The conflict of the observer and the observed in 1 minute and 9 seconds

…so conflict is jealousy ( J.Krishnamurti )

…you’ve got it ? ( J.Krishnamurti )

1 Like

The first (and only) thing we need to realise is that I am the basis for suffering, I am the movement of suffering - suffering, ie. wanting what should be, is me.

If this is seen, we see that whatever I want, is just more of the same. Whatever I do, is just more of the same.

So, what to do?

PS. “conflict is jealousy…” might be a slip of the tongue by K. Jealousy is conflict (the refusal of some perception) - and wanting to not be jealous is conflict (refusal of what is)

1 Like

If it is true is that “conflict is jealousy”, yet the statement doesn’t ring true for this brain, what can this brain do to find out how/why it fails to see it?

Is there any train of thought this brain can take that will answer this question, or must all thought cease because everything this brain does is in the interest of its persisting condition - not in the interest of what is presently possible.

There’s no need to speculate as to whether K meant that “conflict is jealousy” (that all conflict is essentially jealousy or that jealousy is just one form of conflict) if one doesn’t thoroughly understand what the words refer to.

It may be that to understand one is to understand the other, and the conditioned brain does not understand deeply enough to be free of the tyranny of words and images.

If there is a pain in the body. Is it ‘conflict to want to end it?..if there is the pain of jealousy in the mind, is it conflict to want to end it?

It depends on what you understand about pain. If you see it as a good and necessary thing for the health and well-being of the organism, you don’t resist it because it’s information that is needed to heal. Likewise for psychological pain.

Conflict is fear and jealousy. Looking at jealousy with more conflict is adding fuel to the fire but when there is the realization that the observer is the observed then there is only jealousy which is thought measuring, comparing.

1 Like

When the observer as being different from the observed is eliminate, by seeing the truth that I am the jealousy, then the conflict is jealousy. That is the way I understand this.

The duality of the observer/observed division being eliminate, then the conflict (that is left ) is jealousy, which is conflict . What do you think ?

What is the ‘state’ that ‘realizes’ that “I am the jealousy “? That’s what is missing. That realization is not an intellectual understanding. That is a state of understanding that “doesn’t mind what happens”. That is a state of observation that doesn’t judge what is seen, felt. That’s a state that is “free of the known”. That’s what’s missing, is it not? What he calls “attention “. A “different dimension of awareness “…

Everyone in the room with K said they ‘got it’. My guess is nobody ‘got it’.

Is all conflict jealousy, or is all jealousy conflict? The latter isn’t it? Jealousy manifests through conflict, so you don’t approach conflict through one of the very many manifestations that appears after conflict. Just saying…

Jealousy doesn’t appear “after conflict” - it’s disjunction (conflict) between what is perceived and what-should/should-not-be.

When I believe I know what should or shouldn’t be, I can only react to what I behold because I can only behold what I can react to, whether painfully, pleasurably, or dispassionately. I’m not free to see anything as it actually is until/unless I am free of the content that distorts perception.

1 Like

The mother,

When Charley was @5, the kid next door threw a rock at Charley - over the fence in the back yard. Charley ducked. and the rock skimmed over Charley’s head.

So the mother was dabbing the head (just in case) to avoid infection, and Charley asked the mother, why did the kid throw a rock at Charley?

And the mother said that later in life, people will be mean to you, so remember it will always be because of jealousy. She was right. :upside_down_face:

Side note: the observer is the observed. It can be jealousy, it can be arrogance, it can be many things. Whatever it is, when the “I” realizes it is ‘what is’. That’s it, over, finished.

1 Like

What I’m saying is jealousy is a trait which is only there when conflict is too. But then again there are many facets/traits that come with conflict so how can you call all conflict jealousy?

Analysing,

The conflict could also be due to analysing.

“So, is the observer, the analyser, different from the analysed? Are they not both the same? Please, it is important to understand this very clearly and deeply because if they are both the same—and you will find out that they are the same—then conflict comes to an end.”
K: The First Step Is the Last Step, Chapter 1, First Talk in New Delhi, 10th December 1970

1 Like

The question is how does one understand this deeply and clearly. We all ‘know’ the analyzer
IS the analyzed but how does the “deeply and clearly” come about?

Yes. It is the way to observe. If one know how to observe, that’s it. Then one have to look into what is jealousy ? Are we aware of it when it happen ? Or is it mostly uncouscious. Fear, anxiety, anger …or whatever is happening in ourselves, in our relationships. Our attachments , our anger, our resistance. What is it all about? What is selfknowledge ?

Haha !! That’s maybe why he put his hands in his face at the end of this video :slightly_smiling_face:.

But we don’t, and he couldn’t communicate it. Perhaps because he didn’t understand how it happened in himself. He certainly did try though, didn’t he?

Well Dan, I will leave it to you to make such a judgement. Whether any audience get it or not I can’t say. But I agree he certainly did try though.

I’m saying Richard, they got what we got but none of us ‘get it’. I may be wrong of course but we’ll keep ‘at it’. It’s important. “The house is burning”.

I don’t understand what you’re getting at . Can you explain a little bit more ?