Observing. Look at Everything as Though for the First Time

So it happens that I am a human being dissatisfied with the life I live, so I decide to go listen to someone talk to me about my dissatisfaction and its causes, to see if I can free myself from this constant dissatisfaction…

So I go and listen to what K, Jesus, Buddha or anyone else says about my dissatisfaction and unhappiness and its causes, and I understand that what they say has a certain logic so I decide to put into practice some of the things they say.

And it turns out that accidentally, in the middle of those “practices”, a door opens that allows me to see that that wonderful house in which I lived until now and that I have been building brick by brick with much effort and suffering over the years It’s completely on fire…

And at that moment, are you telling me that I consider that devoting my effort to putting out that fire, the same effort that I previously dedicated to building that wonderful house that failed to make me happy, is too hard and boring?

Well, let me ask you then: why do people think that the spiritual path is like a game, and when they “accidentally” realize that it is not really a game but something very serious, they shit their pants/panties leaving that path thinking either (1) “even though I’m unsatisfied, that’s not for me, too much effort and boredom”, or (2) “Oh! I have seen my own house on fire! Now I can go to others and tell them that their house is also on fire and even though I have done nothing to put out the fire in mine, I can tell them how to put out the fire in theirs… and by the way, gain some money and position if possible!”?

PS: Sorry for being so sincere and going straight to the root.

This accidental insight you speak of : the realisation that all my efforts are on fire, does it include any clarification into why they are on fire, or into what effort is?

PS - I wasn’t talking about this at all, but it does sound like an interesting path of inquiry.

1 Like

In short, because the ‘known’ is NOT bearable. It is the dual mind that tries to convince itself 24/7/365 that despite its dissatisfaction it is bearable… and when it realizes that all its effort to convince itself that the ‘known’ is bearable is fruitless, it then chooses to commit suicide (in its many forms)

There is absolutely nothing that pushes that brain, because at that moment the only one that has the power to decide whether or not to cross the “door” is the brain of the ‘known’.

Yes, but at that moment it is the ‘known’ that is observing all this ‘new information’, and its natural reaction is to be afraid to enter the ‘new’ (although some minds decide to enter despite that fear).

Without seeing that the ‘house is on fire’ the brain isn’t going anywhere!

1 Like

@DanMcD - “Without seeing that the ‘house is on fire’ the brain isn’t going anywhere!”

Yes, the ‘problem’ is that most of the time that brain thinks that ‘the house is on fire’ due to any of its usual dissatisfaction, which makes it make a move, but always within the limited vision of the ‘known’. And the cycle starts all over again.

If it was true that those labels “have nothing to do with the actual thing”, Krishnamurti’s teaching (which does nothing but point to and label the actual thing), would be pointless.

To me “the house is burning” has meant among other things is that I’ll die without having even glimpsed what living as a human, was possible to see. What I was, am a part of.

What does it mean to others?

To me “the house is burning” means our species is bringing about its own extinction (along with the extinction of many other species), but that the house is still standing and the fire can be extinguished.

1 Like

I agree with that but as I see it there has to be this ‘transformation’ in some at least that ‘dispells’ this feeling of division and isolation. Not intellectually but deeply.

1 Like

You may not remember that K repeated ad nauseam that “the word is not the thing”, and that is why his words are meaningful.

Don’t we all see it that way if the house is still burning?

If the house has burned down, we can only hope to rise Phoenix-like from the ashes, with full-blown double comb-overs.

And those that ‘see it that way’ will try to pass it on to the young minds as K tried to do but with him it was with mainly adults. With the videos and writings out there, seeds will be sown.

Not necessarily! … One can see a house on fire, but what about the polarisation of a dual mind, regarding the causes of that fire and how to put an end to those causes?

So I would say that Dan is right when he says “not intellectually but deeply”.

Of course. The Mind is beyond the intellect and only the quiet brain can come in contact with it, but is that what he means by “deeply”?

According to Krishnamurti, the human brain is not freed from the human condition by doing something like digging deeper, but by awakening to what it has been doing for millennia.

Oh, I think it’s much simpler than that @Inquiry (Dan will correct me if I’m wrong)… Deeply means simply to die to any knowledge, as opposed to what the intellectual mind does.

Just what I said…

Good night and read you tomorrow (european time here) :pray: :sleeping:

1 Like

That’s your interpretation. I wasn’t about to interpret it or assume anything because it wasn’t obvious.

Oh, of course! Mine is a mere interpretation. And yours regarding my post is what, if i may ask, the absolute truth perhaps? You have triggered my curiosity! :thinking:

I don’t know what he meant by “deeply”.

Ah, I think I understand… You don’t know what he meant by “deeply”, but you do know what “deeply” means, so whatever anyone says, if it doesn’t fit your definition, it’s merely his/her interpretation, right?

What’s this @Inquiry, a divertimento or what? :thinking:

Good morning! :pray: