Krishnamurti's Multiple Personalities (DID)

A more accurate (if I am following you correctly) wording would be : the 2nd hand account based on memory - so not an eye witness account, and certainly not the diagnosis/hypothesis based on a direct doctor/patient relationship.

Precision, discipline, accuracy, are important in science - or the scientific method - in order to avoid the human habit of opinion, tomato sauce and coffee stains being mistaken for the actual equation.

I admit that the diagnosis of historical figures based on documents and artefacts is very interesting and entertaining. (I like!)

1 Like

Again, you haven’t actually replied to my request to you that you explain why you feel K’s teachings about negating ambition and dying to oneself daily (etc) are problematic. But I will respond to your post as you have given it.

You compare and contrast a statement by K made in the 1920s (while he was still under the influence of Theosophical language) with a statement made by K in the 1960s, maybe to convey some contradictoriness or ambiguity (although you do not say this)? The earlier manner of expression is of course more poetic and theistic; but it is quite clear - both from the biographies and from K - that his teachings only came into their own as such from the 1930s onwards; and there is a striking continuity to what he said and wrote post 1933 and what he was teaching when he died in 1986 (i.e. the issue of thought, the problem of gradual evolution -psychologically speaking -, the need for self-knowledge and the ending of thought and self, etc). Apparently don’t want to discuss K’s teachings from 1933 onwards because you find them mentally disturbing; but again, it would be helpful for you to say more about what you find disturbing about them, so we can actually find out the truth of the matter.

When you say that K’s articulation of internal perceptions were a series of

it is not clear what your meaning is. K never promised or guaranteed anything “spiritually”. In fact he stated repeatedly that the kinds of perceptions he talked about cannot be manufactured artificially, and that - if anything - they depend on the complete absence of psychological thought or ego (which was central to his teaching, though very rare in human experience). If K was merely selling a “product”, then the price he stipulated for it’s purchase was rather dear!

I have read all the biographies you have mentioned (except for Candles in the Sun), and am aware of the tension that existed between the physical personality of K and the state of mind that K sometimes referred to as the “teacher” (or even “the Buddha”), but I don’t understand why one would think this to be unnatural? I do not think of myself as a believer (although I don’t accept for a second Radha Sloss’ grotesque characterisation of K’s process as a simple need for sexual validation) - I simply think it is reasonable to expect there to be a tension between the obvious conditioning that comes with having a physical body (and physical character or personality that goes with it), and a “religious mind” that is no longer conditioned or reducible to the brain. It would be strange to me if such a tension did not exist.

Returning now to your main contention - i.e. that K had a dissociative disorder stemming from childhood trauma - I suppose it is worth pointing out here that correlation does not equal causation. The mere fact that a few very general descriptions of dissociative disorder overlap with what happened to K during his “process”, does not mean that the causes are the same. The confusion of correlation with causation is one of the major problems with political, sociological and psychological analyses of material and psychological conditions. In both Buddhism and Hinduism there is a long intellectual history relating to certain states of mind that are almost impossible to adequately describe due to their relative rarity - states of infinitude, of nothingness, total emptiness (sunyata samadhi), a state beyond perception or non-perception (nirvikalpa samadhi, turiya, etc). There are certainly dissociative components to these states; but reduce them to forms of hysteria, traumatic experience, or a need for sexual validation, is an obviously crude form of reductionism.

One also has to critique the psychological assumptions that underpin the medicalisation of so-called “occult” experience. Medical science is very clear and objective when it comes to the body, but it is much less lucid when it comes to explaining hidden ascots of the mind. Be cause psychological theory has evolved out of philosophy and science, and rests on certain key assumptions that have been made by certain theorists about philosophy and science, all of this is relevant to any analysis we make about non-ordinary states of cognition. Psychological theory is built up out of all kinds of theoretical assumptions and convictions that are not transparent at first glance and in need of unpacking. Some psychologists - like Jung, for example - accept the validity of paranormal experience, while others - like the schools of behaviourism and Freudian psychoanalysis, etc - do not. While clearly medical forms of dissociative disorder can be deduced from traumatic events - along the lines set out by Van der Kolk -, others, that emerge from meditative experience and refer to extra-perceptual experience, relate to aspects of consciousness that science has not yet adequately comprehended. The nature of consciousness is an active area of philosophy and science in which all kinds of theories abound, and which will prejudice any analysis depending on which theory is adopted. Perhaps the most relevant current studies on mental phenomena are coming out of the intersection between pharmacology and consciousness studies - following the paradigm established by William James, Aldous Huxley and others (most recently popularised by Michael Pollan, whose book - How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, And Transcedence - has been made into a Netflix documentary).

