Krishnamurti's love

What is the difference between what K calls love and what commonly is considered as love today ?

From my vantage point, many express love in a selective manner. For example ā€œI love that song,ā€ or ā€œlove thy childrenā€¦ā€ Is Kā€™s love an inexhaustible energy that sustains the cosmos?

When it comes to the question of love I have to be extra careful. Am I attached to something and call that attachment love ? I have to understand attachment,my attachment to people and things.

Why are you asking what K calls love? Doesnā€™t the question demand speculation, interpretation?

Can you remind me what is ā€˜wrongā€™ with speculation, interpretation?

This morning the air was cold and the river calm. Small fish in numbers I had never seen were breaking the surface. I observed them. Then the thought arose : ā€œwhy are they doing that this morning?ā€ I was curious as to the reason they were behaving this way? I wanted to add to the perception of their action, the reason behind their doing it. Speculation.

Itā€™s just a guess at what someone else means. And with K, there is no possible way to confirm if it is correct. So it is meaningless.

So why use a word like ā€˜loveā€™ which everyone uses in different ways: I love to exploit people ie, etc and say it doesnā€™t mean any of those ā€˜lovesā€™ but something very special. How are you going to consider what he meant (because you want to understand) by his using such a common, loaded word without ā€˜speculating ā€˜ about what his different ā€˜loveā€™ means?

If one is being simple, and not unnecessarily contrarian, then one has a sense of what love means - otherwise the word would have no meaning at all. Anyone with any sensitivity has a sense of what love means (it obviously does not mean the ā€˜loveā€™ of exploitation, which is simply greed), just as anyone with any sensitivity has a sense of what beauty means.

But it is one thing to have a sense of something like love or beauty; it is another thing altogether to have that sense purged of all thought, all emotional baggage, all personal sentiment and memory.

You must not be a serious K student. Speculations has no meaning when it comes to the teachings.

Maybe but arenā€™t you speculating about what he meant by ā€˜loveā€™? With all that ā€œpurgingā€?

I hope Iā€™m not! K referred to that relationship as being ā€œdestructiveā€ to both parties.

Iā€™m not speculating about what K said about love, because he said it over and over and over again! If I could suggest, please donā€™t be contrarian about these matters. It only complicates what is already - for most people - already complicated enough.

This is Michaelā€™s ā€œguessā€ (speculation). Bob says itā€™s meaningless. James says itā€™s love but purged of all the things he James mentionedā€¦how does he know that? Isnā€™t that another guess? Whatā€™s wrong with guessing? Thatā€™s my point. Someone uses a word we all know but says itā€™s not what we knowā€¦but donā€™t guess what I mean?

Iā€™ll go with Michaelā€™ Guess.

K student??? K student!!! What is going on here? This is nonsense. Iā€™m out of here.

Thatā€™s what I said. Didnā€™t you read it?

As I said already, James ā€œknowsā€ it because K talked about it a lot. K often used the word love - along with its synonyms care, affection and compassion - to talk about a quality of relationship that sometimes occurs between people, as well as between ourselves and nature. But he also said that this love - the ā€œflameā€ - can only truly be when there is no longer attachment, greed, envy, fear, sorrow, hate, jealousy, etc - the ā€œsmokeā€.

By doubling down on what you feel to be the need for speculation it seems to me that you are neglecting a very simple thing - which is the value of perceiving our lack of love.

Yes that is what is missing in us, Love (the Other). ā€œWhere the self is, the Other is not.ā€

• Your Question: What is the difference between what K calls love and what commonly is considered as love today ?
  • My Responce(s) to your question:
    #1 ā€œLove has no oppositeā€
    #2 ā€œLove is not an emotionā€
1 Like

Not just ā€œthe otherā€, but ordinary, everyday kindness and consideration. We often miss this in our obeisance to some kind of great sacrifice or speculated perfection we have reified.

The self as it manifests in daily life - as memory, thought, psychological interference with the present moment.

Is the conflict and disagreement we undergo contained within boundless love?