Is Present Moment Attention Meditation?

Are you thinking now? That was the question. Your answer seems to be a reflex action - those kinds of things are surely much more tiring. All I am asking is if we can stop and find out. I have no other answer.

We ‘consume’ our immediate environment always in the present: breath, sights, sounds, smells, etc. the body can’t do otherwise. With the functioning of ‘unnecessary ‘ thought , awareness of those immediate activities can be ‘lost’ when thought/time occupies the mind with images of a ‘past’ or of a ‘future’ which it does almost constantly. Can there just be awareness of what the body is doing , experiencing, in the present AND an awareness of the activity of unnecessary thoughts with time when it ‘intrudes’?

We know the body is aware “of what the body is doing, experiencing, in the present”, but without thought we don’t know in so many words what we know physically is actually happening, and we need to know how we feel.

Without thought we have only sensation, and unless doing what we feel like doing always works out for us and everything else, sensation has to be accompanied by what we know about ourselves and our environment. But when our thinking is based on beliefs and misunderstandings, we never know how it feels to be free of our beliefs and misunderstandings, and we’re always confused.

But who decides what is necessary and unnecessary? If thought is there, it is necessary. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be there. So why push away whatever is deemed to be extraneous or unnecessary? I doubt any thought is unnecessary. It is there for a very clear reason.

K: “Samadhi—thought when necessary operates, otherwise the brain is quiet. K—quiet equals no association, recognition, reaction, planning, no time in sense of remembering. Maybe I may change it. It is a state that is always deep but has no depth.”’ These are the kōan type of Krishnaji comments. http://inthepresenceofk.org/issues/issue-87/

1 Like

Yes, but the reason isn’t always reasonable because if isn’t in accord with facts, but with beliefs and misunderstandings.

No ‘pusher’ and no judge. Can the mind just be empty?

Psychologically, there are no facts. Therefore, if you are waiting to deal only with facts, I’m afraid you will be waiting for a very long time. Let’s look at and deal with actually what we have, which are our beliefs and misunderstandings. You have a belief about me - that’s obvious - just as I have a belief about you. So let’s look at this and stop pretending that there is a better and more refined life elsewhere.

But you are still pushing something away when you ask for emptiness. You are asking for something that is not yet present, which means ignoring that which is present.

Yes it is understood that ANY desire to ‘become’ other than what one is in the moment is to add the element of ‘time’. It is an escape and does not simply address the situation that is.
And the knowledge from observation that thought say, IS fear, that knowledge can be the ending of fear in the moment it arises. Not a ‘pushing away’ of the fear image but an understanding that it has no place in the mind unless it is for one’s physical well-being.

So what are we at the moment? What is our situation? (And I have put exactly the same kind of question to Inquiry.)

I’m referring to the incoherence of psychological thought. I’m not waiting for anything.

What is “incoherent “ about psychological thinking?

But you are ignoring the meat of my question. You are sticking with something quite abstract and theoretical, which is what generally happens with any discussion about thought and facts.

I said you have a belief about me just as I have a belief about you. Let’s look at this, I am suggesting.

For example, I believe you will shy away from this. But I may be wrong.

No belief is necessary. What you say says it all.

Sorry, what I mean is that thought is incoherent because it is the fusion of psychological and practical thought.

It is not a matter of necessary or unnecessary. I believe you will shy away from looking at this. But will you? Do you actually shy away? Or will you engage with me in putting some sort of an end to our reliance on beliefs and misunderstandings and all that. Not just now but for the rest of our lives.

I am not going to beg you, but unless we do this together then I really don’t see any point at all in carrying on even talking to you about the safer abstract things.

I don’t need to engage with you for anything.

unless we do this together then I really don’t see any point at all in carrying on even talking to you about the safer abstract things.

Please don’t talk to me at all…especially when I comment on your presumptuous pronouncements.

You see, that’s a belief, and quite a stupid belief as well because your very actions contradict your words.

You said, “but unless we do this together then I really don’t see any point at all in carrying on even talking to you about the safer abstract things”, and I made it clear I want nothing to do with you, yet here you are talking to me.