It is clear from these avenues of research that non-ordinary and even paranormal perceptual experience is a natural part of the human brain, when stimulated by certain events, such as meditation, near death experiences, pharmacological inputs, and yes, trauma! While the mainstream medical view is based on the philosophical theory that the mind is reducible to the brain, these studies provide first person evidence that trauma - and the body as a whole - are in the mind, are in consciousness, and not the other way around. K sometimes said that his “process” was the mean for a much wider perception of reality to be brought into the limitations of the brain - by altering the brain physically to make these more extensive perceptions possible. If the brain is considered - following Huxley - as a reducing valve for the mind, then K’s own self-diagnosis of his “process” may in fact be the correct one. And there is no current science that I am aware of can rules this out.

However, the whole point of K’s teachings is that when it comes to psychological experience, ultimately no theoretical model will suffice for first-person investigation of one’s own mind (which is, after all, the only human mind that we have non-speculative access to). The analyser is the analysed. So to find out for oneself whether non-ordinary states of consciousness are in fact natural and non-neurotic, one must explore the mind oneself, without the intermediary of science, religion, Krishnamurti’s expression of his experiences or the speculations from his biographers.

5 Likes

Spirituality GIFs | Amazing GIFs of Spirituality| Best Animations

1 Like

James, thank you for excellent descriptons of what one can observe.

About what one cannot describe exactly and can only approximate or speculate, Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle came to my mind. Greater certainty of one thing simultaneously entails greater uncertainty of the other.

J. Krishnamurti & David Bohm - Gstaad 1975 - 7: If thought cannot achieve, why should it suffer?

K: It sounds too damn silly to say there is something the mind, thought cannot penetrate, but there is… the thing is there.

DB: Would you say then that somehow in this mystery there is an order which involves all that?

K: Yes.

DB: Which would imply a destiny that was common to mankind or something?

DB: And there was that… Well, you feel that’s the case but you don’t feel it’s wise to inquire.

K: No.

DB: But of course, I mean, I’m not questioning it, but saying, many people have that feeling and they can be wrong, you know. In other words…

K: Oh, I’ve gone into it very carefully.

DB: Yes.

K: Many people have it – of course, good Lord! You see, sir, take that boy – ill, discovered, trained – trained in the sense to be clean, to… in India in those days, not having a mother the boys were trained to get up early, wash properly, all that – not psychologically trained – because they said, ‘He is the vehicle of the Lord, therefore we can’t interfere, psychologically.’ You follow, sir? Now, he never went through all the things he talks about.

DB: What do you mean?

K: I’ll tell you, I’ll tell you, I’ll tell you, I’ll go into it. Jealousy.

DB: No.

K: Never attached to property, money – you follow? – all that. Never, never thought of a position, status, hierarchical outlook – except when I get into Mrs Simmons’ car, and then I can – you know, what is it? – Land Rover, I can look down – that’s all. Otherwise, I have no feeling of looking up or looking down. Now, how does this all happen? All without cultivating it or wanting it.

DB: Yes, well, you know, but I mean, that’s… this idea’s been common in mankind, that there is such a destiny, you see. In fact the Theosophists believed it themselves, I mean.

K: Oh, sir, what the Theosophists believed was too fantastic.

DB: Yes, but…

K: It may be called the nuthouse, but I mean that’s irrelevant. I’m saying Theosophists have got quite a different… No, I must be careful.

DB: They have a different idea of destiny, but…

K: No, not…

DB: You are trying to say that there’s… you know, that this whole thing didn’t happen by accident.

K: That’s it.

DB: That there’s a hidden order, you know, a mysterious order.

K: No, no, they would say there is the whole hierarchical principle in life.

K: And the highest principle, the Maitreya, etc., etc.

DB: He rules the lower, yes. I mean, let’s say you discard the idea that some principle is ruling…

DB: …in that hierarchical sense. But let’s say, having discarded that, you are nevertheless proposing that there is still an order, that things don’t happen by accident, to this boy. I mean, they didn’t…

K: Yes, I’m trying to imply that, to be truthful. Truthful… (laughs)

K: …not… (laughs) Yes.

DB: And this order is in some sense a mystery.

K: Yes. I think, not a mystery in the sense of great mystery.

