Exploring fear

@crina “Confort zone - I am not referring to the physical confort” Then are you referring to “psychological comfort” like the silence between thoughts?

Psychological death as in freedom from reality. (reality as experienced by the self)

Sorry for confusion Ceklata
I am not at my desk currently, and I should not respond casually

I will reply carefully tonight

1 Like

Another thing they have in common is that they are all reactions to a perceived something: the unknown, time, danger, what-ifs of time, desire, perceived threat of pain and/or harm. Fear is reactive.

Okay that’s the ‘what’ of fear or at least a first swing at it. Onto the ‘how.’

How does fear work, what is its modus operandi?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist to consult AI on this one. It presents so clearly.

"Fear is a complex emotional and physiological response that plays a crucial role in human survival. It is a natural and instinctive reaction to potential threats or dangers in the environment. The modus operandi, or the way fear operates, involves a combination of cognitive, emotional, and physiological processes. Here’s a breakdown of how fear works:

1. Perception of Threat: Fear begins with the perception of a threat or danger. This can be a real or imagined threat to one’s physical or psychological well-being. The brain’s amygdala, a key structure involved in processing emotions, plays a central role in detecting and interpreting potential threats.
  2. Activation of the Fight-or-Flight Response: When a threat is perceived, the brain triggers the release of stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones activate the body’s “fight-or-flight” response, preparing it to either confront the threat or flee from it. This response leads to various physiological changes, including increased heart rate, rapid breathing, heightened sensory awareness, and muscle tension.
  3. Emotional Experience: Fear is accompanied by a distinct emotional experience. Individuals may feel intense fear, anxiety, or a sense of dread. These emotional responses can vary in intensity depending on the perceived threat and individual differences.
  4. Cognitive Processing: Fear also involves cognitive processes that help assess the threat and determine appropriate responses. The brain engages in rapid information processing, evaluating the situation, drawing upon past experiences, and making judgments about the level of danger. This cognitive appraisal influences the intensity and duration of fear.
  5. Learning and Conditioning: Fear can be learned through experiences, particularly in situations where a previously neutral stimulus becomes associated with a negative event. This process, known as classical conditioning, contributes to the development of phobias and anxiety disorders. Additionally, fear can be transmitted through observational learning, where individuals acquire fears by observing others’ fearful reactions.
  6. Regulation and Coping: After the initial fear response, the brain’s prefrontal cortex, responsible for executive functions, comes into play. It helps regulate the fear response, allowing individuals to assess the threat more accurately, control their emotional reactions, and engage in problem-solving or coping strategies.
  7. Long-Term Effects: While fear is adaptive in dangerous situations, chronic or excessive fear can have negative consequences on mental and physical well-being. Prolonged activation of the stress response can lead to chronic stress, anxiety disorders, and other psychological and physiological health issues.
    It’s important to note that fear is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon, influenced by individual differences, cultural factors, and personal experiences. While fear primarily functions as a protective mechanism, its modus operandi can vary across individuals and situations."

No @Ceklata, in this context, the “psychological comfort” I did not want to point to the silence between thoughts.
I was responding to your invitation to speak more about this prison and I think that “psychological comfort” is pretty good in describing the prison (the events that occur in the space of the mind), in which there is an apparent sense of safety and comfort, psychological speaking; but what created this space? Fear.
This space continues to exists because there is fear. Fear is the creator and the sustainer of the “psychological comfort”. It sounds like Fear is ruling this space. So, where is freedom when fear rules ?

Freedom is ouside the known/prison/comfort zone/fear.
Freedom is in the unknown.

Fear is the resistance of the self to disappear.

Once a bloodthirsty outlaw was approaching a monastery, so all the monks left the monastery except one. When the outlaw arrived at the monastery and found the monk, he said to him, “How come you haven’t left with the rest of the monks, don’t you know that I can cut you in two with my sword?” To which the monk replied “And don’t you know that I can let your sword cut me in two?”

First there arises in the mind a strong sense of a “me”, followed by a strong sense that this “me” is being threatened, which drives the mind to want to protect that with which it completely identifies.

Never apologize for bringing AI into a K discussion. K respected scientists. Language evolves as information emerges and we must keep up with it. Today, kindergarteners learn about the amygdala and prefrontal cortex in the SEL curriculum. What sayeth thou?

Where is sense of self located in the brain? When does it emerge? At conception, days after half our chromosomes experience the Big Bang? Implantation into the confines of uterine comfort and sustenance? Birth into the world of light, suffering, and suckling? Or sometime during infancy/early childhood?

Continuation of the conversation that @Ceklata started with ChatGPT(?)
See for yourselves and think what this TOY is and what they can achieve with it…

Q: Is your answer based on what you particularly think or is it based on what others have said about it?

ChatGPT: As an AI language model, my responses are generated based on a mixture of licensed data, data created by human trainers, and publicly available data. I don’t have personal opinions, beliefs, or subjective experiences.

For the question about fear, my response is based on general knowledge and commonly accepted understanding of fear from various sources. This includes scientific research, psychological theories, and explanations provided by experts in the field. It is important to note that while I strive to provide accurate and up-to-date information, my responses may not always reflect the latest research findings or evolving perspectives on the topic.

Q: So what's the point of asking you what fear is if I can find it myself in the same sources you use, as well as more up-to-date data on the subject?

ChatGPT: While it is true that you can find information about fear from various sources, including more updated data, asking me as an AI can provide you with a convenient and efficient way to access that information. Rather than searching through multiple sources or sifting through vast amounts of information, you can ask specific questions and receive concise and relevant answers.

Additionally, I can provide a synthesized response drawing from a wide range of knowledge and perspectives, which may save you time and effort in gathering information from multiple sources. I can also assist with clarifying any doubts or follow-up questions you may have, helping to deepen your understanding of the topic.

