How to have a sane mind

For Krishnamurti a sane mind was a religious mind as well.

1 Like

Hi Helen,

What do you think Krishnamurti meant by ‘sane’ and ‘religious?’

1 Like

A sane mind would be a healthy mind, not beset by suffering, not unecessarily constrained.
For example, if my thoughts are constantly turning and repeating in the tiny circle of me and what I want, and this repetitive narrative affects my emotional wellbeing and actions in the physical world - it might be worth realising the useless harm of thought, noticing these thoughts as they arise and letting them go.

A religious mind would be a mind with strong ties to truth. Truth being what is actually happening, not just my experience of what is happening - thus a religious mind is one that accepts and welcomes being at a loss.

PS. I have not read the Hidley Sheldrake discussion yet

A religious mind is holy. A sane mind which has affection,love.

You might say that a sane mind is a mind that sees things as they are and responds accordingly.

When you see things as they are, does love arise? Kindness, empathy? Or is seeing clearly more neutral, just the facts, ma’am? Is an unconditioned human loving, violent, neutral?

1 Like

Love is the only adequate state in any situation.

1 Like

What do you mean by love?

Love is mystery of life. It is goodness.

1 Like

Meeting life fully means embracing its mystery and goodness? Sacred living?

1 Like

What do we know about love? Or for that matter, intelligence, compassion, freedom, wholeness, timelessness, etc.? Why do we talk about what we don’t know and cannot know when we identify with what we think we know?

2 Likes

I am sure we all have some knowledge but not complete understanding of what love is. But I think that with a discussion like this and inquiry we could enhance our understanding and possibly come close to the true meaning of love.

1 Like

From the book Think on this things: “That is the extraordinary thing about love: it is the only quality that brings a total comprehension of the whole of existence”.

1 Like

Where does love arise from? What causes it? Are we by nature love(ing)?

A sane mind as in ‘sanitary’? Not a storage receptacle for unnecessary images, beliefs, not an arena of conflict between what is and what should be. Sanitary as in clean, new, fresh?

As Jiddu Krishnamurti said Love is intelligence ,compassion means passion for all.

The mind / brain rests in deep sleep. The ‘proper’ function of thought is to solve practical challenges, calculate, plan, analyze, etc. where it went ‘wrong’ it seems, is in creating an image of myself as permanent; an image that came into ‘existence’ in childhood and will persist until death of the body and hopefully will ‘go’ somewhere ‘nice’ after that. But during life this image with its contradictions and confusions ‘suffers’ allowing the brain little rest. Psychological thinking seems to be the ‘culprit’ here?
Talk of ‘love’ and compassion is fine but it all goes out the window when ‘the horse kicks’?

It’s quite a statement, and as much as I’d like to believe it’s true, the truth is that I don’t know what love is, or if it is anything more than something to believe in.

Same for me. I love the thought of love being the ground. It gets my oxytocin flowing. But when I look honestly and soberly at how I live, my relationships with the world and its inhabitants, I don’t see more than flashes (if that) of the love being pointed at here. Perhaps I think too much, or not well enough?

2 Likes

Discussion can help us realize how much we presume to know and understand; how we know nothing but presumption. If love is what K said it is, one can’t find out without realizing how little (if anything) we know.