The Path

Being open is neither hope nor despair.

Hope and despair are the opposite extremes of a spectrum in which openness is the middle; equanimity.

Constantly living in what isā€¦ i.e.: in constant insecurity (which is security)

Is to be open not to let things into your consciousness, whatever it might be and not surpress it
Not to be open to so-called new ideas but to your own thoughts, where they come from, see how they disappear, how they take control over you, etcā€¦
Is there a purpose to all this? At least, there seems to be no choice.

No - thatā€™s closing.
To be open is to be more vulnerable than vigilant.

Not to be open to so-called new ideas but to your own thoughts, where they come from, see how they disappear, how they take control over you, etcā€¦

To be open is be aware of how closed and cosseted one is.

@Jobuys I think @inquiry read your post too hastily. To my mind, you are simply bringing attention to how little interest there is in remaining with the content of consciousness as it is, totally, completely staying with it as it ebbs and flows.

Our minds are in a perpetual state of conflict. Brought about by evaluating the what is and projecting the what should be. The status quo is to run. To constantly recreate the same scenario with a slightly different twist. To be open is to realize at a fundamentally deep level that there can be no breaking free from conditioning. Presumably though, there can be freedom from the endeavour to do so. That it seems to me is the highest order of intelligence.

ā€œBreaking freeā€ may not be what happens when the brain awakens to its conditioning. It may be more like finding itself outside, unlimited, before it knows why or what happened. If it attributes its endeavor to its freedom, it isnā€™t free.

Presumably though, there can be freedom from the endeavour to do so. That it seems to me is the highest order of intelligence.

Itā€™s an interesting idea, but I wonder if itā€™s not the endeavor to break free that is the problem, but that, having never known freedom, the brain can only imagine it and chase its tale.