DB: Not secret or anything.

K: Not secret.

DB: But something which you cannot penetrate, is it? I mean, you couldn’t find the ultimate explanation of it, or it’s not worth trying, I mean.

DB: But I mean, if you could, well, it would only lead to another mystery, I suppose, if you…

K: I don’t… it’s like… I can’t. Let me put it a little bit more simply. Neither I want to, or…

DB: …nor can you. But you see, that raises a question, because if you don’t want to, that would already be enough to be sure you couldn’t, you see.

K: Yes, of course.

DB: So it doesn’t prove it can’t be done, it merely proves that you can’t do it.

K: It proves I can’t do it, and I don’t want to.

DB: Because you don’t… Yes, but it’s maybe the other way round, you see, that you can’t… is it you can’t because you don’t want to, or is it you don’t want to because you can’t?

K: No, on the contrary. I think I can but I don’t want to.

DB: I see – that’s it. Yes, well, and you feel… there’s a feeling you can’t explain that.

K: No, I think it is something – that’s it – it’s something mysterious, in the sense we’re talking, which you cannot penetrate by thought.

DB: Yes. Well, then that also means that you also can’t. I mean… You cannot penetrate it by thought, but does that mean it could be penetrated in some other way?

K: Maybe.

DB: Maybe.

K: But I don’t think so.

DB: Probably not.

K: You know, after all, the church, Catholic Church said there is a mystery – thought cannot… you cannot understand it.

K: And the various religions have put it in different ways. But here we come to a point: here is a man who says… all that. And it’s like picking a flower, looking at a flower, and tearing it to pieces. And there is no flower at the end of it.

DB: I see, so you’re saying that the thing is not capable of analysis, what we’re talking about is not capable of analysis; it is a whole which is not analysable. And are you implying that thought must analyse then? You’re implying then thought can only analyse.

K: Thought can only analyse – of course.

DB: Yes. Yes, so that if you don’t analyse it then all that can be possible is to participate in it.

K: And also there’s a tremendous danger of deceiving oneself.

DB: Yes. Yes, because so many people have had similar ideas.

K: I’ve been through all that. (Laughs) I mean, I’ve no desire to be any – you follow? – that doesn’t enter into my being at all.

DB: Yes. I mean, you could argue that the fact that so many people have thought this way may… it doesn’t necessarily prove it’s wrong, it may only say that people get a glimpse of it and then they go astray.

K: They go astray.

DB: Because of desire to get hold of it, and so on.

K: Yes. No, but if they go astray, I question whether they see it.

DB: I didn’t say they see it – they got a glimpse there is some…

K: I don’t think they can get a glimpse of it.

DB: Well, then what happens? But people get an impression.

K: Because they think they have a glimpse of it.

DB: They think they have a glimpse of it. Well, let’s put it this way, that thought is not satisfied with the known…

K: That’s it, that’s it.

DB: …and therefore projects the mysterious.

DB: And at the same time, some people who perhaps have seen this and they also have said it – that becomes part of the tradition and suggests it, and so on.

K: You see, sir, that’s why, in a way I’m glad Mary has written that book, because while one is living one can correct it, a little bit, you know, answer these questions, that he wasn’t a neurotic, that he wasn’t a…

DB: …psychotic or something.

K: …epileptic…

DB: …epileptic or disturbed – you know, mentally disturbed…

K: …mentally disturbed, drugged – you know, all that kind of thing. But, the fact remains that there is something which cannot be explained.

DB: Yes, well, you see, let’s try to put it that the… if explanation will involve some kind of analysis, or at least some… and you’re saying this will escape analysis or even would be destroyed by analysis.

K: It cannot be destroyed.

DB: It cannot be destroyed – well, will escape it.

K: Analysis can’t touch it.

DB: It can’t touch it. It cannot be touched by analysis, so the flower analogy is not quite right.

DB: Because the flower, you see, is destroyed, but all that is possible is to participate…

K: That’s all I’m… That’s all… I was going to say, if you have this thing, this mystery, this thing, I will participate when I listen to you completely – you follow? – when you… Say, for instance, you say truth is a pathless land. I capture… it is so, for me – therefore no guru – you follow? – the whole thing goes. The moment I hear it, it’s finished.

You see, I never discussed this thing… I’ve never gone into this as deeply as we have done.

Oh Lord, it’s raining.

DB: Raining a bit.

(Pause)

K: Or have I? I may have – I don’t know.

DB: Perhaps.

(Pause)

K: I never told you that incident. Probably I’ve told you – Seniora and Mrs Zimbalist. I was staying in Bombay, and I don’t speak any Indian language. There was a knock on the door and Mrs Jayakar, her servant opened the door, and there were three sannyasis, monks. And she asked them in and told Mrs Jayakar. Mrs Jayakar came forward and brought them into the room, and I was in my room, and she brought them and said, ‘There are three sannyasis here,they want to meet you.’ One was a very old man. He had lived by himself for eleven years in the Himalayas, and he was making a pilgrimage, going south, to the varioustemples. And he was so old, so I was… I felt, you know… and I held his hand, he began to cry – because probably nobody held his hand. And we sat around and he said – in Hindi to her – said, ‘We were passing by and we felt that there was a great man here and we wanted to meet him.’ Whether he had been told or whether it was a fact, I don’t know. (Laughs) I’m sceptical of all that kind of thing.

K: So he explained, he talked about various people in the room, telling them truths about themselves. Then he said, ‘May I wash my hands, please?’ So they brought him a basinand a jug of cold water out of the ice box, and washed his hands, and towel and wiped it. Then after cleaning his hands, from the same jug, he poured it into his hand and passed it round. That is the Indian tradition, that when a sannyasi offers his blessing, he does it that way – that you take the water, sip it, touch it with your tongue, and swallow it. It went round the first time. And he said again, ‘May I wash my hands?’ Again, he passed it around, and it came to me – I was sitting next to him – because I was the last. And I tasted it and it’s… the first water was plain water. Second water, second time, was… it tasted very sweet. I said, ‘Good Lord, is he playing a trick on us?’ I didn’t say anything. And he left presently. Oh yes, he said to Sunanda, ‘You have no children. You are married, you have no children. Do you want children? If you do, take this,’ out of his something,‘you’ll have children.’ He says… (inaudible) (laughs)

DB: She doesn’t want it.

K: I’d rather not! (Laughs) And to Balasundaram.

After he left, I asked several of them, ‘Did you taste that water?’ because it tasted like coconut water or some sweet water.’ And they all said yes. And, you know, this poor old man, he couldn’t put saccharine
in there, or some kind of sugar twisted in, or something that made the water sweet. You understand, sir? How did it happen? (Laughs) Probably he was unaware of it himself.

No, there are strange things in the world, sir.

K: When I was a boy I saw – not a boy – when I used to live in the Theosophical Society, because I was one of the heads of the affair, a man comes, there were several of us sitting in the room – a man comes, a sannyasi, a man, a so-called religious man comes, a monk, and talks to us and all kinds of things. And we’re all sitting like this, and he suddenly levitates, floats across, and sits over there. He had no springs, no rope pulling him. (Laughs)

DB: Yes, well, I mean, a lot of people are talking of strange things nowadays. Well, I think… well, one could say that our understanding of nature is very limited anyway, but I think there’s a distinction of two kinds of strange things, you see – that sort of thing might be mysterious in one sense, but it might still be…

K: I don’t think it’s mysterious.

DB: No, well, something unknown to us now.

DB: But it might be understandable later.

K: No, they explain it.

DB: They explain it – by what?

K: By a special kind of life, discipline, breathing.

DB: But I meant that it violates what we know about the laws of nature.

K: Nature – yes, gravity and so on.

DB: Which may mean that the laws of nature could be different.

DB: You see, that still need not be mysterious.

K: No, that’s what I mean – that’s not mysterious.

DB: Although it’s strange.

K: Yes. That’s why I want to differentiate the mystery from the strange.

K: And also I’ve seen, in front of… there were several of us, a man sitting over there and a rose bed in the middle. He asked for a newspaper, he said, ‘Put it down at your feet.’ We were sitting on steps and he was sitting right across, and he said, ‘Watch it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to mesmerise you, because you’re a religious man, but watch it.’ And you saw the paper smaller and smaller and disappear. I don’t see the point of it, but I mean…

DB: No, but I mean that’s something strange which might be explained.

K: Oh, they explain it very simply.

DB: No, but I meant there are different kinds of explanations.

K: Yes, yes. I’m only saying this to show that strangeness is not the other.

DB: Yes. But you’re saying that what happened to this boy was not of that nature.

K: Yes, that’s all.

DB: That strange nature, but…

K: I don’t know what happened but that’s not of that nature.

DB: But is it your feeling that whatever happened, that there was behind it some sort of – for want of a better word – destiny or order which was aimed at some transformation of man?

K: Probably.

3 Likes

Probably the immediacy of perception makes it more difficult to analyse the perception with a separate part of the brain. K once said to Bohm that water cannot know itself as water.

It comes down to the point that one may just have to accept that

It may be “a hidden destiny” or “hidden order” of things, but one can never know about it from ‘outside’ - and apparently one doesn’t think about it from ‘inside’ either.

If one tears the flower to analyse it, one destroys the flower. So one can only look at “the flower”, perceive it, rather than analyse it: it remains

My hidden ascot makes me feel classy

1 Like

According to K, it cannot be touched nor destroyed, it seems that what can be touched and destroyed is rather our capacity to perceive and remain with the mystery in spite of all our knowledge and explanations for almost everything, probably because of them.

Today is World Mental Health Day so perhaps a good moment to discuss this. Actually, I think the topic of who decides who has a mental illness and who doesn’t would probably be an interesting discussion but on another thread.

If we’re talking in scientific terms, then I don’t think any of us here are qualified to give a diagnosis of DID or any other mental disorder unless some of us are clinical psychiatrists whose job it is to evaluate, diagnose and treat people with DID and other mental disorders.

I’m not an expert in this field but I imagine that diagnosis requires an extremely thorough study and evaluation of a patient. It strikes me as very unscientific diagnosing a man who died more than 36 years ago based on the accounts of others.

As for K, all we have are the teachings which surely speak for themselves and, as far as I can see, could only have been produced by a supremely intelligent, sane mind.

4 Likes

We also have what K himself said about this issue, the clarifications he gave while still living hence, the relevance of these dialogues with DB, a scientist, and, participating in the distance, with Dr. Shainberg, a psychiatrist, no amateurs.

I can understand what it is said that the person is not important only the teachings, but in this case and since K considered himself as rather than a human being as the human being in the process of transformation carried out by “something” directly on him due to his lack of ego, I think that the teachings cannot be separated from the “person”. It´s a flagrant contradiction to say that the teachings have been produced by a supreme intelligence and, at the same time, to say or to leave it blowing in the air that the one from whom these teachings were produced was kind of a mental ill person. In fact, for K ending with ego, just a thought, wasn´t a big deal, he always tried to go much deeper than that but he couldn´t because human being is completely stuck in this stuff of the self that for him was a very superficial issue, or just a movement on the surface of the mind-brain.

I think that this is an example of how a fragmented mind works, it takes what fits with its own knowledge, belief or convenience and rejects what doesn´t, same for the teachings, people take the part of having an insight on the observer is the observed through enquiry while reject the part of putting order in our mind which is the foundation for the insight to take place as K claimed once and again. So, we have either the trunk of the elephant, the paws … but never the elephant in its wholeness, therefore, we can go on endlessly discussing whether it is an elephant, an anteater or something else. So funny.

Not sure who has said this - me? DeNiro? Bob Dylan?

1 Like

Sorry, I think I understand now - I wrote the part about the teachings being produced by supreme intelligence and DeNiro argued that K was suffering from a mental disorder. So yes, these two positions contradict each other.

K’s ego is evident in his comb over and extravagant status symbols. Don’t delude yourself. K had an image to maintain and that comes from ego. Best to let the teachings stand alone. Better yet, be alone with the teachings as that’s where the break through occurs.

I guess it depends on how one defines “ego”. I don’t think one needs an ego to comb over one’s baldness, to dress impeccably, or be meticulous and fastidious, especially if one’s livelihood is as a public speaker. There’s no accounting for taste.

Best to let the teachings stand alone. Better yet, be alone with the teachings as that’s where the break through occurs.

I wouldn’t know. Care to tell us about your breakthrough?

It was K who claimed that he had no ego, not me. Was he deluding himself or was he only cheating others?

According to the teaching, the confusion of psychological and practical thought is serious mental illness. But because virtually all of us are afflicted with this condition, we’re normal, and can speak knowingly about the abnormality of mental illness.

We’re seeing our confused, fragmented condition as a collection of separate diseases we categorize as “mental illness”. The lunatics are running the asylum.

So was K mentally ill, or is that how we see his behavior from our mental illness, the self-centered brain?

Thank you for putting so much into this excellent reply. We should be infinitely grateful that some of us are unfolding all this so deeply.
Thanks James

But isn’t any psychological process - however deep and all-consuming it may appear to be from the outside - precisely that?