What Appears To Be

“When recognition is not there, I see something I have never seen before.” Discussion 6 in Gstaad, 19 August 1962

You don’t look closely at what you recognize because you can’t examine everything; a lot of things must be taken on trust. So we depend on our ability to know what things are instantly, if not soon enough to avoid a mistake or misunderstanding. But the problem is that sometimes, appearances are deceptive or misleading, and your power of recognition fails when things aren’t what they seem to be. At moments like these, you can feel lost and helpless for lack of what is familiar and reliable, and this feeling is the antithesis of the knowing, confident person you want to be.

Your desire to be knowing and confident enough to never feel lost and helpless is fear shaping your approach to life, and you see this, but what is there to do about it? You are fear itself, always striving through one approach or another to be free of striving, and it’s exhausting. This could go on until death, or it could end right now…or so you’re told by those you trust are enlightened.

You really don’t know what to do, and you would do nothing if you could, but you can’t stop being what you are or turn into something else. All you can do is carry on as usual, but with unusual interest in what you’re doing.

1 Like

It is a very clear description of your state of mind. But if I may say, why do you use the you all along ? Do you see all this as separate from yourself ?

For this forum, I find the first person, singular or plural, can be preachy, presumptuous,or confessional, and the third person is too detached.

And the you is …?

You’re the reader. You tell me.

I can’t. I don’t know . That’s why I’am asking you. You use the word you to describe your state of mind. It give the impression that you’re talking to yourself but as being someone else. It’s strange but why not :slightly_smiling_face:. For my part I don’t see that the I is preachy, presomptuous or confessional. For the third person I agree; it is too detached. But so is the you. But it’s a matter of opinion .

1 Like

Apart from verifiable quotes, everything written in this forum is opinion.

Well, we can bridge the ‘I’ and the ‘you’ with a ‘we’, if it pleases all. The ‘you’ does sound…pointy, right?

1 Like

United, in fact it is not very important. It’s just that I was curious to understand the use of the you when talking about our own experience.

It seems as if the river of violence flows between the banks of the I and the you, but perhaps it’s a trivial matter after all…

Nice metaphor and true . But I wouldn’t say trivial matter, United, if I may . As K. put it: can one live a life without conflict?

Right, so it is important.

Pronouns are tools to communicate. Me, you, we , I … but they can be or become a source of conflict.

Therefore one is aware and understands the importance.