Does the past exist at all?

I still don’t see the point of saying I know I don’t know.

It’s a good question. And a good question, or the right question put at the right time, is itself a form of intelligent communication.

1 Like

Then you have stopped yourself from putting the question.

I am not saying that. There is no answer in knowledge. That’s a fact, regardless of who says it.

Are you certain that there is no reaction , and only a ‘response ‘?

I am saying you may be wrong. There may be a factor that frees the mind. I’m not sure, but I don’t stop there. I want to find out.

It’s your question, you have a strong feeling about it… I’d like to know where you go with it.
It’s not my question…I don’t have a question at the moment … Seeing my own movement of inattention is what is important…seeing it in relationship.It’s not any problem that needs any solution or looking for any factor.
If I feel I may help another in a practical matter ,I may look to see if
,or how it may be possible, Outside of practical things it could only be by ‘accident’ ( no intention) .

Unless you come along with me, I can’t go anywhere with it. It may still be a wrong question - that doesn’t matter. There may be a motive behind it - and that doesn’t matter. The question will reveal its secrets, all its flaws and facets, as we allow it the chance to breathe. It is a question about freedom; and there may be no such thing as freedom for any human being on this earth. This is what the question may reveal.

1 Like

Paul,
Thank you. I understand what you say.
If one reads again , everything that I’ve already said in various responses to you in this thread, plus what was said in responses to Dev’s initial post ,since last Wednesday… then you may find that this question of yours now…has already been addressed.
The question goes back to ‘reactions’ , which block our seeing, hearing and attention in the actual present. While we are reacting( thinking and feeling from an unaware centre), we may be ever caught in our own limited reality of time, and missing, failing to see ,what is actual.
I hope that this may be seen in the way it is , rather than interpreted though the veil of thought.
I’ll be happy to have a conversation about ‘Freedom’ at another time… another thread. For several hours now, I hsvrcthings to do. But this evening perhaps talk further.
Clive

I know I don’t know. What this is saying is there is memory. Please follow this. There is a mind that doesn’t know, and it is memory we are using. The mind is empty. What I experience and know is memory.

Why say the “mind is empty” rather than the mind is full of memory?

But nobody is saying, ‘I know I don’t know.’

That’s unimportant. I am not really saying anything. The point is to see if we can explore a question together without recourse to the past.

Please try to keep up.

There is an idea about mind, and I am the see-er. But if you look, it is obvious, there is the whole lot of natural watching, listening, observing. Then I ask, what are all the mental functions, skills, knowing, etc? This is a function of memory. What we think is filling the mind is the mental functions, memory, knowledge, but it is mechanical operation in the brain, not actually in the see-ing. Look and you will see the mind is empty. We draw on memory and discuss various aspects of what is known, such as the past, and want to elaborate, but it is operating in the verbal functions of the brain, and memory.

I think I would rather give up and start again.

1 Like

Such a question, when met with knowledge, indicates the lack of listening.

We are going through something new here, maybe to me alone. Yet what I see is the proposition is being met with opposition, with knowledge. Testing the new with the old.

I wonder if that have ever led to any new grounds of perception.

Or there is only perception, not new or old. I can only say, ‘I have seen something new,’ if I am comparing it with a lot of old information; therefore it is still caught in the past even though it appears to be something new. A new perception gets quickly absorbed by thought. Whereas perception itself really has nowhere to go, nothing more to do, because perception is its own action.

1 Like

Is it memory drawing on memory with the illusory ‘I’ standing apart as the ‘observer’, the ‘thinker’? The whole thing a process of ‘becoming’. This all taking place in the brain, mental activity, mechanical, material? But ‘mind’ is empty. Mind is timeless, eternal? Mind is always only, ever, Now? When the brain deteriorates, dies, all memory dies with it. Mind is never touched by any of it?

Recalling the JK statement “Do you want to know my secret? I don’t mind what happens.”

We need to ask ourselves, am I drawing on something I read, something someone said, something from knowledge, from memory, and thinking about the problems within this? They mean something to me because I am working on the ideas; trying to solve them intellectually. These are abstract, theoretical problems. These are not immediate problems actually affecting me, not a problem in the way I live, not a problem I am looking at directly in my own thinking. The pointers to conditioning and the psychology of all this are not problems. The way I live is something to look at directly, and I might see problems. That’s what to think about.