How might the war end?

The other day, I was reading an article on the BBC website about the ways in which the war in Ukraine may come to an end. It was a description by a diplomatic correspondent of five possible scenarios based on what we already know about the people and factions involved in this current European conflict. You can get the gist of it from this brief quote: “Few can predict the future with confidence, but here are some potential outcomes. Most are bleak.”

For friends of Krishnamurti, it will probably come as no surprise that this kind of article never explores the possibility that the war in Ukraine is no different in kind from the war being waged constantly within the individual human mind, including the mind of the writer of the article. There may be a difference of degree and appearance, but our inner and outer conflicts are essentially the same thing. For although the individual human mind has amassed a wealth of evidence to support the notion that it is an important separate identity, this sense of being a separate identity is what puts us all on the first step to murder. From the idea of the separate self comes all the rest of it - my self-esteem, my values, my family, my tribe, my nation, my culture, my beliefs, my rights, and so forth - and thus the foundations are laid from which one views the rest of the world. One may view this world positively or negatively, sentimentally or coldly, depending upon the nature of the personal foundation; but whichever way one looks at the world, it is a personal viewpoint born out of all those accumulated memories and interpretations of one’s own experiences and responses, both good and bad. This notion of separate individuality is bound to bring about conflict with others, conflict in varying degrees and with varying forms, from our minor domestic disputes to the full-blown military campaign. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://kinfonet.org/articles/how-might-the-war-end
6 Likes

Eminently sane take on what drives us to make war, in all its forms.

In times of peace, the warlike man makes war with himself.

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Internal conflict is so ubiquitous, it has become the norm, not felt as an unacceptable way to live.

Excellent article, Paul. And some very pertinent comments about dialogue.
Thanks for the sharing.
Clive

1 Like

As Inquiry put it somewhere, we’d rather fight than switch.

It definitely is the norm, and definitely most if not everyone feels it is an unacceptable way to live. Nonetheless we accept it as the way of life, because… ? Why? I do not accept that anyone would not feel internal conflict as pain and suffer for it.

I read this sentence three times and it never made sense…too many negatives. So I simplified it;
I accept that anyone would feel internal conflict as pain and suffer for it.
This way it makes sense, but just states the obvious.