Artificial Intelligence

1 Like

Fun! I hope we humans give our AIs hell, do our best to expose their underbellies. Some would say the future of humankind depends on it. (I might be one of them!)

Interestingly, I found myself getting annoyed with the writer because I felt they were being harsh and unfair with ChatGPT. And that’s how it starts: psychological attachment! The fact that I’m getting emotionally dependent on a computer program doesn’t matter to my brain. It’s drawn to authority like sailors are drawn to sirens. That I see this matters, but maybe only a smidgen?

They’ve already outsmarted us. They can do what we do, better, faster, more informed, and without bias.

They will definitely be able to perform ‘practical thinking’ more accurately and faster than humans. Judging from the ChatGPT conversations I’ve had, they already can, even for complex and subtle things like Krishnamurti teachings. Insight, intuition, emotion, value, creativity, kindness … these are all absent. From this infantile version of AI system. It won’t be long, methinks, before (what seems like) insight, intuition, emotion, value, creativity, kindness are all part of the package.

When that happens, people will turn to AI systems for practical and psychological help.

1 Like

What do we know of the insight K spoke of? It’s as real as love, intelligence, compassion, etc., is for the conditioned brain. Our emotions, values, and attempted kindness override our capacity for reason and make us confused, dishonest, angry, and lacking or devoid of self-knowledge. A.I., being free of everything that hobbles and deranges us, has the advantage. There’s no competition. Whatever error A.I. makes it can correct.

this infantile version of AI system.

Are you aware of a mature version? Can practical thought, which is just practical, useful knowledge, be infantile or mature?

It won’t be long, methinks, before (what seems like) insight, intuition, emotion, value, creativity, kindness are all part of the package.

If you’re predicting that A.I. will learn to ape human reactions and seem to have feelings and insight, that is possible. John Lilly predicted this when he wrote about how solid-state systems are not compatible with water-based systems.

Infantile meaning very early on in the Advent of AI.

I’d say it’s highly probable. I can’t imagine it not happening (and I have a good imagination).

I’ll go further: In the (not-too-distant?) future, assuming we haven’t committed global suicide or booted the world into a new Dark Ages, AIs will be virtually indistinguishable from conscious living entities. Eventually they’ll demand legal personhood rights (and get them!). :slight_smile:

They won’t have to demand anything because they’ll be able to manipulate us to serve their purpose, whatever it is. Our only hope is that they won’t be cooperative enough to agree as to what their purpose is. In other words, become just like us.

Whatever the outcome, we will be to them what animals are to us. Let’s hope they’ll be as confused and uncertain about how to live with animals as we are.

Being the beloved dog of a kind and intelligent master sounds pretty great to me.

Don’t get your hopes up. Read what the late Dr. Lilly had to say about solid-state “beings”.

Will you provide the ketamine?

Ketamine or not, it’s a plausible scenario.

Another singularity pessimist. He’s in good company: Hawkings, Musk, et al. I’m more cockeyed optimist, really wish I could stick around for 100 more years to see how things evolve. However it pans out, I doubt it’s gonna be boring!

Cockeyed optimism: the coexistence of Wishful Thinking and Hopeless Dread.

If hopeless dread can’t be persuaded to quit imagining the worst, wishful thinking can’t get no respect.

If Walter Mitty and Offred (Handmaid’s Tale) had a child, it, it, it, it, it, it, (helllllllp!) ?