You are afraid to jump into unknown

because you can’t imagine unknown, you can’t catch it, you can’t control it, you can’t even sense it, can’t feel it either… so the mind is pulling back you to place where you are NOW.

… until you understand, that unknown is ONLY inside you. From that PERSPECTIVE
question regarding impossibility becomes inadequate. Just concentrate on this what do you understand - it will help you more than you thought…

That’s not the case !
You can imagine the unknown but it’s not real and the actual problem is that one take the imagined for real !

Welcome to this forum Sark. Can we know anything about the unknown?

Sure, you should know already, the more you know - the unknown gets bigger and bigger.
But maybe, more important is - do you have strength, a courage to seek, a faith, a tireless will to ask yourself?

I don’t know - it’s a bit of an unknown.

Is it possible to approach the unknown from the known? Can the unknown be experienced in everyday life. Going to the supermarket can be a routine task where we move completely within the field of the known. Can such a routine activity be seen with new eyes and have freshness and newness about it?

1 Like

Once in my life, I have been thinking about nature of problems, considering question was if problems (any problems, all problems, every problem, infinitive number of problems) are solvable or not? The answer might be shocking for you - every problem is solvable, has solution. I definitely declare: this answer is TRUE. The statement: “every problem is solvable” IS TRUE…

Yes. The image of “jumping into the unknown” is like diving into an abyss…it’s imaginary. A creation of thought. Each moment IS the unknown. It is the presence of the ‘self’ that transforms each moment into the known. ‘Dying ‘ to self in the moment is the ‘unknown’. The negation of the activity of the self (past) in the moment is the unknown. There is no ‘courage’ involved, only the energy of ‘awareness ‘. “The seeing is the doing “.

1 Like

We have a method of looking at concepts and then trying to apply them or unravel them. This is an approach dependent on our way of thinking, and better to look into negation. This is where quiet self reflection, like non-regulated or informal meditation is a start. Or we can just look at the world directly, immediately, aware of the minds emotional, sentimental, reactionary, activity, and negate it. This opens the door to a free flow of awareness, and this is unknowing.

1 Like

Hi Sean, my name is Alistair and it’s lovely to be here. Something resonated deeply with what you were saying about seeing with ‘new’ eyes and having a ‘freshness’ in the way that one looks at everything. Could we open this up a little further and find out what prevents this ‘newness’ ? Is part of the reason because ‘my’ cup is so full of knowledge and experience of one kind or another that it is almost impossible to listen with freshness and look with a deep sense of ‘newness’ ?

Hello Alistair. Thanks for the message and welcome to this forum!

I was always struck by how Krishnamurti would often point out clouds in the sky. He seemed to see them with new eyes every time, or at least that’s the impression I got. This constant discovering, over and over again, seems to be something that is absolutely central to Krishnamurti’s teachings but something we seem largely unable to do. Alistair, I think you’re right about our cups being so full of knowledge and experience and that this blocks us from seeing and hearing anything new. Do we have some kind of blind spot that stops us from seeing when past experience arises and blocks out any possibility of freshness or newness? Or is there someting else we are missing?

Hello Sean, thank you for your reply. I think most of us do have this blind spot but we are simply not aware of it most of the time. Could we say that ‘knowledge’ as the ‘past’ is continually arising in response to each ‘new’ challenge? This ‘knowledge’ we ‘think’ is superior to everything. We see a beautiful sunrise and that very ‘knowledge’ which is the result of all my past experiences comes up and says ‘What a beautiful sunrise’ this knowledge is always ‘old’ because it is based on the past and with that ‘past’ I look at the tree or the sunrise. So my eyes, my heart, my mind is never fresh and new as you say. It is always tainted by the past knowledge and experience I have gathered and collected and stored along the way. So I very rarely ever see anything completely new or fresh. I think this is very important to realize :slight_smile: When we were very young everything was new to us. We would laugh and if we hurt ourselves we would cry and the tears would wash away the pain and off we would go again running about with such joy and an abundance of energy. What happened to all that energy? Where did it go? Did it go into constructing this self-image? Has not this self-image with its story isolated me from nature and my true nature? When we were young why did we record all those deep hurts? Why did we build a wall around ourselves, a wall of images, a wall of ideas and beliefs, a wall of knowledge and experience? Was it to hide away the deep hurts, to escape from the pain of those hurts? And slowly that energy, that intelligence, that love gets shut down, locked away, hidden from view by a structure that thought has built to protect itself from experiencing any kind of hurt or pain again. This is the sorrow that K talked about. The great river of sorrow that each human being carries in their heart and are most of the time totally unaware of. Can you and I have a deep insight into all this? Can we see the whole thing instantly so that we are free of this deep sorrow?

Optically, everyone has a blind spot, but you’re referring to a mental, psychological blind spot that seems to prevent us from seeing what we’re doing.

What prevents us from seeing what we’re doing is our inability to face facts without reacting, denying or decrying what we see. We can’t see what we actually are until we’ve abandoned every notion of what we should/should not be, and that can’t happen until we honestly don’t know what should be.

1 Like

Hello again Alistair. After reading your contribution, I can only say that I see things very much the same way as you do. As for your question above, I really don’t know. What do you mean by “a deep insight”?

One can see “the whole thing” when one’s conditioned response is suspended or inoperative. The conditioned mind responds conditionally to seeing what we are, which means that unless we are pleased with what we see, we react by denying or condemning what we see. Either way, we aren’t facing what we’re seeing, which means we’re seeing only what we believe, and not what is actually present.

Until the conflict between what-is and what-should-be is resolved by the realization that we don’t really know what should be, the only things we can see clearly are things that support our feelings about what should and should not be.

**It’s sort of amazing to observe how thought makes every aspect of life into something complicated. What is the unknown? Isn’t it appearing moment to moment? None of us “knows” what will appear in the next moment, it’s unknown. What do we have to do to meet it? Pay attention, observe, right? Not according to opinions or beliefs, but just look. We don’t have to theorize or know anything, just look, right? When we go somewhere we don’t move “completely in the known.” It’s only when the thinking is about “what I am doing” or “what I think I know” that the attention is on ‘known’ imagery and not giving attention to the cars on the road, on the way to the store. We don’t “know” which car will appear next, it’s unknown, but when it appears in awareness, we’ll know it’s there. The unknown is revealing itself all the time, in awareness, if we’re observing, and not making up stories about it.

1 Like

In a very real way, there is only the ‘unknown’, isn’t there? It is thought that invented the psychological past/present/future. The body and the senses are always only in the Now. It is thought that finds pleasure and security dreaming about what was and what will be. Not to mention, fear.

**Yes, that’s a good way to describe it. There’s no “you” that’s going to jump into some imagined unknown. That’s all what we might call “Storyland.” All “paths” of a “me” going somewhere are in fictional Storyland.

The underlying fear of them all: What will ‘become’ of ‘me’?

**Yes, the initial false division, “me,” and everything else. The image of one body, “separate,” from the whole. Fearful of “the other.” Confusing the image for the actual.