Is thinking like a Maze or a Labyrinth?

Is thinking like a Maze or a Labyrinth, with no exit ?

• the 1st image is a labyrinth - all paths lead to a center, or, a center generates infinite paths
  • the 2nd image is a maze - that never ends and never begins

Regarding the circular labyrinth : if you start from the center and head in an easterly (righthand side) direction towards the circumference; then anti-clockwise at the circumference, you will find the exit due north (top). :clown_face:

However, I do not know if there is an edge to the space outside the labyrinth - it may be neverending.

Why do you ask?
When I think of the universe or scientific discovery, I find it fascinating, amazing that there seems to be no end to discovery.
However, if I am hoping for an ultimate answer that stops all questions, I suppose this could be a problem.

Maybe you are referring to the fact that thought is in a way giving rise to more thought. That the problems that we are drawn to solving are in a way a product of thought.

• The maze - has the paths already defined, it gives a false sense of freedom, I keep walking indefinitely, I think I have a path, I think I’ll find the exit, it gives a sense of desperation, hope, amusement, loneliness, confusion, I have no view of the whole…etc

• The labyrinth - a maze with a center, with a path that takes one to the center - (that’s the definition I found); paths that are all organized around a center, all or the path get you to the center; I enter to find the center; as I walk I already have a motive, and purpose - to reach the center. The center !

A maze/labyrinth is a land of paths, in which the thinker appears to have a sense of free will.

So, yes, a train of thought also offers us very limited choices (left/right)

But the contradictory emotions we feel are surely not magical properties emanating from the structure (of thought or of mazes) itself?

I read that the brain was compared to a maze, by James Olds and Peter Milner - -

Its not clear that this comparison is being made in the extract you provide - nor on Google - maybe chatGPT can help, but they’re busy at the moment.

Yea- I agree wrong screenshot above

• I actually came upon an an article on National G., that I could not read but in here I found the name of the scientist - and upon looking up his name I landed on the page posted above

Here is NG page I can’t fully open

Not clear in NG either.

However, inquiring into what we ourselves think and believe is information enough for us to inquire into, especially if our interest is in the state of our own brains.