Why are you here?

Very loosely.

How is it a leap to acknowledge that there may be nothing one can do to awaken?

I think this is a huge leap! Itā€™s like seeing-realizing the snake is a rope. A profound dis-illusioning. Knowing with the certainty of realization that there is nothing we can do to awaken seems life-altering, especially for those of us ā€˜in the awakening game.ā€™

Maybe knowing would be ā€œlife-alteringā€, but Iā€™m just saying that if I is the problem, I canā€™t be the solution.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you forget the verb (to get) and just say ā€œI am strongly driven to(wards) ITā€ so that the words that follow in your sentence make more sense? Just asking.

Being strongly driven to get IT is how it feels. Being driven towards IT, less.

Speaking of ā€˜ITā€™, this was my attempt a while back to state simply with words what my amazing ā€˜brushā€™ with ā€˜ITā€™ revealed:

Freedom from the known is not the result of examinations. etc. It has nothing to do with any of that. They are all part of the ā€˜smogā€™ in the brain.
That is the conditioned idea; that freedom is anywhere else but Now. The ā€˜theories and conclusionsā€™ are just more of the same ā€˜streamā€™ that one has been in all oneā€™s life.**

Buddhism has the term prapanca, Sanskrit for ā€˜mental proliferation.ā€™

Thanks for sharing your insight!

This assumes the I cannot evolve towards deeper understanding of reality and how it fits within the grand system of existence. Iā€™m inclined to think it can. But I donā€™t know. You ask well then Rick why are you here, since Krishnamurti believed passionately the I is the enemy, the fundamental cause of suffering and cruelty. Iā€™m here because I like exposing myself to different worldviews, fathoming their essence, learning from them. And, like I said earlier, Krishnamurti and I have history, he matters to me.

Then perhaps you should admit that the words following that sentence, i.e., ā€œdonā€™t know what IT is,ā€ are not exactly true, for either the self has an image of what IT is, or there has been an insight of what IT is. Either way, there is a ā€œknowledgeā€ of what IT is.

I have the vague image of what IT is, the ultimate Truth of things, but donā€™t know if my image is image-ining the real or the unreal. There may be no ultimate Truth of things.

The I is constantly undergoing modification, and in that sense, evolving. But if I, the self center of the brain that identifies with its contents, is an illusion, the brain is in conflict with awareness/actuality.

So what happens when the brain seriously considers the possibility it is denying the whole truth by identifying with the partial truth of its curated content, its imagined self?

Do I want to ā€œgetā€ IT because I know what IT is, or do I just think I know what IT is? Can I know what IT is if I havenā€™t got it? Is it enough to ā€œgetā€ the concept of IT, or must one be IT to know what IT is/is not?

Yes, it goes without saying because if we didnā€™t have partial insights, glimpses of our condition, we would never suspect we are as enclosed and confined as we are.

Well expressed, good question.

Another good question, s/heā€™s on a roll! I suspect you need to know you are IT.

I may be able to say in so many words and images what IT is, but until/unless I am IT, I am only words and images.

I believe we all are IT, 24/7, beginninglessly and endlessly. We canā€™t not be IT. But we rarely know this, and the knowing makes all the difference (awakening-wise). As always, I may be utterly heinously egregiously wrong, hence: I believe.

Yes, I agree. Thereā€™s nothing to ā€œgetā€ if we are already IT, but so confused and conflicted by what weā€™re holding onto and identified with that weā€™re not aware of what we fundamentally are.

The conditioned brain is acquisitive. All it knows is getting, acquiring, keeping, holding, etc., and it hopes by acquiring the right things and discarding the wrong things it can awaken.

But it never really gets anything or discards anything. It just accumulates and reevaluates contents to conform to its current beliefs about what should be.

I value the human brain-mind, hold it in higher esteem than you seem to. I donā€™t disagree with your observations about the brain, I just see them as half the story. There are for me hugely, even miraculously positive things about the brain, and not just in the realm of practical knowledge, navigating the world, building houses.

Again, what I mean by getting IT is grokking IT as when you say: Ahhhhhh, I get it!

Right, the awakening comes from outside. We can call it awareness or intelligence. Itā€™s why I think Bohm brought up ā€˜proprioception of thoughtā€™. In its present state, without that, thought rules. Its unseen movement is the movement of ā€˜meā€™- it is ā€˜meā€™! Itā€™s not perceived as a ā€˜tool for survivalā€™. Only intelligence can see what has happened. And be aware as it moves. With proprioception of its movement, that role as ā€˜meā€™ can be seen for what it is : false.