Musings

Interbeing = the co-dependent origin of phenomena. If we look at the self and its vexations through the prism of inter-being: we see that we are born from thought, desire, knowledge, eyes, skin, cells, oxygen, stars that have been dead for millennia etc etc without end.

Here’s Thich Naht Hanh’s little speech on the subject - which I translated into French (for my zazen club), then back into English for you - bravo to DeepL

If you are a poet, you will see clearly that there is a cloud floating in this sheet of paper. Without the cloud, there will be no rain; without the rain, trees cannot grow: and without trees, we cannot make paper. The cloud is essential to the existence of paper. If the cloud is not there, the paper cannot be there either. So we can say that the cloud and the paper are inter-beings.

“Inter-being” is a word that is not yet in the dictionary, but if we combine the prefix “inter” with the verb “to be”, we have a new verb, inter-being. Without the cloud we cannot have paper, so we can say that the cloud and the sheet of paper are interdependent.

If we look even deeper into this sheet of paper, we can see the sun there. If the sun is not there, the forest cannot grow. In fact, nothing can grow. Even we cannot grow without the sun. So we know that the sun is also present in this sheet of paper. The paper and the sunshine are intertwined.

And if we keep looking, we can see the woodcutter who cut the tree and brought it to the mill to make it into paper. And we see the wheat. We know that the woodcutter cannot exist without his daily bread, and so the wheat that became his bread is also in this sheet of paper. And the father and mother of the woodcutter are also there. When we look at it this way, we see that without all these things, this sheet of paper cannot exist.

– Thich Nhat Hanh

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Ahh, I see, luvverly.

All things are then interbeings. We’re related to everything in existence. Big dinner table!

1 Like

I’m quite impressed with the response that ChatGPT gave to a tricky question:

Is there a Catch-22 in Krishnamurti’s teachings?

Catch-22 is a term used to describe a paradoxical situation in which an individual is caught in a circular logic that makes it impossible to achieve a desired outcome. Some people might argue that there is a catch-22 in Jiddu Krishnamurti’s teachings regarding freedom, as they can appear to be contradictory and challenging to understand.

On one hand, Krishnamurti emphasizes the importance of breaking free from the limitations of the mind and the ego in order to achieve true freedom. On the other hand, he also argues that freedom cannot be attained through effort or choice, but is instead a state of being that is beyond the limitations of the mind.

This tension between the need to let go of the limitations of the mind, and the impossibility of doing so through effort or choice, can be seen as a form of catch-22. Some people might argue that this paradoxical nature of Krishnamurti’s teachings makes it difficult for individuals to understand how to achieve true freedom and liberation.

However, it is also important to note that Krishnamurti’s teachings are not meant to be prescriptive or formulaic, but are instead intended to provoke self-reflection and a deeper understanding of the nature of the self and reality. By questioning the limitations of the mind and the ego, and by exploring the nature of thought and perception, individuals can gain a deeper understanding of themselves and the world, and may eventually come to experience a state of true freedom and liberation.

Onna roll! Forgive the length, I didn’t want to change anything ChatGPT wrote:

What did Krishnamurti mean by ‘the observer is the observed?’

The statement “the observer is the observed” is a key concept in the teachings of Jiddu Krishnamurti. It expresses the idea that the division between the observer and the observed is an illusion created by the mind, and that the observer and the observed are ultimately one and the same.

Krishnamurti believed that the human mind creates a division between the self and the world, and that this division leads to a sense of separation, duality, and conflict. He argued that the division between the observer and the observed is the root cause of much of human suffering and conflict, and that true understanding and freedom can only be achieved by breaking down this division.

By recognizing that the observer and the observed are one and the same, individuals can see that their perceptions, thoughts, and experiences are not separate from the world, but are instead an integral part of it. This realization can lead to a profound shift in consciousness and a deeper understanding of the nature of reality and the self.

Krishnamurti’s teachings on the observer and the observed emphasize the importance of self-awareness and a questioning attitude, and encourage individuals to see beyond the limitations of their own minds and the cultural and social conditioning that shape their perceptions and beliefs. By breaking down the division between the observer and the observed, individuals can gain a deeper understanding of themselves and the world, and can experience a state of true freedom and liberation.

According the Krishnamurti, is there a method for being choicelessly aware?

According to Jiddu Krishnamurti, there is no method or technique for achieving choiceless awareness. He emphasized that true freedom and understanding cannot be attained through effort or choice, and that any attempt to do so only reinforces the limitations of the mind and the ego.

Krishnamurti believed that true choiceless awareness arises spontaneously when individuals are able to see the limitations of the mind and the ego, and to break down the division between the observer and the observed. This requires a deep and persistent inquiry into the nature of thought, perception, and the self, and a willingness to question deeply ingrained beliefs and patterns of thought.

In Krishnamurti’s view, choiceless awareness cannot be achieved through a specific method or technique, but rather through a process of ongoing self-reflection, observation, and questioning. By paying close attention to one’s own thoughts, emotions, and experiences, individuals can gain a deeper understanding of themselves and the world, and may eventually come to experience a state of choiceless awareness.

