The explosion of meditation

The Immeasurable has posted recently these two extras from K writing/dialogue:

#1: “Thought shattering itself against its own nothingness is the explosion of meditation” - K’s Notebook
#2: Thought and energy are the same. Energy is the same, only it is used in the wrong direction, and when it is used wrongly all the mischief is brought into being. Is it possible to have, not various energies, but total energy that is not the result of resistance, conflict and all the rest of it? - K’s Public Talk 2 Paris, France - 19 May 1966

I know that my following observation can be seen (and probably is), an intellectual and logical deduction nevertheless here is what I would like to say: it seems that K is saying that the end of thought is a release of energy.
Thought can’t figure it out anything, per se, but it can contain energy, which prevents meditation. To me this is quite a statement, cause I haven’t look at thought as “carrier” of energy. Or maybe “carrier” is not the right word ??, maybe thought is surviving on this energy…by grabbing on to it ???

When I am sitting, observing, I might not see there is something called energy. On the other hand I might have feelings, sensations, and also begin to notice all around there are sounds, breezes, and other little movements. This is energy. Light, matter, life, has energy. Now we may become attuned to the whole thing and be immersed in a subtle energy. It is subtle. Talking together, feeling this whole organic energy, there are ongoing changes in the energy, just as there are changes in the sounds, light, and other things around and about. While talking together there are noticeable changes in the energy. Is this caused by thought, or are we thinking it is some one factor which has a cause? So thought is a fragmentation. Attuned to the whole organic energy, not fragmented, language is used to talk. The energy may come from somewhere, scientifically, but its organic actuality is what we are living with.

Energy noun
en.er.gy plural energies

1. a dynamic quality
    b the capacity of acting or being active

2. effort

3. That which is transferred between parts of a system as its capacity for work or
    physical change.

4. usable power (ie. heat, electricity…)

Thought is definitely a usable power, it is the basis of effort and a cause of action - so according to the dictionary, can be said to agree with the statement : Thought is energy.

I want to say, this seems obvious (after the fact :innocent:) thought has got us to the moon, and to the brink of war - highly dynamic stuff.
Thus the essential importance of realising that now that we have had this interesting thought it will lead us somewhere, to some experience and conclusion - which will lead us somewhere else - unless we are free from our thoughts, just like I am free from the little bird I can see in my garden. (when it flies away, or I turn away, it has gone without a trace)

I would advise you to look at the conversations of Krishnamurti and Anderson, the last parts of these conversations where meditation is the subject.
If I may reveal to you my personal view on the subject, I would like to point out that energy represents one side of what we understand in other contexts as mind or even perception. Like we can understand a ball as a globe, geometrical shape, but also as a playing device. If we understand mind under the form of perception, then we see it in its superficial relation to everything we are dealing with.If we speak of energy, then we look at the mind from the side that we are active in this relationship, bring something forth. about the power to bring something forth, to be creative. And Krishnamurti’s view in this context is that the movement of thought, which is time, is a movement that keeps the mind in a fixed structure. We have an awareness of this when we speak of patterns. Now what makes Krishnamurti special is that he postulates that the mind can also operate without being bound in this structure. He calls the corresponding way of life meditation. And he tells us that with it the potentially creative energy, which has been caught up in the support of the patterns by the movement of thought and has thus been spent senselessly, can freely unfold its potential.
A misunderstanding in quoting Krishnamurti comes in through his wording, since he speaks of thought as something that is used. Because such formulation, which appears superficially correct, leads immediately to the question what to do to use it correctly. And already one is weighing this according to the own possibilities and external means to check this.That means one is in the process of image building.

1 Like

Indeed thought is a dissipation, frittering away of energy. So when there is natural cessation of thought one feels more energetic and vital.