If you could write K's teaching on a T-shirt

On a background of stars:

Lose your identity and gain the Immensity
(or maybe just go stark raving mad)

1 Like

It was not an assertion on my part but a question and my answer is yes, all of us can understand what is meant by attention. What we don´t know, or overlook, it is its true value, especially when turned towards ourselves, and that´s why we need people like Krishnamurti for them to point it out to us.
Your questions have been posed many times by many people to K., I´d suggest you to make a search on youtube, for instance.

A backbone, is the support, the axis with which everything is tied to. The roots of the tree so to say.

It is that which gives order and consistency, minimizing entropy and inconsistency.

The expression “not having a backbone” will mean many different things in many different contexts. For example, when you can’t or won’t start a fight yourself, yet let others do your fighting for you then obviously you lack a backbone. Or you stir someone else’s fight to further your own agenda. Or when you side with the false because you can’t face that which is true. I believe we often associate a mammal as symbol for an absence of a backbone

True, but where I come from, the meaning is very clear. Glasgow is “no mean city”.

No Mean City is a 1935 novel by H. Kingsley Long, a journalist, and Alexander McArthur, an unemployed worker. It is an account of life in the Gorbals, a run-down slum district of Glasgow (now mostly demolished, but re-built in a contemporary style) with the hard men and the razor gangs.

@Sean
Again, i was elaborating my previous post. It wasn’t for you. But guess i can’t help if someone insists on putting on a pair of shoes. Perhaps they fit really well. O well.

If attention, like compassion and love, cannot be known by the self-centered brain, we can only speculate as to what K meant by “attention”, and speculation can lead to presumption, which is the problem.

As being self-attentive there is not much to say, to talk about or to question, is there?

At some point, yes, that’s true. If you’re there now, congratulations, but check in now and then with your most recent findings. We spend so much time here going over the same old stuff…

Attention is not a self-centered movement of the brain, this is why from it derives certain kind of joy and release , apparently causeless, I´m not saying this because K. said it, K. said it because it is so otherwise it would make no sense nor even to try. If we mystify even this, we´ll always be stuck in ideas and ideals. I can understand self-attentiveness to be difficult for people following some other teachings because they deny “what is”, in the sense K. refers to it, and even the existence of the world, so that they try to isolate “pure awareness” from everything else and to focus only on awareness, but K´s proposal is quite different, no need to deny anything but to observe everything without interfering, including how thought interferes which brings about order and therefore welfare. It is fun, not a torture or something just for a few. Discussing or going into subtle aspects is fine, it refines mind or brain, makes it thinner, not so dense and gross as it uses to be and it is also fun, but the foundation has to be order. No shortcuts to the “absolute”, so to speak. Insights arise from order or in order.

Amazing how the mind works. These two concepts appeared to be weighed differently by me. Partly because attention has a Dutch twin ‘attentie’ which also has a slightly different meaning. Through this research, I also found out that I gave much more value to awareness than to attention while they are almost two sides of the same coin and deserve the same value.

In short James, I was too quick and thoughtless in my reaction.

1 Like

My reply was for “Inquiry”, don´t know why all what I post appears in the main thread, I´m clicking on “reply”, must be because of the “earned” stuff of this site. Sorry.

I’m replying to you @Anonimity (by clicking on the reply button beneath your post) - and I’ve even added a @ to make even more sure that you get notified. However, if I replied to someone further up the thread, there will be some automatic indication that this is the case - although its good practise to highlight the main point you are commenting on and click quote.

But this is a public thread on a public forum - anyone interested can benefit from our chat.

If you want to have a private chat with someone, click on their avatar (the round brown letter I, for Inquiry for example, and you will be able to send them a private message)

Checking, thank you.

I didn’t know you were replying to me.

Quoting what you’re replying to makes it clear to the reader.

" Don’t quote me. " JKrishnamurti

“I’m nobody”
JKrishnamurti

" Don’t quote me,it is not yours."JKrishnamurti

The best teacher frees you from all teachers!

High heels can be bad for the backbone - that’s why I never wear them.

Sir, i’m not the least bit interested in what you do or not do, or for that matter what anyone else does or not does. You may take that information to others who might be interested, or you may do something else with it.

But since you mention it, once the backbone is damaged it doesn’t matter if you wear high heels or covert heels. I think you might be very familiar with covert heels, they are otherwise called platform shoes.

The interesting thing about platform shoes, it seems, it may also indicate a damaged backbone. It may indicate not only the insecurity one has because of one’s short stature, as in an absence of integrity, character, principles, honesty, etc, ya know as the expression goes “little guy”, but it also indicates willful deception. I’m sure you know all about this since you seem to be into shoes.

So again, i ll appreciate if you show some consideration for others time and do not pester or address me/them with these meaningless posts. Please feel free to reach out to others if your backbone is hurting.

As the man said, “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows”.

I don’t know why, but this Dylan quote seems more appropriate:

Your dancing child in his Chinese suit
He spoke to me
I took his flute
No I wasn’t very cute to him
Was I?

2 Likes