The other man

Even without fully understanding what the self IS, it is plainly the fact that the source of any conflict IS the “me”. This in itself makes it important to understand and not to dismiss the cause of any psychological disturbance as being self-evident, or as being due to someone else or something else, it seems to me.

Therefore, when one is disturbed in some way by another or by an external event or circumstance, does one look to “the other” or to outside of “me” for the cause? If one looks outwardly, can one understand self, suffering, consciousness, time, action, relationship, and so on, as an abstraction?

Like most of us, I was not educated to question the very existence and nature of the “me” which dictates behaviour and action in relationship. (In this instance, I am using “I” functionally so as not to twist myself into a psychological pretzel to avoid it. It does not refer to the psyche. Perhaps humanity will eventually come up with a new word for the functional “I”).

I could be wrong about all this.

We are conditioned, educated, to approach the challenges which “life throws at us” with our ancient consciousness, which has been passed down to us from generation to generation. One can enquire into all these things alone or with others. Consciousness and self are so ingrained in us and complex, and understanding is so arduous that it is wonderful to have a meeting of hearts and minds with others who are looking into it. Perhaps we can give each other a hand up the mountain, perhaps not. Existential pain can’t be ended by explanations or authority. K suggested that the flame of discontent must be faced and allowed to burn brightly, not be ignored. That sounds true. Discontent cannot be extinguished through willful action. To argue and to try to prevail is to avoid discontent, as I see it.

To me, it is necessary to avoid conversations in which there is the resistance of sterile conclusions. Still, one might experiment in taking part in such conversations, to find out whether there can be a deepening of understanding in that direction. But to continue sterile conversations once one realizes their futility is a waste of energy and an avoidance of the very discontent which moved one to enquire in the first place.

If one is ignorant, blind, confused, lost, there is no shame in it. That is where we are and we can only start observing ourselves as we really are. Discontent always leads back to the necessity for understanding ME. Again, I may be wrong about all this. Nonetheless, right or wrong, the questioning arises spontaneously; it cannot be resisted or repressed. It is unstoppable, as I am experiencing it.

Frognerseteren, Norway 1st Public Talk 6th September, 1933 | J. Krishnamurti

“Understanding is like the light that dispels darkness. But if you do not understand, if you apply what I am saying only to the other man, the man outside, then you are but increasing darkness.”

Note: my computer is kaput. I have to go to the library to use one there, so it may be quite some time before I can participate…

4 Likes

Huguette

I can’t get on the forum using my computer for an unknown reason so have to use a very old iPhone to post. But after a few lines I can’t see what I’m writing, again for an unknown reason. So have to keep it short…glad that you don’t.

If existential pain has not ended and I know what can or cannot end it, why doesn’t this knowledge act and end it?

K suggested that the flame of discontent must be faced and allowed to burn brightly, not be ignored. That sounds true. Discontent cannot be extinguished through willful action. To argue and to try to prevail is to avoid discontent, as I see it.

Willful action has its place, but we can’t tell what its place is because we are psychological thought, a kind of thinking that serves no purpose other than to perpetuate the illusion of the thinker, I, me, mine.

to continue sterile conversations once one realizes their futility is a waste of energy and an avoidance of the very discontent which moved one to enquire in the first place.

Of course! Why would anyone want to continue a futile exercise and waste of energy?

After all these years of reading K we still apply the teachings to the other man therefore increasing darkness.

What ends suffering?

How do blind, confused idiots observe themselves as they really are? (Real question)
Its very annoying when the miniguru asks “who’s watching”? So we ignore the pesky miniguru.
I think there is no How, simply because its not even worth trying. Saying that I can observe myself, is to give me way to much credit.

PS. meditation is essential

1 Like

By intentionally following every thought. Understand that this will interrupt, disturb a process that goes on without awareness. ‘Following’ every thought brings awareness into this system. The content of the thought is not important ie “who’s following the thought”, the following is.

Can you clarify what you mean by Intent? It could mean :“I want to follow my thoughts” - which is weird (unless you’ve been listening to mindfulness gurus) - how does this Intent arise?

What do you mean “interrupt a process”? Are you saying we are changing a habit? ie of not following our thoughts - or do you mean that the thought stops, goes nowhere, cannot be followed?

PS - @DanMcD I did notice you talked about the fact that thought does not stop when you follow it - maybe Huguette won’t mind if we discuss it here.

K suggestion : “Follow every thought”.

Yes - very good, this is how we fall into this crazy business :grinning:

“Crazy” schmazy, just follow the thoughts and report back…while you’re following your thoughts of course!

No. Following thought intentionally adds an intrusive element into the process. It functions quite smoothly without the attempt to watch it. Following brings attention to its movement. Makes it aware of itself?

You speak with confidence that you’re on the right track, so to speak, but do we really know anything more than that thought is limited, incoherent, and incessant?