Knowing

What do we know of knowing? I think I know things, but all this so-called knowing is just my way of seeing, i.e., distortion for the sake of continuity.

I’m too conservative to be as liberal as I’d like to think, believe, know.

In my prison I aspire to health because anyone who lives this way is ill, not evil.

We speak of being free, as if you and me can be nothing but being

What we call “foresight” is knowing what to prepare for. But since we know only what we can name or imagine, foresight is just an educated guess.

Believers are always liars
But not all liars are believers

1 Like

We like to think about things don’t we? Why? Why do we like it? Does it give us a sense that things do matter? What are these things? Are these things not the things that we know about? Can we think about sthg we do not know about?
The knowing, the thinking of the knowing gives us a sense that we matter. Isn’t this all thought?

There are things we don’t like to think about but must think about, so thinking isn’t always pleasurable. Serious thinking is arduous and rigorous.

Can we think about sthg we do not know about?

We can think about what little, if anything, we know about something, and whether we need to find out more about it.

The knowing, the thinking of the knowing gives us a sense that we matter. Isn’t this all thought?

We matter to ourselves and our species because we are thinking incoherently and are thereby confused, so yes, our problem is “all thought”.

Yes, knowing is a strange thing!

knowing that there are poisonous snakes , we are afraid of anything resembling them, even a piece of rope in dim light

What we think we know can be worse than not knowing.

That only seems like a correct answer.

The not knowing person who was bitten by a poisonous snake cannot warn us about his ignorance. And yes there is no psychological time involved in that.

What does it mean when you say: i know.
Not in the field of acquired knowledge , like s.o. asking : what is the capital of Belgium? When you know the answer you will give the answer immediately ( you can be wrong, ofcourse) and when you don’t know the answer you know also that you don’t know it.
But my question is more about the self-knowledge: what does it mean when you say: i know myself?

Oh, that could mean so much!
You can over- or underestimate your knowledge, you can be proud or arrogant about it or derive undue assurance from it… the opportunities to fill in are really inexhaustible

It means I’m lying…

Ok! We know all that, that we are confused, that we are liars, that we are presumptious,
And all the rest as you say.
But about self-knowledge? It seems to me that zal this has nothing to do with it.
My question remains : what is self-knowledge? Maybe the word knowledge might be confusing? What does it mean to know about yourself? Why have we got to know ourselves? I am asking …

Because self-interest is so limited, it always comes at the expense of others.

2 Likes

Self knowledge would be seeing what the whole process of self is about.

This feeling of being the central character whose thoughts, emotions and desires must be obeyed - whose knowledge is true, whose concepts are real. What is this experience for, what is its function, what does it imply?

The brain has to awaken to the possibility that the self image doesn’t actually exist. That it is a projection of thought. The ‘me’ projection is the source not only of great mayhem in the world but also of personal suffering. ‘Intelligence’ is the light that can see through this duality created by thought?

But we don’t know it because we can’t acknowledge what doesn’t support and affirm the pack of lies (beliefs, presumptions, assumptions) that I is.

I is the reflexive refututation, denial, or distortion of what does not accord with my pack of lies.

1 Like

The self-image does exist, but we can’t see that it is only an image because everything else we know is just images and feelings.

1 Like

At least we know the words lying, presumptuous, etc… and the feelings that go with them.
And that is just the problem : this knowledge prevents us from seeing what actual is taking place when these words are used against you.
But … what has all this to do with self-knowledge? Are we digressing? Who picks up the thread?

a

Knowledge doesn’t prevent us from seeing. What prevents seeing is what we mistake for knowledge, i.e., falsehoods, theories, conclusions, assumptions, etc.

What is the “you” that words are being used against? Is it real or imagined?

The word “tree”, the word “bird”, and this particular bird which is called “the robin”, surely this is all knowledge stored in tne memory, in the brain and when we encounter this particular bird we immediatly react out of our memory and give it his name.
But … what happens if we see the bird without this reaction, when we watch it, hear it, without our knowledge. What happens then, if sthg happens.
It is worth its while doing it. Plz do it.

Plz don’t give advice…

1 Like

Yes, i can imagine that people want to give advice. They seem to do it all the time.
But this wasn’t meant to be. You can see it as an experiment and an experiment had to be done (or not, if you are not up to)
But you seem to avoid the fact that knowledge stands in our way of perceiving sthg (which i am hesitantly may name it as new).
So, might i insist ?