The Core of the Teachings :: Images

The brain doesn’t really know what it’s doing because it’s too identified with its contents to attend to it’s movements.

The brain is eminently trainable, it can learn to attend to its movements. You can intend to attend.

Training is conditioning, and the brain’s training is the problem - not the solution.

You can intend to attend.

Yes, but it may be that it’s the choiceless attention that matters most.

From the Gemini AI (i.e. it’s not a ‘crazy Rick idea’):

“While this may seem paradoxical, certain forms of conditioning can help individuals strip away existing conditioning.”

It’s the good old thorn used to remove a thorn metaphor.* You use conditioning (train brain to observe its movements) to help remove its existing conditioning (aversion to attending to its movements). When the brain’s aversion to attending to itself is ‘fixed,’ you drop the training.

Note that I’m not advocating for this approach, just saying it seems to work for certain people.

* You get a thorn in your finger, use another thorn to remove it, then throw both thorns away.

When you realize you’re insufficiently aware of your thoughts, feelings, and reactions, you practice being mindful, habitually self-aware. I don’t know if this leads to the end of conditioning or just strengthens it, and I doubt that you do, either.

It seems to me you’re just evading the question, which is: If the problem is the brain’s psychological content, the solution is its dissolution, and if the dissolution is not a matter of time, what prevents it from happening now?

If the problem is the brain’s psychological content, the solution is its dissolution, and if the dissolution is not a matter of time, what prevents it from happening now?

I think the ending of psychological content does happen now. When else could it happen but in the present moment? But that’s subjective time. From the pov of objective time, clock time, the ending may happen now, a year from now, 20 years from now, or possibly never. Whenever it happens in objective time, subjectively it will be happening now.

I have the feeling we’re talking past each other a bit. You’re making perfect sense in Inquiry-world, I’m making perfect sense in Rick-world. It’s not surprising considering the complexity of what we’re talking about! But it’s frustrating, right?

There is no path nor destination.
There is no one here.
But what is going on,
Seeing, seeing my thumbs hitting these letters on my :selfie: :iphone: phone.
In Ojai after the May Gathering…

This is all there is, time unfolding at my feet
Rolling out as I walk like a red Carpet…
I am poorly dressed