Tabula Rasa Exploration

All simple phenomena is part of this infinitely complex universe.

The feeling that I will only be happy if I can have some ice cream, or that I cannot bear the suffering of discomfort - is a simple pattern. It is directly part of/linked to stuff like neurons, blood vessels, our ancestors, and the life and death of distant stars etc etc…

Where is the confusion? How will my knowledge of the simple facts or the less simple facts help me?

Is my problem the lack of cosmological, or biological, or electrical etc knowledge?

rickScott: If we are really present, fully in flow, free from time (past, future, now), are beliefs/authorities nullified?

saurab: what is the need to nullify authority when you are on a K forum obviously because of his influence on you. And this good influence is what gentle, kind, genuine authority is all about. The other kind of authority of those gurus and teachers who use declarative remarks in their teachings instead of exploratory remarks, can be left aside. But there is no need to leave aside genuine authority, any more than leave aside good influences. K may have said that he is not an authority, but it is clear to me that he was an authority of a different kind. In his dialogues with David Bohm, he played the role of the authority. That is clear from the way he used to steer the conversation. And it is good that he did that because he understood more about life than David Bohm.

Now let us talk about beliefs: What is a belief ? Dont answer this question by quoting Krishnamurti. Let us see what it is. There are some beliefs that are sheer nonsense like the kids’ belief in Santa Claus. Then there are some other beliefs like the belief in the existence of a burning hell. This belief is unproven, so you can reject this as well, unless you have an experience that proves to you that hell does indeed exist. So until that time, you can reject this belief. Then there is a belief in God. This also is unproven, so you can reject this as well. Then there is belief in patriotism. But going by the effects of patriotism, like war and hatred and cunning diplomacy, you can reject patriotism as well.

Next, come beliefs that are of a more personal nature, like your believing that the world is just or unjust, fair or unfair. This belief should not be rejected, but understood. We should understand fully about the way we consider the world to be, otherwise our whole life may be conditioned by this belief. But this is an example of a belief that is personal and therefore should not be rejected but thoroughly understood.

Then there are other personal beliefs, like if you work hard you will have a good time in the office and you might be promoted. This is an example of a trivial belief. so you can ignore it. (you dont need to be a perfect man with zero beliefs. there is no competition here as to who can be the most perfect NON-believer).

then there is a belief in the way you personally have dealings with the law of karma. this belief should be understood. no need to reject such a belief. just a need to refine the understanding of the way this law operates.

then there are beliefs specific to the religion you have been born into. For example, for hindus, there may be a belief in the various gods and goddesses. Since you do not really know for a fact the reality behind the claim that they are indeed gods and goddesses, hindus can safely reject this belief as well.

My main point is that having no or very few beliefs is not an indication of spiritual maturity. There is more to spirituality than just ending some or all beliefs. For example, just by having no beliefs, you may not become a loving person. You may not be able to forgive some thing extremely nasty that your friend did to you, just by ending all beliefs. So there is much more to life than just ending beliefs and authority.

As I see it, it won’t. The ‘problem’ is in awareness.

Here on the river we’ve had some first time visitors in all the years lived here: four Brown Pelicans. They’re sitting on dock pilings when they are not diving for fish.

When I look at them I see their size, shape, coloring, etc. At the same time there are my reactions to them, pleasure, excitement, memories of having seen them elsewhere, what knowledge I have about them, etc. My psychological reactions separate me from them. My reactions are the ‘observer’ and they are the ‘observed’. But when there is an awareness of the birds AND my reactions to them, then the observer ‘me’ is no longer separate from the observed. It is ‘one’. It is the ‘awareness’ that unifies what was perceived as separate. This is the ‘trap’ the free mind falls into with the separation of observer / observed. That is the main problem as I see it. There may be others.:slightly_smiling_face:

PS This is important because if my “relationship” to the birds only includes the awareness of them and not my reactions to them, then they are being seen through the past, the ‘me’. But with the inclusion of the ‘me’ in the relationship by ‘attention’, there is no longer the past as ‘me’ separate from them.

PPS This is not rocket science. But I think there has to be experimentation with this when one is quiet so there is a possibility of it arising when there is a crisis. It has been described as the ‘art of awakening in the moment’.

I like the word “relationship”, as in what are we aware of? Are we aware of an idea (eg. an itchy nose)? Or are we aware of our reaction to the idea of an itchy nose (eg. AAArghh!)?

Where did they use to hang out? Further South?

“Spiritual maturity” = compassion? The capacity to see beyond ourselves?

What stops us seeing beyond ourselves? Or is more a question of becoming spiritual or allowing spiritual?

I think it rather depends on what one means by “conditioning”.

If all one means is one’s belief in Father Christmas, a 6 day creation, the divine right of Kings, the perfect future communist state, or a belief in the Atman, ‘God’, etc - then, granted, getting rid of any one of these will not be very transformative.

