Perception and hallucination: Krishnamurti among the neuroscientists

Again, it isn’t clear to me what you are saying Douglas. You quoted two sentences of mine, but didn’t really say much about them, or even if you agreed with them or not.

I am seeking some clarity in where we may be misunderstanding each other, that’s all.

Language, we might say, is a symbol system in which a single word stands in for something it’s supposed to communicate. We could call any word or series of words a ‘model’ of reality if you like.

So what is being asked here is whether

1. we can each be clear about the words we are using, and
  2. what is the relationship between a word/sentence/model and the actual fact, the reality or world-issue to which the word points?

Obviously the word is not the thing. We can agree to this. But can we explore this question a little bit: what is the relationship between a word/sentence/model and the actual fact, the reality or world-issue to which the word points?

I’m gonna psychoanalyse us a bit here (sorry - and most probably wrongly) but I reckon we might also be responding to the memory of past conflict and emotion - we want closure for our recent debates.
Can I suggest we just try and do our best going forward? I’ll try my best to be as honest and clear as possible - but of course we cannot be sure that we will obtain satisfaction (crazy humans that we are).

Sorry… mind gone blank… maybe if I can sit with this question a bit?

I don’t think that’s what James had in mind when he used this metaphor. If I’m not mistaken, grasping (not interpreting) what Krishnamurti was saying, is “getting” it intellectually, but not actually, which is when the rubber (the teaching) meets the road (brain transformation).

We are “confronting models/images” mostly when others use them, but when we use our models and images, are we aware of it at all? If we are, we can’t take ourselves seriously enough to be defensive or assertive, and we are sensible enough to know we know little, if anything.

Please don’t. This takes us off track. We are trying to understand what we mean by ‘models’, and we seem to have reached a point where we are saying that ‘models’ really mean words or symbols that stand in for the thing they are supposed to be words or symbols about.

So we are now asking,

On the one hand the word or symbol is not the thing. I presume we can agree on that? It is a very basic thing, but it is important not to go off track right from the get-go. So I am assuming we agree that the word ‘door’ is not the actual door :door: in front of me.

We have agreed - as members of society I mean, as speakers of the English language - that the word ‘door’ means that thing through which I can go into another room, etc. So when we use the word ‘door’ in a communication we can be in agreement about its meaning. Alright so far?

In practical matters language doesn’t present too many problems, so long as we are using words in the same is way, and use our common sense. But when we are communicating about something that is not so straightforward, such as perception, or even perception without mental images, we need to slow down and be clear about what we mean by these words.

Do you see what I’m saying?

Doors :door: and chairs :chair: are very easy to point to through words. Either the communication is right or wrong: the door :door: leads to the bathroom or it doesn’t. The chair :chair: is by the table or it isn’t.

But when we use a word like perception or awareness or mental image, it may not be so clear what we are talking about. And it seems that it is here we get confused.

Would you agree with this?

1 Like

Yes when we are actually acting in the world, are we free of the roles we are playing, or not - or are we completely taken up by our roles?
Can we have a discussion about our ideas, whilst at the same time being clear as to what is playing out?

James may be saying in this thread (as an aside to me) that considering the melodrama whilst considering the arguments is a barrier to clarity.

Agreed - we share a common vocabulary.
But when discussing trickier concepts, communication can get fuzzy.

Good. :+1:

So, by “trickier concepts” (or words, let’s stick to the word ‘word’ rather than concepts) do you mean a word like ‘perception’?

If so, what would be an easier, more comprehensive word?

Could we use the word ‘seeing’, ‘looking’ - as in ‘Look at the flower’ :tulip:, ‘Look at the tree’ :deciduous_tree: , ‘See the cloud’ :partly_sunny: - ?

Can we agree about using such a word?

You want us to use the word “see” or “look” instead of the word “perceive”?

I’m willing to go along with this - though I’m wondering what your plan is, if any - and do we just ignore for now that these words can have different meanings (eg. “see” can mean perceive the image with eyes or understand)?

If we take the examples I gave already above:

Take this meaning of the word ‘see’. Are you ok with using the word ‘see’ (or ‘look’) in this way?

1 Like

It depends. Did I choose this role or was it thrust upon me by circumstances?

If I choose to play a role, am I doing it for self-esteem or for the sake of something that must be done?

James may be saying in this thread (as an aside to me) that considering the melodrama whilst considering the arguments is a barrier to clarity

I don’t know what you’re saying here.

Okay - yes.
We’re going to use the words see & look to mean “perceive visual images via the eyes”

1 Like

Good. :+1:

Now, can we us the word ‘image’ - by which I mean ‘mental image’, something we have ‘imagined’ with our thinking (by which I mean our psychological thinking, as opposed to the brain’s perceptual cognition - a distinction we have explained above)?

Oh damn and blast! :speak_no_evil: let me read that again.

This is the difference between seeing with our eyes an actual tree :deciduous_tree:

and having in our memory the image of a tree we have seen before

Is a visual image the thing itself or is it a mental image of the thing itself?

“Mental image” means psychological concept only?
Mental image does not mean useful concept?
I’m already having trouble. Help!

Isn’t psychological imagery more to do with subjective values of good and bad, to do with my self image and stuff like that?

eg. I can look at a rock and see a chair. Here I’m using practical mental imagery.

Isn’t “useful concept” the problem? Perception is either direct or distorted by useful concepts employed by the psychologically conditioned brain to maintain its illusions.

This is good Douglas - we are making progress.

We have agreed on the word seeing to mean see or look with the eye :eye:, as when we look at a tree :deciduous_tree: or a flower :tulip:.

We can put a pin in that to come back to it later.

Now we are exploring a perhaps “trickier” word: ‘image’.

Image can mean many things. Sometimes it helps (though not always) to look at etymologies.

The word ‘image’ comes from a root meaning ‘to copy’, ‘to imitate’.

So an image of a rose :wilted_flower: is a copy of a rose - either through a painting, a photograph, or some other visual representation of the flower we call a rose :wilted_flower:.

This bit is easy though - I can understand the difference - one is pure memory, the other is perception of visual image through the eyes.