The self

Does the self believe that, if it can just end thought, it will become a perfect self?

Patricia,

Is becoming better, more perfect, and for K peeps - ending thought, ummm… which gives a complete understanding of the raison d’être of the desire to become?

Richard - thank you. Anyone is most welcome to post anything on here that relates so strongly to what is being questioned.

2 Likes

Patricia,

You see, when Charley was under 11 months of age, Charley used to be curious about everything, still curious. So Charley would shove one’s little head between the balcony lathes, bottle in mouth, and every now and then some unsuspecting guy with a hat, would pass under, and Charley would drop the bottle the moment he was directly under the head (Charley was on the 3rd floor); and inevitably, the bottle would fall just after he passed… This experimentation went on and on - many broken bottles - despite mom wagging her finger at Charley at dropping bottles, and threatening not to give Charley the bottle anymore. Eventually, Charley figured it out. lol, almost injuring some man in the process. lol

So one wonders, at what point does such observation, curiosity about the world around oneself move into the area of how one behaves psychologically, eh?

Hi again Patricia,

One wonders about that point, because the moment one’s exploration of one’s environment migrates into the psychological arena must involve some choice/decision/reaction/event?, eh?

Is the self playing ‘god’ with the universe?

What happens when a fata morgana is seen as a fata morgana and no longer as the place where one finds water and peace?

What happens when a rainbow appears on the horizon?

Both only take on a physical space and form in our brains and at some point cease to exist.

Both are unable to defend themselves let alone dissolve, the same with the self,
a nice name would be ‘fata persona’.

Does the self believe it is a unique individual - in competition with all other selfs?

Yes - though we can strenghten the self by banding together to form families, clans etc

Can self evolve from identifying with part/individual to whole/totality? As in:

I am (identify as) me.
I am a member of my family.
I am a member of my species.
I am a member of all living things.
I am a member of all things.
I am all-that-is.

1 Like

You left out

I am nothing.

Yes! Is “I am all-that-is” the same as “I am nothing?”

Nothing and everything, I suppose.

No ‘I’.

Body brain yes but no ‘I’.

1 Like

A teacher I like said identifying as everything or nothing were both fine, different sides of the same coin, it’s when you identify as some things but not others that you get in trouble!

1 Like

I “get in trouble” when I think that I exist.

Happens every time. :shushing_face:

What physical/physiological effects does the self impose upon the body?

I assume the I you are talking about is not your body-brain. What is it?

Fight/flight and desire?

Does the self exercise authority over the body?

Yes to a degree but the ‘wolf’ will have its way.