Observing the Observer

Thought can create the circumstances for knowing in all kinds of ways. The alertness to thought is not knowing.

Insight seems spontaneous on the surface, but it’s the culmination of a lot of unconscious awakening.

1 Like

It’s not an either/or issue. The illusion of my self is until it is seen for what it is, and I can’t see it because I am it.

1 Like

So says the self.

As I’ve said, I don’t honesty know what choiceless awareness, love, observation, or meditation is, and I can’t know what they are until it is obvious.

I can form plausible, reasonable ideas of what K was talking about and submit them for peer review, but this exercise only strengthens my illusory self. Better to practice not thinking, which is what meditation seems to be.

1 Like

Hello Dominic - In order to determine if the ‘self is’, doesn’t this require ‘seeing’ what this ‘word’ self is actually pointing to? In observing ourselves in relationship, this word ‘self’ seems to point to the idea of a ‘me’ or ‘I’, along with a vast collection of beliefs that thought defines as “my belief,” versus “your belief,” which is one of the beliefs in this vast collection of registered interpretations of “what happened to me” over time. Looking for a self, all we seem to find is a collection of abstract thoughts, beliefs and opinions. So, the ‘self’ that ‘is’, is just a collection of psychological thoughts. This thought-programming creates the illusion of a “chooser” or “observer” inside the head, but those are just ideas in thought. And a ‘collection’ of psychological thoughts doesn’t “see” anything, it’s just patterns of thought.
Where are you ‘seeing’ thought creating a “safe room?” To my observation, the content of consciousness isn’t trying to create a “safe room,” it simply has whatever limited knowledge and beliefs it has collected so far. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s strongest power might be its existence as a feeling, the sense of self. I really feel like an entity, an agent with a choice

Well yes, self is, and I can’t end it, as I am self. So any actual end to self could only be by something that is not self, which is other than self, or outside self, but that is in effect divine intervention.

It may seem divine, but it’s just what the brain does when it sees its mistake.

But there is no seeing its mistake. That is just a deus ex machina.

Yes, it is image, it is ideation, it is identification, it is accumulation, the power behind accumulation. When ‘seen’ as other it is a force, and a persistent one at that, and when looked at in ‘myself’ it appears elusive and inconsequential, yet it does not end. It is impersonal in nature, yet capable of being taken personally, but it extends beyond anything I may identify as ‘myself’ which would never have the persistence it has otherwise.

Hello Kimo ( wonder if I can address you by your first name )

All your posts in this thread - the subject of which happens to be no less easier but by far the toughest task of K teaching are of extraordinary nature and of incisive quality.

The posts have such rare essence of accuracy I might have given maximum likes to them while I was going through them :slight_smile:

’ Meditation ’ per say ( there is no way of knowing what and how exactly k meant by the words and phrases he used ) as per ones experience is like a subtle breeze which comes and
takes over when one is too tired of sorting out issues in ones practical world … giving the mind enough space for refreshing … and it does have a property of its own …

Speaking for ourselves, there is no seeing. But if we didn’t think Krishnamurti and others could see, we wouldn’t be talking about seeing.

Feel free to address me as Kimo. Thank you for your kind words.

On July 19, macdougdoug posted a a four minute video of K talking about meditation, and it seems to make it clear what meditation was to him.

Yes, when the limited nature of this thought constructed self is directly seen, it is clear that it has little or no significance. But giving the wrong significance to this thought-structure ‘does end’, in seeing the false as false. The mind is no longer concerned with, “How am ‘I’ doing?” As it’s clear that this ‘I’ or ego-structure is just a collection of thought-imagery, “nothing to be concerned about.” Where do you ‘see’ this collection of abstract ideas about “me” - “extending somewhere?”

**Yes, if the concept didn’t “feel” that way, we wouldn’t pay any attention to it. But given that we’re never encouraged by the culture we grow up in to ‘be aware of what thought is doing’, we aren’t aware that it’s thought that’s creating the feeling in the body. We think, erroneously, that the “sense of self” is “just there,” “without thought.” But if the thought wasn’t there, the feeling wouldn’t be there. We’re just not aware or conscious of the thought that’s producing the feeling. And it’s this thought of ‘me and other’ that’s at the root of human conflict. If we don’t wake up to this as humanity, we’re going to continue to make ourselves miserable.

1 Like

Yes. Much of what we think is unconscious, and unless or until this content arises to the surface, we never know how our thinking is responsible for our feelings about who/what we are.

I don’t know if this fits in here but I have a question about something that has come up for me…it’s about dreams. I had a dream recently that had these terrifying moments where I as the ‘dreamer’ felt quite threatened. After I awoke and thought about it, I wondered a bit about it. but the bottom line was that the threatening images and the ‘me’ who was threatened by those images were the same thing though then, not seen as such There were the sometimes terrifying images threatening ‘me’ and then my attempted fleeing, trying in every way to avoid what I feared might happen. When I awoke, what struck me as strange was that the images were created by ‘my’ brain and the ‘me’ who was running in panic from them was also created by the brain. Which seems rather ‘stupid’. But the feeling of ‘vulnerability’ in the dream state is intense. In the waking state one is surrounded by ‘others’, one’s attachments, but in the dream state, one is desperately alone… Is this all about an arising of the early childhood fears?

Anyone have any experience of this?

The consensus seems to be that there is always some sort of dreaming that takes place during sleep. The brain is apparently dealing with the clutter that arose during the day.
Some would claim that a brain that is attentive during the day, has less of a backlog to attend to at bedtime - and thus would get more rest.
The idea that all the characters in one’s dream are aspects of ourself, is also an idea that I have seen bandied about - but this is probably more woo based than scientific.

A rational fear was represented as a conflict? An imagined conflict induces fear?

I don’t understand your questions.Maybe you would elaborate?

What struck me about the dream state on awakening was the ‘realization’ that the ‘bogeyman’ that was coming after ‘me’ had to be a creation of the brain, right? And the brain was also creating ‘me’ who was terrified by this threatening ‘person’ who was menacing ‘me’. Probably the body’s metabolism changed, breath, heartbeat, eye movement etc…It struck me as odd that the brain would be doing this. If you see what I’m trying to say. Isn’t this the same ‘duality’ that exists now in the waking consciousness :’ me’ here and ‘you’, other, there?..But in the dream state the division is much more exaggerated. There the ‘me’ or ‘I’ is completely alone, and at the mercy of whatever ‘events’ come up, no control over things, just raw fear and attempts at avoidance of what ‘might’ occur, no matter how bizarre or outlandish the scenario is.

I realized today on a walk that I grew up as a child with a lot of fear about how things would go for me. Now things go quite well and that is why this type of dream though not new, caught me by surprise. So this potential ‘fear’ that can arise in sleep is part of my consciousness. Part of the unconscious contents which ,in agreement with K, ultimately must be ‘emptied’ if there is to be real freedom.