Reactions ,inward and outward

In the dialogue there is some contact when a person speaks to the group and it is being received. As this is received there is some kind of ‘sensation’ as this form of ‘energy’ is expressed and received. At this point it was expressed in the dialogue that perhaps some sort of signal or message does something with that sensation. It was stressed perhaps that this may be where attention should be… perhaps staying with it,if a feeling or emotion is then apparent.
When participants respond at this point…quickly perhaps., could it be that the reaction has already happened… maybe too fast for it to be truly seen… but then in the verbal responses participants may then give voice to… these responses are actually very connected to what had been missed by the participant when they received what was said before… which had given rise to a barely perceived reaction.
Frequently, what was shown when participants voiced a response to another… weren’t there actually the feelings of frustration ,irritation…or even a mild form of anger —- being expressed …verbally?
Perhaps this was similar to the reactions being present during the hearing/ receiving of the initial spoken address to the group.
So, is there a ‘clue’ in this in regards to seeing/ having attention etc to our own reactions?

Are you suggesting perhaps that the anger is there from the start? When anger comes out later as a display of verbal conflict it is fairly easy to see; yet that anger must also exist as an inchoate feeling right at the beginning of our meeting one another. Does this make sense? Is this the clue?

1 Like

It’s not quite the way I was seeing it, but certainly related.
Our reactions come from memory as reflex type movements after the contact made from , for example what another says and the ‘sensation’ … the reflex reaction giving rise to the initial sensation being ‘translated’ as a feeling of discomfort, frustration or anger. In my previous post I was considering the feelings of , for example ‘frustration’ being a milder more subtle form of what is usually considered ‘anger’.
Then , if one still hasn’t managed to ‘suspend’ further reaction … the frustration/ irritation or anger may appear to come out in the verbal reply to what was said/ received.
I can see that all manner of ‘feelings’ are in our conditioned memories. … including ‘anger’.I see thoughts/ feelings as interconnected.
Thanks for your response.

Yes, our thoughts and feelings are tied intimately together. What is the sensation of being in a dialogue? Our thoughts and feelings about what a dialogue is supposed to be will dictate what sensations arise. Therefore, if we are confused about what we are doing and what it is that a dialogue offers, this confusion will inevitably surface fairly quickly. Is a dialogue a search for something? If so, frustration and anger will be embedded in its fabric from the start because we shall always be more concerned with getting somewhere else. Or is a dialogue an opportunity to find out what happens when we don’t search beyond the room in which we are all sitting?

1 Like

I’m seeing ‘sensation’ , not as what is considered to be ‘feelings ‘ or emotions… but what is purely picked up by the sense organs from ‘contact’ prior to what is felt afterwards with thought/feeling as memory / images etc …what follows from any conditioning.
So far , what may be visible in the dialogue is that there are our reactions taking place … which we may or may not be aware of.
As I’ve suggested earlier… sometimes the lack of awareness inwardly is demonstrated by the outward expressions… vocalised. … and that the feelings may be similar.
It’s also apparent as in most dialogue groups that participants are what I’d describe as ‘coming from different places’. Almost like from different planets… but with some basic understanding of a common language.
Participants will appear to have different ‘images’ of what they may hope for, or expect. Generally our education , knowledge and conditioning has had its effect. With some awareness of this … some will look for a deepening of understanding of this.
If or when we have ‘expectations’ and what they are, and where they come from … may become apparent in the dialogue.
At the moment there is the potential to see oneself in relationship, and beyond that the potential for real sharing… potential which may or may not be realised and may or may not lead to greater possibilities of understanding .
A work in progress , while there is dialogue .

This potential is the sensation of being in a dialogue. It is like a bubbling energy waiting to be released.

1 Like

Perhaps. Maybe if the ‘sensation ‘ could be considered as the ‘raw’ energy … unadulterated by conditioned thought/ feeling/ time. However, I see ( for the moment) as what is largely expressed outwardly as being conditioned reactions containing all the elements of conflict, fear, attachment , hurt… authority. With this distortion away from the potential ,may be where the sorrow of humanity lies.

It is an unknown energy. Our first impulse is to control it. But once the desire to control has subsided, our whole relationship to this energy has already been transformed.

1 Like