Almost unbelievable

Wikipedia saith there have been 458 school shooting incidents in the USofA since 2000. Next on the list is Mexico, with about 20. It goes down sharply from there.

As a child, I was told in school that the founding fathers wanted to ensure that the citizens could defend against a tyrannical government when they created the Second Amendment’s right to bear arms more than 230 years ago. Now the price for that are all these mass shootings. Insanity (of the shooters, those who believe they can overthrow a government, and of some political leaders) seems rampant in this country and there’s no solution in sight.

1 Like

Don’t vote for people who want little or no restrictions on gun availability. They aren’t sensible and shouldn’t be In positions of power.

Same goes for those who want to restrict a woman’s right to do with her body as she chooses. Don’t vote them into power.

Do groups have ‘collective minds?’ Is there a USA-mind? Is it broken?

Not even the defeat of the Confederacy has broken it. Since then, the South declared that it would rise again, and sure enough, it has!

The joy and bane of our time, social media, has given us a Disunited Fragments of America: DFA.

And who gave us social media? The human brain-mind!

If brains are ever to get on the ‘same page’, they need to be able to communicate easily with each other… But now it’s: “you tell me your beliefs and I’ll tell you mine”?

1 Like

Even when we communicate perfectly, at best we’re revealing the psychological content that separates us.

“you tell me your beliefs and I’ll tell you mine”?

That would be a good start because we could explore each others beliefs together, at least. But the problem is that we’re barely aware of what we believe, what conclusions we’ve drawn unconsciously, because they’re too fundamental to question, much less expose even to ourselves.

If we begin to see how becoming sensitive to what is taking place inside and out is necessary…necessary if we are ever going to meet the present, meet life; not with the past unconscious accumulations of the ‘self’ but freshly, we can share our impressions, discoveries of those moments.

I’m dismissive of what others say they’ve discovered about themselves because they haven’t discovered their own investment in becoming.

On what authority? To what end?

We feel deeply, and those feelings press us to action - damn the consequences. (thats why we lock up our guns)

To what is this replying?

On what authority? To what end?

(and then I point out the similarity between ourselves in action here on kinfonet and the horrendous examples of humanity that Rick has brought to our attention) :

We feel deeply, and those feelings press us to action - damn the consequences. (thats why we lock up our guns)

You ask me on what authority and to what end I am dismissive of what others say they’ve discovered about themselves because they haven’t discovered their own investment in becoming, and my authority is that I see it in myself, and the end to which I say it, is that someone may benefit from reading it.