What is seeing?

It’s interesting that if we look at the ‘present’ that way we become surfers trying to stay atop the wave. That means effort and motive. But the ‘present’ is actually all there is, isn’t it? It’s not “razor thin” at all, it’s ‘what is’…it’s the ‘past’ and ‘future’ that are the illusion!

The present is for me a fascinating mix of all there is and non-existent (in the same way that an infinitely thin slice of a line in calculus is non-existent, a never-reached/reachable limit). It’s a mystery.

The ‘present ‘ is only a “mystery “ when you think about it. Otherwise it’s just what is.

Yep … and therein lies the rub. Things ‘as they are’ without the sparkle of creative thought tend to hold little interest for me. And interest/pleasure is a huge driver for me, a rival to truth.

That is our situation isn’t it? Addicted to the “sparkle” (thought?) because no other specie seems to have or be capable of experiencing it? ‘Life’ is dull without it. And at the same time we are trying to understand the intense conflict and suffering we undergo. And that we inflict on others. The lab rat chooses the cocaine once he’s sampled it and then eschews food in favor of it and ultimately dies. What is it about the ‘present’ that holds no interest? Is it that the self-image needs constant stimulation? And the ‘what is’ isn’t sufficient, doesn’t supply it?

Is that true?! Reminds me of the Orgasmatron from Woody Allen’s Sleeper. People would get in it and never want to come out!

I think that’s part of it … it works this way for me, in any case. If I go too long without reinforcing my (quite fragile) sense of self, annoyance followed by anxiety followed by a kind of sickening terror ensues. But I don’t think it’s the whole story. We’re so bombarded by heightened experiences, hot sauce on everything in every aspect of life, that a plain old everyday experience seems dull by comparison. Calling it an addiction seems apt to me, that’s why I keep using the term ‘driven.’

Why do you say so?

Had you experienced the ‘no thoughts’ situation for a bit longer than usual?

This is really a conditioning - which doesn’t let you to stay with ‘what-is’.

Life is not dull at all without thoughts. Please inquire more.

Seeing is being sensitive to your environment. To understand your environment. You need to listen with every bit of your senses and all of your cells. You have to be sensitive. Total. No duality. No judgment. And if duality appears. Try to look into deeply into it will all your senses. Where did it come from. When you listen to someone or an animal. Listen with all your attention and your cells. Nothing else is going thru your mind. Mind, eyes, heart, lungs, skin, smell, and ect. are focused on the person or environment.

It’s not hard.

There is the longing to make seeing a superpower.

I see. (Boring!)
I See. (Interesting …)
I SEE. (Yeah baby!)

What do I see? Who cares, as long as I’m SEEing!

Silly brain! You’d think after all these years it would have moved beyond Santa Claus … :wink:

1 Like

And look critically so you don’t make mistakes for all to see

Seeing is in relationship to something or someone, it doesn’t exist by itself. For example seeing oneself in relationship requires a mind that doesn’t compare or measure.

Hi incognito

can you elaborate on that?

Ideally, perhaps, but when we watch ourselves in relationship, we see there is always comparison.

Incognito is saying that that is not “seeing”. ‘Seeing’ is a different dimension of awareness?

Yes. We know what Krishnamurti says about seeing, but all we actually know about it is that it is not real for us.

How do know that “seeing is not real for any of us”?

I don’t know. I apologize to those who are offended by my assumption that none of us here have “got it”.

Why does ‘seeing’ mean ‘getting it’?

If I’m not mistaken, “seeing” is direct perception; seeing clearly what actually is, not what-should/should-not-be.

That is what we’re talking about. Why do you say it is not real for any of us? You have an opinion,why do you think your opinion is true?