What is Death?

macdougdoug you will experience exactly how you remember the false memory. you become yourself at a particular point of time in the past. you become that person which is yourself. so if you had some false images you will again visualize the same false images.

Anonimity , by resting in heaven i meant that everything you do in heaven is not by force or compulsion but is based on your interest in it. On earth you HAVE TO work sometimes not even what your interest is and for 9 hours a day just to make ends meet and survive. There is no such necessity in heaven. In heaven you will be a very busy person. If you want to meditate you can meditate, if you want to learn how to play an instrument, there will be many master musicians who will be glad to share their skills, if you want to know the history of the universe, you can be shown that, if you want to learn about your past lives, you can learn that. If you want to study what the Buddha currently teaches (not what he taught on earth) you can do that as well. If you want to meet Krishnamurti and ask him about his mistakes in teaching he will gladly tell you where he was mistaken or you can just chat with him. So in heaven you will be a very busy man (if you want to) but there is no compulsion, no force. It is your choice what you want to do, unlike on the earth where you are pressed for time and for the sake of the stomach (not just your own, but that of your family). IN heaven you will be able to materialize anything you want: the choicest food, the best dresses, any books from the earth etc etc etc. IN this sense (of expanded possibilities) heaven is much better than the earth. By rest I did not mean lying down in bed., I meant that everything you do will be recreational not WORK.

Why are you talking about the afterlife at all? The question is, ā€˜What is death?ā€™ It is not, ā€˜What do I imagine death to be?ā€™ or ā€˜What does Krishnamurti say about death?ā€™ These are then very trivial questions made in order to avoid the unavoidable. What is death? Letā€™s instead find out the actuality of this thing which is an unavoidable fact for us all. Meeting it now, the fact or the actuality of death, means that the rest of our lives are entirely different; and heaven is not then something dreamed up by either the lazy or the busy mind.

1 Like

Got it already, thank you.

If there is, say, a ā€˜knotā€™ and it is untied, has the knot ā€˜diedā€™?

@anon78228991 ,

Fact is that people dies, most of us have witnessed someoneĀ“s death and have got puzzled by it because it doesnĀ“t make any sense to us, this is another fact so, why not simply to stay with the facts acknowledging that we donĀ“t know? We write what we write because thatĀ“s what is in our mind, the content of consciousness, either a heaven where weĀ“ll satisfy our selfish desires ad nauseam or our lives being entirely different by meeting the actuality of death.

People said that JKĀ“s change was due to his brotherĀ“s death, however, he pointed out that it wasnĀ“t his brotherĀ“s death what brought about the transformation but facing death. Death is an event, something that happens, isnĀ“t it? Some people like JK report that it can happen while still alive and that it brings about a total transformation. Fine. Good for them. Can we listen to it without desiring the same thing for us?

Yes, that is exactly the question I am putting. Is it an event that is happening right now? That is the only way this makes any sense. To delay finding out is ridiculous. This is not about desiring a state of mind that someone else has already described. Can we look at this thing called death without all of the baggage which we usually bring to such questions? Dropping that baggage is in itself a kind of death - and I am not sure there is any other kind. With all of that gone we are then totally alone. When one is totally alone, what does death even mean?

For something to die, it must be alive.

So the body can ā€˜dieā€™ but the self canā€™t because it is not alive? The self is like an eddy at the edge of the moving river. Its beginning and ending are arbitrary since it was never more than a temporary ā€˜stagnationā€™?

Or a mechanism that escapes examination because it is persistent and foreboding. We dare not look or listen too closely to our machinery lest we see how itā€™s malfunctioning.

Whatever comes into the field of my awareness stays for a while then disappears.
The simplest example to watch this is thought ephemeral existence.
I am aware when thought is present but I have no access to itā€™s process or moments of birth or death.
So, death and birth are hidden to me, in the field of the mind.

However, in nature, the process of dying is everywhere, visible or not.
In the flower that is about to bloom,
death is already present and hidden in the bloom.

For us, death is the end of a mechanism that cannot ā€œdieā€ until it sees that it is not alive. The self is a mechanical process, but the physical being that is practicing self, is alive.

If I canā€™t stop being a self, I am not only mechanical, but not in control. if I canā€™t stop the me-mechanism from being the runaway train that it is, I can only ride it out; I can only be the runaway train that I am. Perhaps the train will (metaphorically) die, along with all questions about death. Perhaps I wonā€™t know what death is until this train is dead in its tracks.

To be frank, no, I donĀ“t think we can look at this thing called death for the simple reason that we donĀ“t know what it is, we havenĀ“t experienced awareness being completely uprooted from the body, not depending at all on it to be, and come back to tell it as it happened to most of these people, including JK. When I say that death is an event, something that happens, I mean it literally. It is afterwards that they start to talk to others and to point out how they think that they reached that point which becomes their ā€œteachingsā€, and I say ā€œhow they think ā€¦ā€ because it uses to coincide with what they had been doing when it happened, either observing, enquiring, living a righteous life or whatever, which doesnā€™t mean that to be what drove them to reach that point. I couldnĀ“t say which one is the actual reason why this happen to some people, to me it is a mystery.

1 Like

Huh?..

these are probably the only ā€œdeathsā€ I remember I have experienced; as child, I did argue with both for a whileā€¦

storks do not deliver babies
santa isnā€™t real

I am still searching in my memory other irrevocable ā€œdeathsā€ā€¦

But surely it is very easy to look at it, not knowing what it is. For it is only our knowledge that gets in the way of our looking. And most of our knowledge about such things is already second-hand anyway. Why have we even concocted such a word as ā€˜deathā€™ while we are so ignorant of the full significance of life? All of this needs to be considered very carefully.

To me, facing the fact of death is facing the very event as it happens. To look at it, the idea, the concept, not knowing what it is, it is facing the unknown which leads to what you said in a previous comment:

This is as far as we can go on our own and thatĀ“s good enough for me.

Yes, otherwise, it could be us who end with a dissociative disorder :upside_down_face:
You know, one of the things I like from JK is that, in spite of all, he was very much down to earth.

Edit:

Exactly. And life is what is happening right now and can be faced as a fact.

What? JK said that he never resisted anything he came across, including death, and thatĀ“s what he taught, to stay with everything we come across without running away from it but looking at it and observing the whole process.

Ramana M. discarded everything till he reached pure awareness, then something else took over, and thatĀ“s what he taught. It is recorded that after explaining to someone how to enquire, i.e., IĀ“m not the body, IĀ“m not the thoughts, feelings, etc., then who am I?, he said that thatĀ“s how he did it.

Same with others no so well-known sages. ItĀ“s just an observation. As for not being sure about whether this was what drove them to the ultimate or not, well, is truth a pathless land or it isnĀ“t? I agree with JK that it is. As I said, to me it is a mystery.

1 Like

Yes not the body nor am I the thoughts that Iā€™m not the body or thoughts or feelings etc.

No, for me, this is just the beginning because we also said that when we love one another then the whole problem of death is resolved. This is the way into it that makes the most sense. What does it mean to love one another if not the death of everything that has come before?