Speaking Freely

It’s very complicated. No one actually knows about it. Only they point out the words in scriptures (Vedas & Upanishads).

Only there was/is this ‘one/unlimited/etc…’ - subtle/non-material being. But then ‘illusion’ created/comes into being(which is an attribute of this ‘one’), which is called as “Maya” - and give birth to “Brahma(gross being)” - who created & expanding this universe. One day this ‘Brahma’ is also going to die and born again - until every individual soul comes out of ‘ignorance’.

See first it was/is like a ‘ocean without tides’. Then a movement takes place which forms illusion and there are tides(represent themselves as different from ocean due to ignorance).

This ignorance is built up and is the very attribute/character of this ‘One’.

And so, those who see/feel the ‘truth/god/etc…’ says that - this illusion/maya - is the god’s play/plan. It’s all is his will. But without knowing it - the individual soul (‘I’), creates it’s own will/plan/play(thoughts) and get caught in it.

No children can escape it - there is no doubt in it. But all Educator-Learners couldn’t be in choice-less awareness, as K did. K himself tried in many teacher’s discussions - to show them - but they couldn’t grasp/listen - and they themselves continue as ‘teacher’ as in other schools.

Even Buddha/Adi shankara/Swami Vivekananda started an alt-way of schools like that. Until their leave - it’s somewhat good. But after their death - it couldn’t serve its purpose. It happens.

But if we bring it back to the process Krishnamurti outlined and which I mentioned above. In the brain there is sensation, and then recording. Recording is a remarkable thing which appears to be a natural function of the brain in much the same way as dialysis is for the kidneys. This also appears to be an automatic function and hence unconscious in that it is not readily observable in real time. The outcome of that as a memory which can form the basis of knowledge is likewise too fast a process to see the very instance of its being laid down. The part of the process I am most conscious of is thinking which is said to be a response to memory. So prior to any thinking, and any consciousness is the formation of memory, which follows on from recording, nothing of which seems capable of being deflected by anything else in the brain. Then there is the factor of awareness or listening as set against the movement of thought as consciousness and where that comes in.

Shall we discuss this?

See - as you said - every time,
1st - senses sees a thing
2nd - pass information to brain
3rd - records as memory
these are being in ‘now’ - a ‘continues flow’ - it does not affects consciousness/attention/awareness.

But, when thought comes in - it itself a past - and from that past creates an illusion (i.e. what should be). How this thought comes in - is what we have to ‘observe’.

Because the consciousness/etc… is present always. It does not comes in or goes out. But this thought or conditioned mind - covers it and makes an illusion that - the consciousness is not present at all.

When we drive a vehicle - we are conscious in it. The brain records everything - it’s of not a problem. But when the view change - the senses(eyes) see a ‘Gym’ while driving. Immediately ‘thought’ comes in and says “I must go to this gym and workout for 6 months,etc…” - here the ‘consciousness’ in which we were driving the vehicle - is illusioned/deceived/covered by thoughts(i.e.memory/past), and sub-consciousness takes control of driving (which it stored as a habit - due to repeated times). If someone crosses suddenly in a very high speed - then the sub-conscious mind doesn’t know how to control the vehicle (as it does not have this incident in a repeated way - to record). But if no thought arises while driving - there is only pure consciousness/choice-less awareness/etc… whatever name ‘one’ calls it - and easily tackles the situation - as it is in the ‘now’.

So - how this thought springs in - let’s observe that.

We store some desires/beliefs/ideas/image of everything in our memory. It is there in a sleeping form. When the senses contacts (i.e. eyes - see, ears - hear, body - touches, nose - smells, tongue - tastes) an object/person related to the above desires - immediately the sleeping desires/beliefs/ideas/images - wakes up in form of thoughts.

So, in the above example - our mind was previously conditioned by an ‘idea’ to “lose weight and look handsome”. This idea is sleeping and when eyes sees the object(Gym) - immediately it wakes up in form of thoughts and seeks pleasure in that illusion and makes a desire - run/work for it - etc… - etc…

This is my observation. You bring forth yours too - let’s find out and inquire together

We know these are the constituent elements in the continual noise the brain is, and are given to understand this process effectively displaces the quiet that is required for observation to be, but that knowledge does not bring about a quiet brain does it?

