Tilling the soil?

When all forms of intention are absent, what happens?

How would I know? Aren’t I intention?

Maybe the answer can come from not-you?

I joke around a bunch, so you might think I’m being silly. But I’m not! (Not on purpose anyway.) Is there a non-I entity (process, movement) that can respond to: What happens when all forms of intention are absent?

I answered, “I don’t know” to your question, and I was notified that my answer was too short …

There is some blockage apart from the complexity or simplicity of the concepts. Its some strangeness that was apparent from the very first time we spoke - at first I thought I was speaking to a young californian dopehead, then as I got to know you a bit better I thought you might be highly influenced by philosophical romanticism, but obviously its not as simple as that.

Of course, we mustn’t ignore the possibility that I have difficulty explaining simple ideas plainly.

My reading is you rely quite strongly (though not exclusively) on logic and reason and rational thinking and argumentation in your explorations. Logic prevailing is a biggie for you, way bigger than for me. When I feel pushed into a corner by logic, my irrational side powers up. It’s at this point we fall into our flavor of cul de sac.

First question : do you care if what you believe is correct or true? As in, do you want to believe in more true things and less false things?

If not, we can stop there.

If so, second question : how do you determine whether something is true or false? What is the best method for checking whether something is true or not?
For example : will I be squashed by a speeding bus if I stand in front of it? How can I tell? Is a circle a square, or not? How do you tell?

I imagine that you might say that this kind of stuff is not important, and that its the stuff that logic and evidence cannot help us with that is of importance. This of course is special pleading (a fallacy) unless you can explain why it should be put into a special case. (3rd question : do we agree that “gloobigloobi bliurggh” - or any meaningless nonsense, is almost never a possible explanation?)

Also unless we know nothing at all about the subject we are concerned with, we can still use logic (to check whether we are making sense or just babbling nonsense) and if we really know absolutely nothing at all about a subject we have no reason to say we know something about it.

I am driven to get IT = grok and coincide with the true nature of reality.

Feeling, intuition, reason, contemplation are my main tools.

Assuming the gobbledygook is truly meaningless. But it’s tricky since meaning is in the beholder’s eye. What I find meaningful you could find meaningless.

At worst, this can lead to paralysis and despair. You sit around bemoaning the fact that choiceless awareness is not happening for you, and there is no way to make it happen. It’s like waiting for a knight in shining armor to rescue you, a miracle.

Is ‘tilling the soil’ for choiceless awareness to blossom just another form of poison?

Would despair also be there if you didn’t believe that there was something else (better)?
That’s what “choice” is all about, the supposed possibility of making a decision.
If you think about it, you have not chosen to be in a desperate situation.
Our habit of thinking that everything we think up must also be achievable has led to this.So why should it be possible to end up in a situation free of choice that someone tells you about?
Krishnamurti never spoke of becoming free, but of being free.
Maybe we can be free enough to look at our current situation without resistance - that would be something new, perhaps?

2 Likes

Waiting for the knight to rescue you (i.e. to be ‘graced’ by Truth) is a trap people who see there is no way to realize Truth, no path, no evolution are at risk of falling into. It’s the dark side of surrendering to what-is, wrong surrendering. But just because you can fall into a trap doesn’t mean you will. Stay ever vigilant!

Only very young children and lunatics think that everything they think up is achievable, and your question, “why should it be possible to end up in a situation free of choice”? isn’t clear.

Are you asking if it’s possible to be free of yourself without choosing to be; to live without choosing who you are?

Where does the idea come from that you could be in a different state than you are (e.g. being choicelessly aware instead of choosing what to focus your attention on)?
Where does the idea of being able to achieve something in the psychic realm come from?
Isn’t it a habit of thought, or as Krishnamurti called it “becoming” or “movement in time”, to strive for something that is not now?
It’s not just children and lunatics who do this, it seems to me to be something quite commonplace to fantasize about what could be.
So if we are in despair, because we cannot be choicelessly aware though we want to, why not look at that despair without choice?

2 Likes

When we are in despair, consciously or unconsciously, we instinctively move away from the despair: denial, escape, fantasy, problem-solving. Looking at the despair requires we intentionally choose to look. Choice is involved from the beginning.

Despair is the fact. Escaping it are the choices made to get away from it, not see it, not understand it, not face it. When the escapes stop, the ‘despair’ is what is. There is no intention or choice, it is in front of your face. Then it can be understood for what it is. It can be seen through…or we can come up with a new way to escape it.

Maybe it’s found to be just a ‘sensation’?

1 Like

I understand what you mean (to the extent anyone can understand anyone else). Let us say you, for whatever reason, are not driven to escape from your despair. Your despair is there staring at you, no veils, no resistance. I see how there is no choice in experiencing the despair in this situation. But there is, I think, choice involved in understanding it, learning from it, harkening to it.

I find this question confusing. Are you asking why the brain’s content reacts to choiceless awareness?

Where does the idea of being able to achieve something in the psychic realm come from?

Isn’t this a complicated way of asking, What is imagination?

isn’t it a habit of thought, or as Krishnamurti called it “becoming” or “movement in time”, to strive for something that is not now?

Striving to become something achievable is commonly known as ambition or aspiration. Striving to become something that is not achievable is what Krishnamurti called “becoming”.

So if we are in despair because we cannot be choicelessly aware though we want to, why not look at that despair without choice?

If I’m in despair because I can’t be choicelessly aware
Can I be choicelessly aware of my despair?

It seems to me that recognizing despair and naming it as such already has the character of an unconscious reaction. It is not a conscious choice, the feeling that arises due to a naming during the thought process of striving already has the desire for “problem solving” in it.
The question seems to be why a rising feeling or mood is a problem that needs a solution in the first place. Feelings and moods are fleeting, why do we have to resist them? Or is it all so unconscious that we can’t help it and therefore have no choice?

1 Like

I’d say that the content of consciousness reacts to the content of consciousness, recognizes and names it, this causes problems, not choiceless awareness. To name “what is” is a kind of choice, made by our content.

That is what we do, I guess.

We could ask what despair is, apart from the word?

‘To us, freedom means choice. Choice means confusion. You don’t choose if you’re clear… it’s only the confused mind that chooses. Awareness takes place only when there is no choice or when you’re aware of all the conflicting choice…’ . It is based on this idea that Krishnamurti comes up with ‘choiceless’ awareness’, which in itself sounds contradictory. In fact, you don’t have to be inevitably confused if you are to choose. It depends on the moment and the context. Saying you’re confused when you’re about to make a decision doesn’t sound right. Also, saying that awareness is clarity and having the need to add the idea of choiceless to it is just redundant and makes one question whether after all awareness can also be confused awareness. One cannot judge one’s behaviour by sticking to these expressions, that is what paralyses and makes one feel in distress and hopeless. Krishnamurti is about moving, digging, going deeply, it’s a matter of living intensity.

1 Like