On Death and Dying

The person is a psychological phenomenon of consciousness like the rainbow is a meteorological phenomenon in the sky. The ending of the rainbow leaves an empty sky.

What is the nature of the consciousness that is free of the imposing domination of the person? I guess it could be a whole lot better than a life without a dominating wife (or husband).

I think it will lead to freedom from the horrible fate of being a mortal caught in strife.

Haha…good luck with that idea. Sorry …I shouldnt laugh, but it’s been tried throughout the ages…contemplating and reflecting and has it freed anyone? Just wondering though I think I know the answer.

2 Likes

Are you saying that we may come to some conclusion that will free us from suffering?
Is it safe to say that all the thinking on the subject so far has not arrived at this wonderful conclusion (or is someone keeping this conclusion secret?) ?
Just a bit more effort is needed maybe?

2 Likes

And time… Oops 20 character minimum again

1 Like

For most of us, our heart’s desires seem to lie behind the bolted door. But what if the life Krishnamurti found so familiar is our dream come true? Perhaps, for all of us, there is a hidden pathway into a wondrous land, another dimension not only of sight and sound but also of the imagination, a state whose boundaries lie beyond that of the body and its mind.

Effort at doing what? Affirming what we know? We understand the nature of reality. The Earth rotates. Full stop. Nothing in our inquiry must be accepted for consideration unless it is blessed by settled science. So, why are we delving into the teaching of an uneducated man from India? Has Krishnamurti changed anything? Is the world doing better because of him? Has he done any better than Hinduism?

If it’s you’re dream then it is a projection of your thought, something you will recognize when you see it. Not something beyond thought, new and infinite. You do realize that you’re off in a dream world that your thought has invented. You and inquiry have a very similar view of life. All based on thought it seems. Do you contemplate eventually getting interested in what K pointed out instead of your own “make believe”?

By the way. Did you use to use the name “One Self” on the previous forum?

Can we get back on topic here? this is from today’s QOTD:
“Most of us are so weighed down by the known, by the yesterday, by the memories, by the ‘me’, the ‘self’, which is but a bundle of memories accumulated yesterday, having no actual existence in itself. Die to those memories; actually die to a pleasure without any argument. If you know what it means to die to a pleasure, to something that you have taken great pleasure in - without argument, without postponement, without any sense of resentment, bitterness - that is what is going to happen when you do die. And to die every day, to everything that you have gathered psychologically, is to be totally reborn.” Talks in Europe 1967 | 3rd Public Talk Paris

This is moving with the ‘absolute perfection ‘ of each moment…no judgement, no rejection, no comparison, no condemnation of any part of ‘what is’.
It is ‘the flight of the eagle :eagle: leaving no trace’, isn’t it?

Yes…that’s how I understand it as well, Dan. Living it from moment to moment is another story.

Are you saying you have to ‘do’ something differently?

Good question. I’d say that when I’m caught up in time I’m not living the ‘perfection’ that you spoke of…that’s all. Violence isn’t perfection, is it? War? Fear…depression? K talked about the ‘urgency of change’, didn’t he?

The ‘absolute perfection’ is there no matter how one is “caught up”…realizing that brings about this dying we’re looking at. Seeing that there Is no reason to hold onto anything or to say it differently, no reason to continue bringing the past into the present.

So the perfection is there in the middle of violence…of war? There’s no urgency of change? Nothing to do to end violence in oneself…nothing to inquire into…no change necessary at all? Is that what you’re saying? If I’m living in a country with a brutal dictatorship and they come to take my son or daughter to prison under a false charge, is that perfection too? Or are you saying that there’s nothing ‘I’ can do? That change can’t come about through ‘me’ making effort to change? Why did K speak of ‘the urgency of change’?

I can’t say why but there is an “urgency” to see this ‘absolute perfection’ in the moment or as I recall him saying it, the “sacred” what is. The “change” is that seeing, that realization…without it the ‘self’ stands apart from the living moment as a ‘cheerleader’ or a critic.

OK. Will look further into this later. I’m really not clear enough about what you’re saying to comment further now.

Well I’m probably not putting it very well. Maybe someone else sees this and can put it better.

Is it absolute perfection? Or is that another label ‘I’ put on ‘what is’, be it the beauty of a flower or the ugliness of war?

Yes a name for the nameless? Our problem it seems began as the newborn brain sorted out the ‘whizzing, banging ‘ world in order to navigate successfully through it. Our ‘reflexive brain set us apart from our neighbors and we tried to solve the mystery of our being here. We got ‘dominion’ over the animals and the environment. Compared to the others we were godlike. We created the concept of ‘significance’ and bestowed it upon ourselves. Without a telescope we saw ourselves as the center with everything revolving around us. Religious ideas created to explain our presence, Gods overseeing it all, prayers to petition them, myths, rituals etc, etc

And the savagery…but not of the animal, a new merciless version created by Humankind.

Why didn’t our “collosal “ vision of our significance wane when, through actually seeing our spectacular insignificance on a planet circling a small star far from the center of one galaxy among billions…? Wasn’t the ‘wrong turn’ adopting that idea of importance, significance in the first place? We’re no more or less than anything else in the universe and we have paid and have made others pay the price for our believing otherwise.

Are you sure the brain is separate from the world ‘out there’? Or is it our capacity for reflective thinking that makes it appear that we’re separate? That anything is separate?

But it’s our reflective…thinking… brain that created the feeling that something needs to be solved in the first place. That there is something amiss. Or am I mistaken?