Is this the future of humanity?

1 Like

Looks like humanity now! These are the streets of Philadelphia–could be anywhere in America. Addiction is the separator in this video. Homelessness, limited resources, over population, yet humanity evolves through all that.

Isn’t that a false and none existent hope?

Not from my perspective. Addiction is self-annihilating. Reproduction is ceaseless and so is evolution.

It’s just sad and unfortunate. Just shows how important taking care of mental health is. Humanity has been unable to solve the issue of mental suffering, habits. Consumerism, addiction offer escape but suffering continues. Once awareness goes, deterioration happens. How aware are we?

Interesting video. Not a section I’m likely to stroll in though I’m familiar with the scenes. After watching I read up on the most psychoactive addicting drugs used here in the US. Dopamine release comes up consistently as the chemical that produces the ‘high’ that the brain keeps wanting more of. ‘Self control’ seems a naive belief once the brain decides it wants to continue that ‘high’. Is there actually any ‘controller’ other or more powerful in us than the brain?

Dopaminergic reward system: a short integrative review - PMC (nih.gov) also:
"Why do some people become addicted while others don’t? Family studies that include identical twins, fraternal twins, adoptees, and siblings suggest that as much as half of a person’s risk of becoming addicted to nicotine, alcohol, or other drugs depends on his or her genetic makeup. " Genetics and Epigenetics of Addiction DrugFacts | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) (nih.gov)

2 Likes

From the first tract above:
“Understanding the neurobiology of the addictive process allows a theoretical psychopharmacological approach for treating addictive disorders, one that takes into account biological interventions aimed at particular stages of the illness.”

We are looking at, in an ‘unscientific’ way, the role that the psychological ‘self-image’ / thought plays in human behavior? We can’t ‘see’ the processes taking place in the brain behind our behavior, only the behavior itself. And that ‘seeing’ if it is to be at all ‘scientific’ has to be without judgement and without “condemnation or justification” of what is being seen?

Aren’t we less reproductive now than we ever were? Isn’t this the trend? Might our extinction be caused not by nuclear holocaust or climate change, but by losing our ability to reproduce?

8 billion people and counting World Population Clock: 8.1 Billion People (LIVE, 2023) - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

2 Likes

What would an intelligent society do with a woman addicted to opioids who just gave birth to her 8th child? Child Welfare Services was there to take the infant as they had with the previous 7. When asked if she was ever going to stop have babies, she said she would when they let her keep one.

1 Like

You’d think a species as anti-biotic as ours would have lost the ability to reproduce a long time ago.

In the early 1900s till the 1930s she would have been a candidate for the Laurelton State Village for Feeble-Minded Women of Childbearing Age in Pennsylvania.
This is where ‘wayward’ women were confined until past childbearing age and where eugenics was practiced. (Feelings for eugenics ‘soured’ after Hitler’s Holocaust) Moron, imbecile, idiot were some of the technical terms used to ‘diagnose’ women/ girls who crossed the moral lines of the day.

From Ann Leary’s Authors Note
The Foundling

I wonder, is it possible for the mind that lives in a state of total “aloneness” not to identify itself with this, not to concern itself with this, not to have any relationship with this or anything like it?

If by living in "a state of total aloneness” do you mean the brain’s deciding, choosing, what actually is, instead of living choicelessly aware?

Thank you, Inquiry, for your response. Does the mind that has died to time think in terms of time, does it relate itself with the future? If not, does it have a place in the “we”?

What does it mean @Manuel “does it (the mind) have a place in the’we’?

I don’t know. Do you?

If not, does it have a place in the “we”?

I would say No, but it’s not for me to say what its place is or isn’t.

Thank you, danmcderm, for asking. JK has said that we are the world. So, the question is, what is the world? The world is time, abstraction, untruth, conditioning, this is the “we”; therefore, the mind that has died to time has no relationship with time, with the world, with whatever is worldly, has no place in the world as “we”, lives in “aloneness” in the sense that it is heterogeneous to the rest of us conditioned human beings.