Freedom from the known

Since our concern is with the human brain and how it forms an image of who/what it is, and this image becomes a person who has a brain, I think of brains rather than persons.

But we are going to die anyway one day…?

I think what Krishnamurti has taught is that this radical unconditioning is possible for human beings - in Buddhism they talk about liberation, prajna-paramita, nirvana. So, a human possibility.

But if that possibility becomes an ideal, or something impossibly far away, then it is already an abstraction.

So all we have to do is ‘die daily’. For myself that mean being aware of and die to small things - meeting small things as occur (in relationship and in life) and allowing them to flower in awareness, and dissolve, end.

If one can live for a few moments without the past, completely present, that is a form of ending. ‘To die before you die’.

Some clever clogs say its more useful to speak of awakened or enlightened action - meaning that anyone is in danger at any time of acting like a jerk.
We hope that some awakening, kensho, insight that happens to someone will allow them to be more apt at avoiding jerkiness in their day to day life.

Agreed. But what makes you want to do such things? Have you had some experience at least that peace is more pleasant than conflict? And that surrendering to the silence is possible?

If this does describe the why (of why awareness has been seen to be at times more important than winning - than what I want - because I really, truly want peace) does this lead to bigger and less subtle deaths (I don’t think so)?

I’m asking because subtle insights might be too subtle to counteract the known/self in more important (for me and my fears) situations.
Surely subtle insight into peace is powerless to counteract the feeling that the reality I experience is the truth?

Do you think of awakened persons as intelligent brains?

I am talking about the kind of ending where the reflexive psychological reaction never returns. The kind where the reflexive reaction is laid to rest, dead and buried, gone, forever, ad infinitum, amen. That is the thing that’s ‘not in the cards’ for me (at least doesn’t seem), possibly not in the cards for the human brain in general? Deep and complex memory traces rarely disappear entirely afaik. There are the exceptions (perhaps), Krishnamurti for example?

Interesting. Similarly neuroexperts in neuroexpert things talk about ‘unconscious processes’ rather than the unconscious mind.

Yes. Mutation, transformation, nirvana, ending.

But what I’m saying is that perhaps making an image of this ending is a block to simple everyday endings - little endings that may be a clue to the mutation K and others have talked about.

Somewhere on here recently I read him say that freedom is in being aware of one’s daily activities: sights sounds thoughts feelings etc. Doing that as an exercise, (choice less awareness) shows how little aware I am.

Which is to say ‘lost in thought’?

Intelligent, enlightened, awakened, free, etc.

I understand, that sounds right.

1 Like

Krishnamurti said that true freedom is seeing things as they are, without the distortion of I. ?

Well that fits : just simply being aware of whatever information is coming in through the senses at any moment, no motive, just awareness without choice.

Yes, that’s what is needed, but the brain’s psychological content reacts so quickly and automatically to naked awareness, that the brain is barely (if at all) aware of naked awareness before it is clothed by its reactionary contents.