That knowledge does not brings mind - quiet. Only observing this whole continuous noise(i.e. ‘I’) - the brain becomes quiet and then ‘that’ knowledge flowers.

And it’s upto one - to observe this whole ‘self’ or to live with sufferings,etc…

So in observation, which is a faculty the brain is, like sensing or recording, the thinking process may be revealed, whereas in thinking itself, the thinking process is largely concealed?

We can’t divide it as a faculty.

We observe the tree. Right?. Same as it is.

What I am trying to get at here is, the brain is naturally sensing, recording, storing (memory/knowledge) and from out of the later is said to emerge thinking with the thinker, as a response. Now call sensing or recording an ability, a capacity, a function, a faculty the brain is…whatever right? So now where does observing fit in the pantheon of the brain’s operations as it were? Ordinarily I cannot set out to record, recording just is, and I could not start/stop recording if I tried. So what of observing? What is the function of observing in the brain?

We cannot stop recording. It’s nature. We cannot stop it.

I say that - just observe the ‘thought’ without any belief/idea/etc… like K said to observe a ‘tree’.

In that very observation - thought - which is a movement in time - past,present and future - stops.

Yes, but what does that mean? What if I say just sense the thought, just record the thought, just store the thought?

It is another conditioning.

See - we saw that - thought arises because of,

Right?

Thought - goes on thinking - what to do - to seek pleasure from these desires/etc…

In the very observation (i.e. looking without desire/belief/etc…) - thought stops.

And what remains is there is ‘what-is’(i.e. sufferings of Humanity).

@caviswa_gmail_com

Let me try again. If you tell me to just record the tree, when recording is not in my remit, recording is just a function of the brain I exercise no control over, but then you tell me instead, just observe the tree, what then is that? When I do not exercise control over recording, what part of the brain initiates observing to order?

Sorry. You asked it before. I didn’t respond to it.

Recording & observation is different.

Recording is not in our hands. But observation is in our hands.

In observation - it is like meditation with eyes open. Just watching the tree - without any acknowledgement - as such.

When thought comes and says “I have to go to gym - for this,that” - and goes on - in this process also brain records. But if you observe the thought - It is like a wave - and in that observation - it calms down.

Recording & thought is different - let’s discuss now.

See - Recording is a continues process - there is no need of memory for it. But thought - it is a past - it needs a memory to think.
Recording is a nature/law - as you said - like digestion/reproduction/etc… we cannot stop it’s recording - unless the senses stops. We cannot stop it.

But thought is an imagination which has a beginning - it has it’s roots.

So don’t try to control recording - just observe ‘thoughts’ - it calms down & stops. Even when thoughts stop - the recording goes on - like the eyes - sees, noes - smell something and it’s recorded.

And - you asked which part in the brain - it doesn’t matter at all. Scientists is not clear in every research they found about cerebrum,cerebellum,etc… - they just track the neurons and say that this were it arises - but it’s not a proof. The lightening in nerves is just a reaction. We can’t find materially - where it arise.

1 Like

Our normal activity is like this: I am walking in familiar woods and thinking about something. My eyes are on the ground because there are roots hidden under the leaves and you can trip on them or twist an ankle if you don’t avoid them. So the seeing is going on along with the thinking about something, when the eye spots something on the trail that could be a stick or also could be a snake. Thinking stops and attention focuses on the object. When it’s determined that there is no danger, walking and thinking resume. So the brain is recording the ground ahead but attention to it is minimal. Thinking about the subject goes on. What is missing here is observation of the thought. As well as the sensations of the body
in movement, the joints etc.

Yes. Thinking stops for a moment - because of fear - and after found that it’s not harmful - thought comes and continues. In every process when thought is there or not - recording does not stops - it goes on.

Shall i ask you something? Why do one has to have thoughts while walking in woods?

Why can’t we see the beauty of the woods?

That is a question that comes up often for me. I suppose it is that my thoughts are far more interesting than a bunch of trees? :laughing:

1 Like

:grin: :sweat_smile:

So - ‘thought’ gives much more pleasure by bringing the ‘past’ more than the woods (i.e. now)

That seems to be the case. The “Now” is an acquired taste?

Acquired taste means?

Yes. I googled it.

Yes - we just set a ‘belief/idea’ that - it is just a tree - and so it is.

Something that you have to get used to…living in the past is our ‘normal’ state.

1 Like