Exploring fear

Yea, I think so.
But the self is a movement, an activity in the mind, it is not a static thing or an entity/a ghost.
K calls it the center, but this center has to be seen in constant moment.
The self is constantly involved in any observation.

You ask if the fear is the a desire

I mean, the self is not self aware to protect it self, to have its own desires. I donā€™t really know what to respond, it is a good question.

@Ceklata - I need to post this here, cause I am not allowed to post 3 times in a rowā€¦
- I think we need to patent :grin: our thoughts, cause AI is giving us back our own responses, which makes sense. - I mean AI said what I said, and not the opposite

Disrupting emotional development or quashing self-esteem can cause mental (emotional/social) injury. It will still affect the neuro-chemicals (hormones and nerotransmitters) within the body. Some may disagree about self-esteem, considering Kā€™s teachings.

Does all mental injury involve the self? Psychological injury, by definition, involves the self. Can a self-free mind be injured?

Perhaps a person can be traumatized to the point of dissociation and end up with a ā€œself-free mindā€ that can no longer be injured. I just canā€™t imagine a self-free mind, actually. As long as there is a brain, there is a self and then fear that protects. Parts of the brain can be removed and self-centered behaviors, like aggression, can be reduced.

Kā€™s teachings helped me see my self-centeredness and my connection with others and the environment. I was most impressed when K told his audiences to find out for yourselves. So, Iā€™m not looking to annihilate the self. Last week, I heard for the first time, K said in 1984, that he could be wrong. I loved that!

Danger is that which harmful. Can cause death.

Thank you for introducing a concept that was new to me. I put your post into ChatGPT and it wrote several paragraphs, which I just emailed to you through Kinfonet.

1 Like

Yes, a thinking animalā€™s brain canā€™t be aware without being aware of itself (the body and its mental activity), but as we know, unless it is constantly reminding itself of who it believes itself to be, it doesnā€™t have a self to protect, defend, feel good or bad about, or sustain the illusion of.

Really valid point! Some say GPTā€™s training on millions of texts and images is theft of the highest order. They paid for part of the data, but got lots of it for free scraping public Internet sites. Maybe eventually everything we put out there will be assigned a monetary value? LLMs like GPT and Bard will have to pay billions of people ā€˜royaltiesā€™ for incorporating their texts/images/sounds into the training.

Are you looking to nurture the self, optimize its functionality for the benefit of the organism (you) and the world? Maximize the positive, minimize the negative? The self would be happier and more at peace if it werenā€™t driven by fear.

If you replace the word ā€œselfā€ with ā€œbodyā€, then yes. Iā€™m also interested in exploring the nature of being and living peacefully. I like parts of Kā€™s teachings and thatā€™s why Iā€™m here. Iā€™ve read so many of his biographies, I feel very informed about the man he was. I appreciate his lifeā€™s work and all those who preserved and continue to propagate his teachings. They can help make the world a better place, too. My work also involves helping others, which gives meaning to my life.

You arenā€™t looking to annihilate your self, and you arenā€™t looking to nurture it. What are you looking to do with your self?

Neither am I, because I is the self, and if I couldnā€™t remind myself constantly of who/what I is, there would be no I to speak of, identify with, or be haunted by. What a dreadful prospect!

If thought wasnā€™t acting in accordance with its imperative to be real, lovable, successful, respectable, honorable, and all the rest of it, there would be at least as much silence as there is practical, necessary thought, none of which would be incoherent. It would be the end of the constant conflict and confusion caused by psychological thought. Perish the thought!

These are social skills.

Yes, if one doesnā€™t act normal, one can be ostracized, ridiculed, discriminated against, threatened and even arrested. These social skills are manners, disguises necessary for survival and success in a society founded on ignorance, arrogance, misunderstanding, theories, self-aggrandisement, fanaticism, and desperation.

Where does love fit in with your world view?

Apart from the usual forms of love, do you know what K meant by his use of the word?

Somewhere K said that love is intelligence and compassion, both of which he said are beyond the brain. So, according to K, love is beyond the brain, and since I am confined and limited to the contents of consciousness of this brain, I donā€™t know what love is.

Iā€™m asking you, where love fits into your world view.

As I said above, since the love K spoke of is beyond the brain (along with intelligence and compassion), and I is confined and limited to the brainā€™s contents, I donā€™t know what love is.

When most of us speak of love, we speak of loving what we choose to love while feeling equally free and justified in hating what we choose to hate. For the conditioned brain, love is the opposite of hate. But for Krishnamurti, love, intelligence, and compassion have no opposites.

With present moment attention and gratitude, do you perceive something different?