Facts have authority

You can’t deny facts.

1 Like

Is that a fact? :face_with_monocle:

The world is flat - that was a fact, then it wasn’t but some still think it is. I would say that the previous sentence is a fact.

People believed that the earth was flat . Later they found out the fact.

Not a big fan of ‘facts’ due to the absolutist vibe they have for me. But this is quite palatable:

Fact: Whatever is being experienced in this moment.

?

fact

(fækt)

n.

1. something that actually exists: Your fears have no basis in fact.

2. something known to exist or to have happened.

3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true.

4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened.

5. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence.

Idioms:

the half-life of facts

Half life of facts 3 minute video

Question : how do we know if something is in fact a fact?

The fact would be that I am experiencing what I am experiencing.

Facts can be verified but beliefs are opinions that can’t be verified .

1 Like

What do YOU mean when you say ‘fact’ in the context of this forum?

If I see a rainbow, the facts aisi are: colors and shapes, visual data, ‘pure’ sensory perception. If I cognize the rainbow, the facts are: recognition, naming, thought/feeling based association.

The fact is that there is no one context in this forum.

For example if I am obese that is the fact. What I want is to lose weight. So there is a constant battle going on between the fact and the idea.

What do you mean when you say ‘fact?’

The reason that some people in this forum claim that" krishnamurti is your guru or your authority ." Is another form of fallacy.
K’s words have authority because they refer to facts or truth.

I am this and I become that through time. Time is a none fact created by imagination.
It is a fact that we live in the cycle of pleasure and fear.

I reckon the @Examiner vs @nobody showdown could be an Extreme Debate at opposite ends of Knowing! :partying_face:
To make it more interesting the winner has to steelman the other’s position. :innocent:

You’re giving examples of what you see as facts. Could you generalize it: What makes a fact a fact? For example: There is no true Self, there is only the illusory egoic self. Is that a fact? Why?

Are we having a showdown? I thought we were just sharing views. :slight_smile: Is extreme debating a contact sport?

Steelman, I had to look it up, thanks for the new word, who knew there was a flip side to strawman?!! I think Examiner and I are both resisting being steelmanned. Yay team! :wink:

1 Like

The above is a good example of none- factual statements.

Not quite, anyone can deny anything.

The point is that having an opinion about a fact does not change the actuality of fact. Also important to see that no word or image or idea can be a fact, because they are not actual.