Experiments

I think he’s saying that the whole is a whole, and our experience of it is subjective.

1 Like

Nothing is as it seems, nor is it otherwise.

1 Like

Experiment: The path of least resistance

1. Take the path of least resistance, flow like water down a stream.
  2. Stay flowing unimpededly for an entire day, from waking up to going to sleep.
  3. When you’re done, contemplate and, optionally, share your experience.

What counts as impediments? If I want to eat loads of ice cream and I am a diabetic, does my knowledge of the issue constitute an impediment to be ignored?

Surely we can’t pretend to ignore impediments? Doing so would impede the flow.

PS. One of my goals is to point out potential problems, so that the we may construct the best experiment possible - just in case anyone is wondering/getting upset.

I prefer keeping the experiment open in terms of interpretation. What does it mean to the experimenter: the path of least resistance, flow like water, unimpededly, contemplate. But if you prefer that things be made more explicit, please rewrite the experiment and post your version.

Do you really think you can do this? How do you know when you’re doing this when your conditioning is to resist and react, assert and acquire, etc.? We talk about “letting go” and “going with the flow”, but if we can actually do this, we can just as easily stop thinking and share that experience.

I think I (probably pretty much everyone) can ‘do it’ to some degree. When I perform the experiment, I flow as best I can and see what gives. It’s a bit of “Fake it till you make it.”

It’s an attempt to do something you can’t be sure you’re doing until you realize you can’t do it because you are it.

It’s like trying to stop thinking and thinking you’re making progress until you realize you can’t stop thinking because you are thought.

But it’s a worthwhile exercise because if you follow through with it, you realize you’re trying to do what you cannot do; to be what you cannot be.

I can only be what I am from moment to moment, be it desire, fear, greed, loneliness, despair, hope, pride, shame, etc. I am an emotional/intellectual state, a more or less turbulent, unpredictable condition from moment to moment.

If I can go with that flow, be that flow without reacting, there’s no experimenting because the experimenter is gone. But that’s just a big “if”.

1 Like

Question: Did you do the experiment or just think about it?

I’ve spent a lifetime faking it, i.e., experimenting.

But did you do it today, since it was posted? You can never step in the same experiment twice.