Is freedom essential?

Is there not bondage to thought? To the ideas we hold, that we mistake for a true reflection of reality?

I thought this was a problem?

Although I agree that once we have understood how unfortunate this is, awareness of the process in action, offers a respite from the process.

Let´s take the classical example of the snake and the rope. You enter in a dark room where there is a rope that you mistake for a snake what brings about fear and wanting to escape from the snake that is causing fear as well as from fear itself, since there may be people who have not fear of snakes. For the one who fears the snake, it will be almost impossible to avoid the snake because the very fear is clouding his intellect, he´s a slave of fear that governs his action which uses to be but paralysis, although in the meanwhile he can write a wonderful, stunning book on the illusory stuff that, with regard to practical effects, means nothing at all, whereas the one who hasn´t fear of sneaks can keep calm, approach the snake and look at it with a clear intellect which allows him to see that it is not a snake but just a rope. Seeing that the rope is just a rope, will he hold on to the idea that the rope is a snake? Obviously no, he won´t give nor even a thought to it, as it is said, all problems and conflicts get solved in the no-mind, where is there bondage or freedom for him? Were there bondage or freedom ever? But what about the guy who has fear of snakes, of what he can come across with, in the case he approaches to what he is mistaking for a snake and looks at it, since he has already concluded that it is a snake and that he will die? What is the problem in here? You tell me.

That is what I understand JK to mean by ‘transformation’. The seeing is the doing?

(More than 20 characters)

Yes.

It’s a problem when there’s little or no awareness of one’s relationship with thought.

1 Like

Yes - A helpful model/description I think goes like this :

The realisation of what the suffering self is = the seeing
The awareness of the movement of self (which frees us from the movement) = the doing.

The one arises of itself from the other (like when falling on your arse, no effort is needed to feel the pain)