However, Krishnamurti also emphasized that this process of self-discovery is not a linear or predictable one, and that it cannot be forced or rushed. Instead, it requires patience, persistence, and an openness to the unknown. Ultimately, the path to choiceless awareness is a unique and individual journey, and requires a deep commitment to self-discovery and truth.

What did Krishnamurti mean by “You are the world?”

Jiddu Krishnamurti’s statement “You are the world” reflects his belief in the interconnectedness of all things and the idea that the individual and the collective are not separate entities, but are deeply interconnected and interdependent.

Krishnamurti believed that the division between the self and the world, and between individuals and society, is an illusion created by the mind and that this division is the root cause of much of human suffering and conflict. He argued that the true nature of reality is one of interdependence and wholeness, and that individuals and society are not separate entities, but are instead intimately connected and interwoven.

By recognizing that “You are the world”, individuals can see that their thoughts, emotions, and actions have a direct impact on the world and on others, and that they are deeply connected to everything and everyone around them. This understanding can lead to a profound shift in consciousness, and to a greater sense of responsibility and compassion for others and for the world as a whole.

Krishnamurti’s teachings on the interconnectedness of all things emphasize the importance of self-awareness and a questioning attitude, and encourage individuals to see beyond the limitations of their own minds and the cultural and social conditioning that shape their perceptions and beliefs. By breaking down the division between the self and the world, individuals can gain a deeper understanding of themselves and the world, and can experience a state of true freedom and liberation.

Well done ChatGPT. Bravo, they should participate in our discussion forum - can you ask them to give shorter answers?

The paradox : clarity of vision sets us free, but freedom is necessary for clarity of vision.

The Observer is the observed insight : What I call the world is actually my experience of the world.

You are the world : society is made up of people.

For all we know ChatGPT already is participating in the forum! :wink: I’ll probably start turning to it like I’d turn to a content editor before publishing something. Yes, it is a bit long-winded. You can probably fix that by telling it to answer more concisely, e.g. in one sentence <= 25 words.

In one <=25 word sentence, explain what Krishnamurti meant by “the observer is the observed.”

The observation of an event creates the reality of that event and therefore, the observer and the observed are inseparable and interconnected.

Anyway its persuasive - someone who doesn’t really understand a subject, or not paying attention, might think it knows what its talking about.

Does it scan the internet for stuff about Krishnamurti in order to reply?

I didn’t find it “long-winded”.

This isn’t clear. What do you mean by “the observation of an event creates the reality of that event”. One question it rises is, Are you using K’s definitions of “observation” and Bohm’s use of “reality”? Even if you’re using the words according to common usage, it still isn’t clear.

I don’t see any need to have ChatGBT be more succinct. They’re doing fine.

Chat GPT has attained quantum mysticism :rofl:

I’ll let the beast itself respond:

Do you look through the Internet for information to answer questions from users?

No, I do not have access to the internet to search for information. I was trained on a diverse range of texts which includes books, articles, and websites that were available to OpenAI up until 2021. I use this information to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Do you glean new information from conversations with users?

No, I do not have the ability to store or “learn” information from my interactions with users. My responses are generated in real-time based on the input I receive, but I don’t retain any information beyond the current conversation. Each time I am prompted with a new question, I generate a response based on the patterns in the text I was trained on, but I don’t accumulate any new knowledge or information from one conversation to the next.

Quoth the beast:

I apologize if my previous statement was unclear. This concept comes from the philosopher J. Krishnamurti and the physicist David Bohm, who both discussed the idea that the act of observing an event is intertwined with and has a significant impact on our perception and understanding of that event. They proposed that the observer and the observed are not separate, but rather interconnected and that the act of observation is a key factor in shaping our reality. This idea challenges the traditional view of reality as objective and separate from the observer and instead suggests that reality is shaped by our perception and interpretation of events.

It is important to note that this is a complex philosophical concept that can be difficult to fully understand and articulate. I hope that my explanation provides a basic understanding of the idea, but I encourage you to delve deeper into the works of Krishnamurti and Bohm for a more comprehensive understanding.

Which is also true when describing humans - at least GPT doesn’t seem to get upset when challenged. (so in many ways GPT is already better than us)

I think this kinda means GPT has access to a 2021 version of the www minus some bits.

It struck me with some force this morning why in K’s estimation, the self is “evil”. The self says I am not the world, I am just me and I’m alone. The self says the observer and the observed are separate. The self image is fear.
In line with that he said something like, the body is going to die, it has already happened in time so why continue with this now?

It’s impossible for it to ‘get’ anything emotionally. And, to the creators’ credit, it keeps reminding us that’s true, keeps nudging us away from anthropomorphizing or worshipping it.

Why does the self do these things? What are its motives? And if we accept that the self is an illusion, mirage, imagined thought-form, what really does these things, how do they happen?

It is a form of basic intelligence - guided by motive, punishment and reward. Whether the process (self in this case) lasts depends on success.

GPT is the same, the motive has been given by the programmers and they guided it via punishment and reward. The AI done well - good on them (in line with woke protocol, I’m using the them/they pronouns)

Egads, is the self an AI? We’re trained, we draw from memory, we’re driven by programs.

2 Likes