But if by conditioning one means fear, suffering, attachment, egocentrism - the whole movement of psychological thought, with its psychic centre of ‘me’ and ‘mine’, its assumption of a psychological past and future - then the emptying of this would be grounds for something truly unique.

Can one really love so long as psychological thought - as ego - predominates?

2 Likes

Even this bit seems like a confused pipe dream - Understanding might free us from confusion though?
Is it possible to see that I am confused (and my various beliefs in conflict with each other) at least?
Is it possible to see (in its simple, actual form as it is experienced) what suffering is?
Surely it is - but then we move away. Which for some might mean into hoping to find the ultimate wisdom that will procure the non-suffering self. (which might be a a logical impossibility - though easily hoped for)

How odd, I didn’t delete any post! Maybe I have a secret anti-admirer with super forum powers?

It’s easy enough to feel suffering, it’s dare I say a universal aspect of zee human condition oui?

But to see suffering in the way that ‘seeing’ is used in this forum, not so easy.

There are times I try to see what’s going on in the present moment and I just can’t ‘find’ it! It’s as if my mind blanks out when I try to see it. If I otoh need to see the present moment, it usually works.

Are you sure? Do you know this is true because you’re living it? If not, this is one of your beliefs.

I think this is where the tabula rasa exploration might lie.

“Seeing”, as I imagine it might mean for the special K people, can be left aside as my conditioned imagination. So we shall stay with what we actually see.

Whatever I cannot see, or whatever I imagine I should be finding, we will leave aside for the same reasons - no? For example, it is no use trying to observe an itch, if the memory (aka false memory?) of the itch has already been replaced by my reaction to the itch (eg. AAArrghhh my unbearable itch!!!) Or if my sadness has been replaced by my desire to see my sadness.

Maybe you can clear up what you mean by “if I need to see the present moment, I can”?

But, to continue in the meantime, when we are feeling uncomfortable, psychologically, that is the situation - the experience that we can all see/feel - correct?
What is the next step? What needs to happen next for the special seeing that liberates?

Good point.

I mean the desire to see skews the process, whereas doing it because the situation calls for it doesn’t, it’s more organic.

Why hypothesize there is a seeing that liberates?

Because it’s reasonable. If what I’m seeing is distorted by my conditioned response, I’m not seeing what’s actually present. Seeing what actually is, is liberation from what “I” see.

1 Like

Are you implying that we should all shut up and have no opinion and merely listen to your opinions? !

@Examiner strange that one should conclude this. It doesn’t seem to arise from Rick’s mission statement - its about experimenting with being free from our own opinions, but nothing indicates that we should kowtow to his.

Because that seems to be what our discussion is about.
Because it seems that logically, it is necessarily so. ie. If a problem is seen in its entirety, its no longer a problem (psychologically, and/or indicates the correct actions if we are dealing in practical issues) eg. If I understand what a shadow is, I no longer wonder why its always following me around.
Because it seems to me to be the case.

We are inquiring into the truth of the suppositions step by step. If we can/want.

I see that we deleve into other topics naturally and it is difficult to control the trajectory of thread.

Maybe my reply could be irrelevant, if it is share your thoughts on that.

Friends, after reading some replies above, I got some doubts. How do we decide on a good or bad influence? Why should I end my belief in myself? What is the problem with beliefs? What is Spiritual Maturity? When does maturity takes place in us?

To be frank, I felt that belief is the natural aspect of the mind and I do not have a valid reason to control it inside :grinning:. As I try to control the uncontrollable things inside (like controlling ourselves after having some guilty pleasures ), even after listening to Jiddu words over these years.

Maybe strong motives of better life, image and other things inside us will stop us seeing beyond ourselves(it could be wrong also). What happens if a person does not have a motive in life? Is it possible to live without motive?

There is no choice in the matter - knowledge of good or bad arises spontaneously (the delusion of choice just means that we necessarily choose good over bad - conflict can of course arise if we feel that something is good & bad).
This is why we say that the self & its suffering (constant movement away from bad) is the knowledge of good & evil. Knowledge of good and bad is part of the self.

Can you at least see why it would be a good idea to end false beliefs? Which implies also why we should not believe in stuff for bad/fallacious reasons - and why we should be open to reason.

1 Like

Some are fallacious as you said and due to that, I had to go through inner conflict. what is the remedy for that?
Now I am having a feeling that living a life without any conflict is creating another conflict inside. I do not want to impose my statements on others but I am telling for my case only.

Jiddu has thought us many practical things in life, I think that knowledge is very limited to sustain in our societies. Society is as complicated as I am :slight_smile:. What can I say?

By reasoning, I get some information that is pure but the rest is unknown for me.