What is psychological conditioning?

Yes. The neurochemistry of the brain can be temporarily altered by the drug, allowing the brain :brain: to let go of its identification with a narrow field of (personal) memories - and then it has room to explore, to expand, to perceive anew.

But, of course, we can’t depend on drugs to get us out of our ego-habit - because drugs only work temporarily, and can themselves become a new source of addiction, etc.

We need a non-chemistry induced psychedelic to change the chemistry of the brain.

Meditation?
Insight?
Yoga?
More honesty?
Love?

1 Like

I’m talking about psychedelics providing experiences/states that are both self-free and pleasurable, positive, even blissful. If you equate discovering the truth about self with losing all your joys and pleasures, you will most likely be way less likely to make the discoveries.

I think this does happen sometimes when we experience something really beautiful or deeply touching. The end of the self is indirectly realised to not be actually a negative thing.

Yes. If the ending of the self just means something negative, like a dead emptiness - who needs that?

But if the ending of the self means real psychological freedom, joy, love, ecstasy - well that’s important to hear!

(though obviously if we think of it being a reward for ending then we are back in the calculations of self-interest, which won’t help the brain very much)

That’s how the tug-of-war works for me in any case. I want to know/live truth, I want to feel good. But I am unsure if these are compatible, afraid that ‘surrendering to the truth’ will leave my joys in the wind. That’s how I end up at the edge of the cliff speculating about the leap, but not leaping.

What do you think provokes this kind of alertness towards the movement of self?

Back to the precipice…

Maybe the mind has to be sharp enough to be aware of anger in the moment it arises. Some days we are sharper than others. Do some people have a somewhat constant high level of alertness to “the movement of self”? K certainly seemed to have this but it would appear to be extremely rare.

Please feel free to speculate : any ideas about how or why this sharp alertness to the arising of thought/emotion has come about?

The view is great!

It is relative to quietness of the brain? The brain is quiet and then there is your question. The question is heard and thought seeks to answer it. It draws on its past knowledge, memory, experience ie. its conditioning. It’s quite ‘mechanical’? Then there is an ‘awareness’ of this mechanical process taking place. Also an awareness of the ‘inadequacy’ of the answer arising because of the limited source it is being drawn from. Each brain given its experience, knowledge etc will answer according to that. But some will be aware of the process and there won’t be the identification with the answer as there will be without the awareness. Why would one brain be aware and another not? Because, some will have come to understand the importance of realizing that the conditioned reactions from this very limited part of the brain create a false reality of ‘division’ and the possibility of great conflict and suffering? Its partiality unseen is dangerous.

1 Like

Good answer, Dan.

Does the love of, passion for, felt necessity of seeing the truth figure in? If love for truth trumps love for pleasure, you will probably pay more attention. ?

1 Like

Instead of living with the thrill of not falling to your death, why not acknowledge the unexploded bomb you are, quit diffusing yourself, and explode?

The key I think is in the word ‘thrill.’

You prefer the thrill of not falling to your death to the thrill of exploding?

I prefer the thrill of teetering on the brink. You?

Teetering on the brink is exhausting.
I prefer conserving energy.

Roger that. It’s also exciting: It creates and consumes energy. Sisyphus!

I think the question is whether it is something that is learnable or not. Can we learn to be alert and aware of the movement of thought? I suppose that K must have thought that it was something which one could learn, otherwise he wouldn’t have dedicated his life to speaking about it.

This isn’t an answer, but just a couple of sentences by K to put this question into perspective.

It is like looking at that sunset with your mind, with your heart, with your eyes, with your nerves… [In the same way] to… give your complete attention at the moment anything happens, at the moment you feel envious, angry, jealous or full of hate, or feel dishonest in yourself.

(The Awakening of Intelligence)

So at the very moment of experiencing anger, irritation, jealousy, sadness, desire, etc, to be awake to the fact (without condemnation, judgement, etc); to be able to look, see (what is going on).

To have this sharpness of mind, of alert awareness/attention to what is taking place in the present moment, implies both biological sensitivity and a certain psychological space of freedom to even notice these movements of the psyche.

Meditation is heightened awareness.

(Talk 9, Ojai, 1945)

1 Like