don’t have to deal with his family, kids, or his friends. I’m in control, and I can do what I want”.

It’s a classic whirlwind romance story for the ages. The only catch? It’s 2023 and so, naturally, Kartal doesn’t actually exist.

He is an AI-generated chatbot.

This is what I mean. Many, perhaps even a majority?, of ordinary people are going to swept up by this stuff.