Observational Inquiry vs Intellectual Inquiry?

**You should ask United78, that’s who mentioned the “walk.” My interest is in observing what’s occurring in relationship, the conditioned responses, not on telling anyone what they should or shouldn’t do. Focusing on the images or assumptions the brain is making, about an “other,” is the “ego-talk” I mentioned.

1 Like

**What about a choiceless awareness of fear, or anger, or sorrow? Or a choiceless awareness of oneself in relationship? Doesn’t the question, What is sorrow, ‘direct the attention’ to some occurrence that can be observed choicelessly?

Yes it does…to a feeling labeled ‘sorrow’ or ‘anger’, or ‘jealousy’, or ‘fear’, etc. With the motive to not escape from it, or change it only to ‘understand’ it (‘stand under it’).

Is there any anger, sorrow, jealousy, fear to observe? Or is all just me and my ideas?

**This question comes up frequently in dialogue groups. And what it seems to boil down to is, “The word is not the thing.” The word is simply a label or pointer to something being felt in the body. The feeling is real, and the suggestion is that the thought pattern that triggers the emotional response is not “yours or mine.” The system of thought is ‘one’.

DB: Now, that is clear, but I think that it will not be clear to people immediately that the consciousness of man is one inseparable whole.
K: Yes, an inseparable whole.

If we boil it down further - the question becomes : “If I think I know what sorrow etc is, what actually am I observing?”

But yes “the system of thought” is the same “one”

You seem to be presuming what I know. I don’t know how “please” can be used as “a demand or a dictate”. Perhaps you could provide an example.

Well you displayed a presumption by saying:

attempting to give the impression you are an expert in language and it’s application, which led to the presumption that you also have a life outside the screen of your computer, and are familiar with what is common knowledge, i.e., what this one said before. If you aren’t, then you might consider educating yourself if you wish, but it isn’t going to be this one as my time is used up by other engagements that i regard as more necessary.

**Great question. I suspect it would be a thinking about a remembrance of the feeling of sorrow, which is intellectual. So what is it that we think we ‘know’? Do we actually ‘know’ what sorrow is, if we don’t know or see what creates the sorrow? The intellectual inquiry is about ideas and conclusions, and an observational inquiry is about actually observing the nature of what is called sorrow, not just the ideas we have stored in the memory. It’s not about conclusions or agreement, it’s about observing. Which doesn’t exclude attempts to describe what is being observed.
Looking at this occurrence of sorrow, it appears to always involve thoughts about something happening to a ‘me’.

1 Like

This sentence is so grammatically erroneous, it’s risible. Thank you.

@Inquiry
You are welcome. One is glad you found out your true calling. I am grateful for your services here, perhaps others are too. Hopefully you will continue to provide them as needed. Some say keeping at it is how an amateur learns, which applies to fishing too I suppose. Please don’t give up. It has been fun, indeed.