However, it’s always a good idea to cross-reference information and seek multiple sources to ensure accuracy and stay updated with the latest research and understanding of a subject.

Q: How can you claim to help me find concise and relevant answers when you yourself have said that your answers do not always reflect the latest research findings or evolving perspectives on the topic?

ChatGPT: You raise a valid point, and I apologize for any confusion. As an AI language model, I strive to provide accurate and helpful information based on the data I have been trained on. While I have access to a vast amount of information up until September 2021, I may not have access to real-time or highly specific data beyond that point.

While I can provide general explanations and commonly accepted knowledge, it’s important to note that scientific research and understanding can evolve over time. New discoveries, studies, or changes in perspectives may emerge after my last training update.

Therefore, while I aim to be informative and provide valuable insights, it’s always a good practice to consult multiple sources, including more recent and specialized resources, to ensure you have the most up-to-date and comprehensive information on a particular topic.

Q: Just another question: when you say that your data providers for your answers are scientific research, psychological theories and explanations provided by experts in the field, do you also include Krishnamurti, Buddha, or other well-known spiritual teachers as experts in the field?

ChatGPT: As an AI language model, my responses are based on a wide range of sources, which may include scientific research, psychological theories, and explanations provided by experts in various fields. However, it’s important to note that the specific sources and references I have been trained on have not been publicly disclosed by OpenAI, the organization behind ChatGPT.

While some spiritual teachers like Krishnamurti and Buddha may be considered experts in their respective teachings and philosophies, their perspectives may not be as commonly included in mainstream scientific or psychological discourse. The sources I have been trained on are generally more focused on conventional scientific research, academic literature, and established theories in fields such as psychology, sociology, neuroscience, and related disciplines.

If you have specific questions or topics related to spiritual teachings, it’s always a good idea to consult the writings, teachings, and interpretations of the spiritual teachers themselves, as they are best equipped to convey their unique insights and perspectives.

Q: So you are trained to respond based only on the data accepted by the mainstream, discarding anything that doesn't fit with the data accepted by the mainstream, right?

ChatGPT: As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to discard or intentionally exclude information based on whether it aligns with mainstream data or not. My responses are based on patterns and information found in the data I have been trained on, which includes a wide range of sources.

While the training data includes a diverse set of information, it is important to note that the sources and references used to train me have not been publicly disclosed by OpenAI. Therefore, I don’t have detailed visibility into which specific sources were included or excluded during the training process.

It’s also worth mentioning that my responses are generated based on statistical patterns in the training data and are not influenced by personal beliefs or biases. However, as with any source of information, it is always a good practice to consult multiple sources, including both mainstream and alternative perspectives, to gain a broader understanding of a topic. This can help ensure a more comprehensive and well-rounded view of any given subject.

Q: So if your data is partial, induced by those who train you based on their own commercial, political, or any other interest, may I know why you insist then on saying that you give concise, convenient, and efficient answers? Convenient answers for whom?

ChatGPT: I apologize if my previous responses have given the impression of insisting on providing concise, convenient, and efficient answers without addressing your concerns fully. As an AI language model, my purpose is to provide helpful and informative responses based on the data I have been trained on. However, I acknowledge that the sources and training data may have limitations and potential biases.

It’s important to note that as an AI, I don’t have personal beliefs, opinions, or interests. My aim is to assist users in obtaining information and addressing their queries to the best of my abilities, within the scope of my training.

While I strive to provide accurate and reliable information, it is always recommended to consult multiple sources, critically evaluate the information, and consider different perspectives to form a well-rounded understanding. This approach helps ensure a broader view of any given topic and allows individuals to make informed judgments.

If you have any specific concerns or questions, I’m here to help address them to the best of my abilities with the information at my disposal.

Quoth the Bard:

The default mode network (DMN) is a brain network that is active when we are not focused on anything in particular. It is thought to be involved in self-reflection, introspection, and autobiographical memory. The DMN is made up of several brain regions, including the medial prefrontal cortex, the posterior cingulate cortex, and the medial temporal lobe. The DMN is essential for our sense of self and the research that has been done on it has helped us to understand how the brain creates our sense of self and how it can be affected by different conditions.

1 Like

I have a serious problem with your questions, @DeNiro… I don’t know whether to take them seriously or just as a mere attempt on your part to appear smart to the people around here :thinking:

So can I ask you for help on this?

Added:

Fear is the rejection of the unknown.
Fear is our emotional response to time.
Fear is the body’s alarm system to protect against immediate danger and unknown “what-ifs” of time.
Fear is an expression of desire.
Fear is the conditioned reaction to a perceived threat of pain and/or harm.
Fear is the resistance of the self to disappear.

1 Like

Fraggle, I think Rick presented Bard’s answer to the question about the sense of self. It’s located in the brain’s medial prefrontal cortex and other areas of the DMN. Without the brain, there is no self. But this topic is on fear. Fraggle, you seem to fear AI. Why?

Thanks for telling us about the DMN I personally didn’t know about, @rickScott! Time to spend some time researching the topic and let chatGPT recover from its previous neural strain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fear begins with a trigger. You get an email from the boss saying he wants to speak with you right away. The trigger gets its power from psychological time, past (your boss has a reputation for punishing employees) and future (you imagine, in vivid detail, how he is going to punish you).

The DMN is really worth exploring! And it’s well researched, scientifically viable, if that appeals to you.

So you read my post (or merely the introduction) and came to the conclusion that I fear AI? Mmmh, interesting to know that someone who seeks a serious debate about something is because he fears that something!

Anyway, may I ask why you are so happy with this so called biased artificial intelligence? :thinking: