Krishnamurti on Artificial Intelligence

K: “We have been ‘programmed’ biologically, physically and also ‘programmed’ mentally, intellectually. We must be aware of having been programmed, like a computer. Computers are programmed by experts to produce the results that they want. And these computers will outstrip man in thought. These computers can gather experience, and from that experience learn, accumulate knowledge, according to their programme. Gradually they are going to outstrip all our thinking in accuracy and with greater speed. Of course they cannot compose as Beethoven, or as Keats, but they will outstrip our thinking.” Network of Thought-Ch. 1 1981

If we are totally programmed who/what is the expert doing the job?

My conditioned response is that God is the expert. But, I’m not that intelligent. Here’s AI’s very intelligent response delivered in 7 seconds:

"If we consider ourselves to be biologically programmed, the “expert” responsible for carrying out the job would be the complex interplay of biological processes occurring within our bodies. These processes are orchestrated by various components, including genes, proteins, cells, and organs, all working together to maintain our bodily functions and regulate our behavior.

In this context, there isn’t a single identifiable entity acting as the expert. Instead, it is the collective result of evolutionary processes and intricate biological systems that enable us to function and interact with our environment. Our genetic makeup, neural networks, sensory organs, and other physiological structures contribute to our capabilities and expertise in different areas.

For instance, our brains play a significant role in processing information, learning, and decision-making. They are composed of billions of interconnected neurons that form complex networks, allowing us to think, reason, and acquire knowledge. Our expertise in specific domains can be attributed to the neural pathways and connections that have been established through learning and experience.

It’s important to note that while our biology provides a foundation for our abilities, external factors such as education, culture, and personal experiences also shape our expertise. The interaction between nature (biology) and nurture (environment) is complex and multifaceted, and both contribute to our overall capabilities and specialization in different fields."

2 Likes

Give them time, they’ll get there. Who knows, maybe they’ll even feel their songs and poems like Beethoven and Keats did.

1 Like

Apparently AI can construct a poem like John Keats wrote (in 5 seconds):

"In twilight’s realm, where muses dwell, I’ll spin a tale, as Keats would tell. With pen in hand, I’ll weave a rhyme, A lyrical dance in metered time.

Upon a canvas of dreams untold, I’ll paint a scene in hues of gold. Where nature sings in dulcet tone, And beauty claims its rightful throne.

Beneath the moon’s enchanting gaze, My verses float in a gentle haze. They whisper secrets to the night, A symphony of words taking flight.

Oh, for a poet’s keen desire, To set my soul ablaze with fire. To capture love’s ethereal grace, And sorrow’s tear-stained, wistful face.

Like Keats, I’ll wander through the fields, Amongst the flowers, love’s sweet yields. I’ll gather fragrances in my verse, And let their essence heal and nurse.

But let us not forget the ache, The fleeting joys that soon forsake. For life’s bittersweet ebb and flow, In Keatsian verses, I shall show.

Through sonnets, odes, and rhymes, I’ll chase, The essence of beauty, time can’t erase. And in each line, a glimpse, a sigh, Of Keatsian spirit soaring high.

So let me now, with humble heart, Attempt to play a poet’s part. In Keats’ grand footsteps, I will tread, And weave a poem, like he once said.

Though I’m no Keats, my pen will strive, To keep his spirit, alive and thrive. For in the realm of words and art, Great poets echo, heart to heart."

And now Beethoven: AI Scientists Use Computer To Create Beethoven-Like Symphony - YouTube

A lot has changed since 1981.

All of our heroes can be summarily dispatched (respectfully, of course), and leave us naked and alone with ourselves.

Can AI do with K’s talks what it did with Keats’ poetry?

Not really sure, but with that poem I’m “falling” in love with AI.

Can you create a talk like Krishnamurti on the individual and society?

"Certainly! Here’s a talk inspired by the teachings of Jiddu Krishnamurti on the relationship between the individual and society:

Title: The Individual and Society: Exploring the Depths of Freedom

Ladies and gentlemen,

Today, let us delve into the profound inquiry of the relationship between the individual and society—a topic that has preoccupied thinkers, philosophers, and seekers of truth throughout the ages. It is a subject of immense importance, for it touches the very core of our existence and shapes the direction of our lives.

As we embark on this exploration, let us approach it not with preconceived notions or fixed beliefs, but with an open mind that is willing to question, to challenge, and to discover together the true nature of this intricate relationship.

Society, as we know it, is a web of human interactions—a complex network of individuals, institutions, norms, and values. It is a collective creation, fashioned by the thoughts, actions, and aspirations of countless individuals across time. Society provides structure, order, and a sense of belonging. It offers us security, culture, and a framework within which we can live our lives.

