Why Don't We Change After All These Years?

He pointed at the interval between thoughts as being the ‘timeless’ space. In that, which we have to find ourselves, there is the possibility to be free. It is nameless but it is called ‘silence’, intelligence, wisdom, insight…Thought can “absorb “ it but it is free of thought. Thought can “terminate” it with its conclusions as it does relentlessly. But it can’t have anything to do with thought/time, it is creation itself?

From that place? Do I have to do anything to bring that ‘place’ about? My point is, that there’s no ‘who’ …no one but thought. If there’s an interval between thoughts and intelligence arises, there’s no one initiating that arising. It happens when and if it happens. ‘I’ can do nothing to make that interval happen, nor make the ‘seeing’ or understanding happen. ‘I’ who am thought.

You’re asking? Or is the question mark a mistake?

You have to find it. I’d say forget all that about “who” and look when you’re in a quiet situation for the interval between your thoughts. K has said you can’t bring the mountain to valley…and it won’t come by itself, we have to do the climbing.

Always a question mark. But it makes great sense when this interval between thoughts is. Creation in the sense that it is new, separate from thought/time…as was said, thought is relentless in its need to ‘conclude’ from what is seen and the silence of the interval will be taken over by thought…but it can be “picked up again”.

1 Like

When relplying to a sentence one must understand the context that sentence was in, otherwise the answer will have no sense.

The sentence of mine you quoted referred to your affirmation:

“Somehow as a child he avoided the conditioning that it seems we all received. So that was something he did not have to overcome”.

The possibility to understand the problem of our lives and “to find it for ourselves” was there even before K. Yet K. pointed out in a excellent way or we can also say in a unprecedented way how to do it. This is like opening a door for us. I said the door will be open perhaps only for a short while because on one side K. teachings are already being misinterpreted and even faked and will be more so in the years, and on the other side humanity has taken a wrong turn which is pushing us in a cul de sac.

1 Like

Yes, theoretically.
I’ve answered to this problem in my reply to DanMCD. But it’s just a personal opinion.

The “I” offering no resistance to what it sees through awareness, which is at the root of fear.

Buddhists also say that there will come a time when the teachings will disappear from this world. This does not mean that they physically disappear, but that no one (or very few) will investigate them or try to penetrate their meaning. And when one looks closely at the psyche of the world today, it seems that this (and what Christians say - and probably other religious views as well) is not far from that.

All the psychological techniques with which the psyche of the world population has been bombarded for years through the mass media, and that right now is being accelerated by the situation that we all know quite well, is leading that population in that direction.

That ‘we’ is thought.

The ‘I’ IS resistance. Unless there’s some other I you are imagining. If there’s no resistance, there’s no ‘I’ to offer no resistance, right?.

1 Like

Not necessarily, Tom. When one goes to the doctor and the doctor says “you have cancer and you will die in a few weeks”, most 'I’s resist the fact. But there are some 'I’s who spontaneously withdraw, allowing awareness to take control of the situation. Despite this, this does not prevent the “I” from also seeing what the awareness sees, so at any moment the “I” could start to resist, corrupt awareness, and try again to take the control of the situation.

I totally agree with you, @voyager.

Now, what is your inner feeling about why human being is increasingly losing his ability to question things? How is it that he has come to the conclusion that it is not necessary or even useless to question anything? Why does it seem like he’s tired of questioning?

Any religious or philosophical thought, even history, is constantly discredited by the media as useless, absurd and full of lies. Now, how is it that the human being does not question any of this trying to find out the truth or lie of it for himself?

What is your inner feeling about why this tiredness and carelessness in the current human being when it comes to questioning and what seems will end up closing that door (temporarily?) of which some religious people have spoken throughout the History of that same human being?

p.s.: have you heard about “Learned Helplessness (1967)”?. Or the even older “Servitude Volontaire” (Voluntary Servitude - 1574-6)?

You raised a too vast and complex issue here and it will be too long to tackle it seriously. And I’m not sure I can tackle it in a simple and yet deep way.

The two articles you put the link to seem to explain a great deal however I think the only useful question would be “why we (I or you) do not question any of this trying to find out the truth or lie of it for himself?” We are the world.

That’s a conclusion by thought, right? The exercise that I’m bringing up isn’t concerned with the rightness or wrongness or even the content of the thought that arises but can there be an awareness of its beginning , middle and end? And most importantly, an awareness of the ‘silence ‘ or interval that comes between the end of one thought and the ‘birth’ of the next? The importance of this ,I’d say, is revealed in time. I would be interested to hear your experiences if you try this. K. had a lot to say about this but I think it may be more valuable to ‘just do it’:grinning:

My mind has spontaneously posed this question to itself as it read those words: If you consider that the topic I have raised is too vast and complex that it would take too long to tackle it seriously, how do you consider any thread in this forum? Do you think that they are easier to approach and that it does not take that long to tackle them seriously?

I don’t know about you, but i personally do question publicly, almost every day, politicians, so-called experts, mass media and people in general in social networks and in daily life about their views, lies and/or manipulations.

Honestly, for myself - but for another person could be different, I consider the majority of them a waste of time. Too much condending going on, the usual ego game, and no real insight. For a conversation to be useful there must be a spirit of friendship and the capacity to listen. I found one or two people who were good to talk with but being new here my assessment is bound to be partial. Last but not least the majority of people here lack semplicity. The problem of life, etc. is a very complex one and one needs a simple approach to tackle it. But only the intelligent ones are able to be simple. When I read a post I try to make it simple and so to find a simple answer. If I don’t find it I prefer to stay sislent.

“don’t know about you, but i personally do question”

I’ve questioned everything I considered sacred or important in my life and changed it accordingly.
Now the challenge is to question ourselves.

2 Likes

That’s from a Nike commercial, isn’t it? The ‘just do it’. Maybe that’s where K first heard it :wink: As to your first sentence however…no, it’s not necessarily a conclusion. It can be ‘seen’ and understood that the ‘we’ or ‘I’ is thought. It’s an image in the brain…only an image…based upon memory. I want to look further at the rest of your message before replying further. It’s lunch hour here.

Not meaning to be pedantic, but maybe “beginning, middle, end, silence/noise” is already too much interpretation - someone mentioned the task was too arduous - obviously, this would be due to too much effort (meaning the self was probably involved, trying to achieve something as usual)

Probably because the usual reason, logic, interpretation, becoming, progress, achievement, right/wrong, conclusion etc are at play. The usual model building and self-confirmation.