What are our limits?

Was Krishnamurti speaking from beyond our limits; the limits of the conditioned human brain?

Aren’t we limited by the conclusions we drew from experiences that raised questions we couldn’t answer?

Aren’t we conditioned by the power of choosing what to believe over not knowing?

Aren’t we believers who know it’s worse to believe than to honestly not know; believers who have abandoned the innocence of honest ignorance for the insolence of presumed knowledge?

Isn’t this the “wrong turn” that every human takes before one can know what’s wrong with it?

1 Like

I think our limits are determined by our self-respect.

Is there a relationship between self-respect and self-knowledge?

When you’re on the road and you realise you’ve taken a wrong turn, there’s no point in constantly worrying about why, right?

Self-respect is caring for oneself and setting boundaries. Self-knowledge is understanding why one responds the way one does and knowing the best way to self-regulate. Both self-respect and self-knowledge are important for good physical and mental health.

When I don’t know what is true, what is actual, and I choose to believe something rather than remain honestly unknowing, isn’t that a gross violation of the natural boundary between true and false?

1 Like

When you’re on the road and you realize you’ve taken a wrong turn, you turn around and go back. But when the brain has limited itself to choosing and believing instead of directly perceiving, there’s no turning back. All the conditioned brain can do is come to a complete stop…something it can’t choose to do. It happens or it doesn’t.

How do you know that?

Can the believer/chooser who believes it can choose to cease being the believer/chooser do anything more than believe it?

All the believer/chooser can do is choose its beliefs.

As long as we are conditioned ( to believe or not is an outcome of this conditioning) we can do what we want, it will always stay in the field of this conditioning.
So… what are we to do when acknowledging this statement? Can we do sthg at all?

Be aware of yourself without judgement, condemnation or comparison. Every thought, every sensation, etc.

So, to be aware of myself (whatever that might be?), do i have to know what awarenesness is?
What is awareness? Can i call upon it? Is it mine? Has awareness a relationship with consciousness?
I might say : i am conscious that i am breathing.
, or that i am stupid for that matter. This seems to me a thinking process. I think I am breathing. I think I am stupid. And this is going on during the day… (and night).
Is there awareness in what we think?

Find out. Be aware of the thoughts as they arise in the mind. No judgement of them just the seeing, the awareness of them.

1 Like

Ofcourse, one has to find out. That is why I pu these questions (not merely to you, but to myself as well). So that we might find out sthg together, no?
The question that springs to my mind (inevitably as it seems) is : who is aware?might we go into this question rather carefully?

For me awareness is in everything and everything is in it. So the question of a “who” doesn’t arise. For me the question seems to be can the mind be fully open to its ‘presence’? If the self-image is an impediment to that, then that must be seen totally.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go that far to say that awareness is in everything and everything thing is in it. At least, i cannot see it as a fact.
I might think of it as something natural, on which i cannot lay hands upon.
Am i (is the me) an impediment? Do i stand in the way?
If i am not, there it is? Is this true?

By ‘impediment’ I picture a walled in ‘center’ that resists what is perceived as threats to itself. It is not ‘innocent’. It fears humiliation. It can be ‘hurt’. It is built up of the past memories, experiences, hurts and fears. .it endeavors to maintain a more or less permanent psychological state?

Yes. I get that!
But do I truly see it in the sense of being aware of it, or is it merely an intellectual , verbal statement?
I guess it is up to me to answer this question, no?

This “permanent” state of which you are talking is in essence the ego, no?
Where does it gather its strength? Its energy? Because no doubt it has its own strength and vitality.
But at the same time, as we know, it is the reason (or the cause?) That we are divided, that the world is divided, that our consciousness is divided and hence that we are living in conflict.
Again, is this merely an intellectual understanding and am I the victim of my own intellect?

Is there an actual ‘I’ or is it that there is only thought and this illusory duality that it has created and maintains?