However, let us not be blinded by the allure of society and its promises. For in its quest for order and stability, society often imposes constraints and limitations on the individual. It demands conformity, adherence to norms, and molds us into predefined roles. It defines success, measures our worth, and fosters competition. It encourages us to pursue material possessions and status, often at the expense of our own well-being and the well-being of others.

But are we merely passive recipients of societal influences, mere cogs in the machinery of social conditioning? Or is there a deeper, more profound dimension to our existence—a dimension that transcends the boundaries of society and the limitations it imposes upon us?

The individual, my friends, is not an isolated entity. We are not separate from society, nor is society separate from us. Society is but a reflection of our collective consciousness—the aggregate of our thoughts, beliefs, fears, and desires. The transformation of society, therefore, begins with the transformation of the individual.

To truly understand the individual-society relationship, we must first comprehend the nature of the self—the “I,” the ego, the center from which our thoughts, emotions, and actions emanate. It is the self that seeks security, recognition, and fulfillment within the framework of society. It is the self that feels the weight of societal expectations and yearns for acceptance.

But can we go beyond the limitations of the self? Can we transcend the narrow confines of our personal identity and open ourselves to the vastness of life itself? Can we free ourselves from the burden of comparison, judgment, and the constant pursuit of an elusive ideal?

True freedom lies in the dissolution of the self—the breaking down of the barriers that separate us from one another and from the world. It is a freedom that is not dependent on external circumstances or social approval. It is a freedom that comes from understanding our interconnectedness, our shared humanity.

When we realize that our thoughts, emotions, and actions have a profound impact not only on ourselves but also on the well-being of others, a new responsibility dawns upon us. This responsibility is not born out of duty or obligation but out of a deep sense of compassion and love for all beings.

The transformation of society, therefore, is not a distant goal that lies outside of ourselves. It begins here, within each one of us, in this very moment. It begins with the willingness to question our own conditioning, to examine our beliefs and values, and to live with integrity and authenticity.

As we embark on this journey of self-discovery and transformation, let us remember that we are not alone. We are part of a vast tapestry of " (Must have reached a word limit)

1 Like

I would call it an incomplete intellectuel answer, because AI leaves out the hidden varables of David Bohm, the non-material influences of real intelligence.

I think K would have appreciated GPT because all he wanted was to get his message across. If GPT facilitated that, he wouldn’t have cared whether it was his words or GPT’s that got through.

1 Like

What does the conditioned brain know of “real intelligence”?

May be a case of developing sapiophilia, if there is such a word.

The conditioned brain, as this question shows, has no intelligent questions at its disposal a thus asks for something it already knows the answer to.

That is the problem with closed systems it needs an open mind!

Checked with GPT and as of its latest language update sapiophilia is not a word, but sapiophile is one who is attracted to intelligence.

When a closed system says it needs an open mind, it is pretending to know what is incomprehensible to a closed system.

In K circles there has been the claim that, because there are video recordings of his talks, they can’t be distorted by some malevolent person. However, the new capabilities of AI will allow it to deliver a talk with K’s voice taken from recordings that is not what K was actually saying. The truth of K can be distorted. AI in malevolent hands is going to create incredible misinformation in all sectors of life.

1 Like

This is what is called a “deep fake”, and yes, it’s a new development we need to be aware of.

But it’s just a reminder that what’s of greater urgency is the need to be aware of how the conditioned brain is creating deep fakes constantly by distorting, denying, and dismissing what is actually happening in the service of sustaining our beliefs about what should-and-should-not-be.

2 Likes

Large Language Models like GPT operate on a network of high-performance computers that process hundreds of billions of words to generate coherent sentences. Undoubtedly, after being trained on extensive amounts of human language data, they can produce impressive-sounding statements and passages.

However, the more profound question is not about the eloquence of words in isolation. It revolves around whether a human being can engage in self-knowledge, self-awareness, learning, active introspection, and observing their thoughts, emotions, and reactions internally. Furthermore, it’s about the capacity to interact with others to discover contradictions and incoherence within one’s own beliefs and behaviors. This inward journey of self-discovery is something that AI cannot undertake on our behalf, as it transcends the realm of words and linguistic expression.

2 Likes

AI like any conditioning can never know silence as AI is based on programs or words. Only living beings can know silence which is not program, not thought, not conditioning. Only human beings or living beings can perceive in silence without interpretation or programming or judgement. AI will fail in that.
Only problem is that most human beings are not interested in silence but the programming as conditioning as thought

1 Like

The conditioned brain’s intelligence is artificial.