Remove attachment

So the most obvious twisted idea would be :

So although I was trying to respond to my interlocutors questions, I injected my pet theories of self immediately (his initial statements make no mention of the idea).
I planned to ask clever questions about the experience of self that would eventually lead to the outcome (insight thanks to inquiry of our own experience) I had in mind.

Very twisty indeed.

Now this might not be what you were hoping for - but I can pick out some statements of yours to argue about if you like. Some are posed in a really twisty sentence structure, so Iā€™d probably go with one of them to start with, and on and onā€¦ and on

If you think it would be elucidating and others would benefit from it, why not ā€œpick out some statementsā€ of mine that ā€œare posed in a really twisty sentence structureā€?

I was seeking views on my thoughts. This might help me in being more detached in future.

Thanks ! Your response validates my thought. I would welcome any other thought on this.

Are you saying how is one to die to all attachments?

It seems that the brain needs to feel secure? It finds that sense of security in ā€˜attachingā€™ itself psychologically to things, people, beliefs etc? Filling itself in effect? Society fosters attachment believing it makes life richer, more ā€˜rewardingā€™ etc. It holds as truth that attachment (belief in a religion e.g.) is a human right and in the case of religion, nationalism etc, is fiercely defended in many countries. I think I have to ask myself the question that perhaps the brain is seeking ā€˜securityā€™ in the wrong way? Attachment stemming from the fear of being alone, of being ā€˜nothingā€™ can only temporarily satisfy the brainā€™s need for total security. The total security may in fact, be in being ā€˜nothingā€™?

Yes, youā€™d think that the brain would learn that seeing security through attachment brings only temporary relief from insecurity and, instead of seeking new, more durable attachments would learn to live with insecurity by being more alert and attentive than attached to whatever relieves one of that responsibility.

The essence of attachment is believing something is true, (lying to oneself), and residing foolishly with the false sense of security it engenders.

Alan Watts wrote the book ā€œThe Wisdom of Insecurityā€ wherein he mentions Krishnamurti, which led me to Krishnamurtiā€™s talks and dialogues.

It is a ā€˜quantum leapā€™ to go from being something, someone, to being nothing!
ā€˜Little by littleā€™ doesnā€™t seem to cut it.
The entire process of thinking has to be grasped; there is awareness for a while and then we ā€˜becomeā€™ itā€¦we ā€œdrop it in the middleā€ as K said.

Do you know this or is it your belief?

The entire process of thinking has to be grasped; there is awareness for a while and then we ā€˜becomeā€™ itā€¦

Again, are you speaking from what happened to you or is this what you think happens?

we ā€œdrop it in the middleā€ as K said.

Iā€™d like to read this in context. When/where did K say it?

The Brain only knows insecurity and pain. To escape from insecurity or pain it invents security in ideas or nations. There is no security in anything that thought has created is there?

1 Like

Isnā€™t it the very movement of thought as the ā€˜me and mineā€™ that actually creates the insecurity? That is why as I see it, the whole of this movement of thought/self has to be seen, grasped, become aware of, followed etc whatever term you want to use.

K said follow the thought from beginning to end and donā€™t drop it in the middleā€¦(drop it or drop out?)

Awareness of it, is freedom from it, non-awareness of it, is slavery to it?

Yes, it stands to reason that the brain must be aware of when/if awareness is compromised or corrupted by its conditioning, but I donā€™t know how, why, or if this comprehensive awareness might actually occur.

The brain had no choice but awareness of actuality until desire/fear chose to defy, deny, or distort what awareness reveals, and this is the condition we have lived with forever, it seems, and will continue to live with until/unless we awaken to what madness it is.

K. To be extensively aware, there must be no condemnation or justification of the problem; awareness must be choiceless. To be so aware demands wide patience and sensitivity; it requires eagerness and sustained attention so that the whole process of thinking can be observed and understood.

Commentaries on Living Series I | Obsession

Yes so the ā€˜seeking of securityā€™ has to be seen, not condemned and as he said, not justified either, just be aware of choicelessly.

K. To be so aware demands wide patience and sensitivity; it requires eagerness and sustained attention so that the whole process of thinking can be observed and understood.