Listening to K

Hello Dev and all. I have a friend (he doesn’t read K) who “practises” meditation with a kind of guru guiding him. He says things like, “I’m progressing - there are more and more gaps between my thoughts.” Now this may be true, but it always rings hollow to me. I’m not sure why. Is it the case that even saying such things reduces the likelihood of innocence occuring in the future?

Doesn’t judging another affirm myself? Strengthen my ego?

1 Like

There’s a bully born every minute. How does one respond to a bully without bullying back? May not be possible and therein lies the sorrow of mankind.

1 Like

Maybe judging anything affirms “myself”. But what is judgement’s right place?

1 Like

Surely not in confirmation of our existing biases? (for science or innocence we have to move in the opposite direction)

What do we want? No frontiers to consciousness! When do we want it?..

PS. Your friend won’t last a minute in the Kinfonet ring : there is no progression of the self. You don’t win by comparing the length of your silences between thoughts.

1 Like

Hi Emile
I’m guessing about your post. Could you explain who is the “bully” that you are referring to?

FF Sake! Never expose a bully! That would be bullying - which is probably why the fellow is a bully in the first place.

Conditioned thought. Therefore, all of us.

1 Like

We work at self-improvement because we want to feel better about ourselves, but if it seems to me that I may be nothing but who/what I think I am, self-improvement can be the path of escape from who I am to who I am becoming.

If I need a ripe avocado or melon, I need the knowledge necessary to ‘judge’ whether what I’m holding in my hand fills the bill…but as regards the kind of ‘transformation ‘ that we are discussing here, who among us has the knowledge to say that the path taken by another is the ‘wrong one’ for them?

We are the bully and the bullied. Yet, ultimately, we are neither. We’re just stuff … happening.

There’s only one truth and there ain’t no path to it. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

Yeah, (bull)shit happens.

A lot. :wink:

Hi Dan. Yes, I think we have to be careful about this. The friend I mentioned in my previous post is someone who I want to keep as a friend so I try not to be too judgemental about his path. Engaging in healthy debate, if skillfully done, should surely be possible though.

The Kinfonet ring? Maybe we should all have different coloured belts Douglas. :slight_smile:

Its a jungle in here! we haven’t evolved to a stage where we are organising and formalising our catcalls and philosophical putdowns yet. We did have a couple of lackadaisical referees at one point, but its a total back alley scratch n spit now.

PS. sorry Dev, joke

Nor sure of any research, bu after awakening from listening to K I felt happy and that I may have understood on a different level.

Catcall organisation workshop anyone?

1 Like

On a couple of occasions you wrote of “winning” in a forum like this. On one of those occasions you mention how my replying to you, “I don’t know”, was a winning strategy, though it seems to me more like forfeiting than scoring.

Do we know we’re winning when we get those little valentines, or when playing our own game we keep our score-keeping to ourselves?