Direct Perception

What is “Direct Perception”?

Halloo!

It usually means the sudden seeing of something without having gone through a conscious process of mentation (like analysis, deduction, supposition, inference etc).

No thought.(for 20 chars)

What does it mean to see the totality of ourselves as human beings? Where and how do we look?

1 Like

If I see what I am doing now - is that enough?
(or should I consult a druid or a psychologist and an anthropologist?)

I want power - I want to be loved. *

*There is the seeing and there is the description (the naming and the words are the description) **

**and there is the judgement, conclusion, and psychological integration (aka scarring, burden of knowledge)

So I am already in contradiction because I want two things that are mutually exclusive: power and love.

Observing with total energy(with all sensory organs working together in unity), without the involvement of the thought.

2 Likes

At the end of the article it says, ‘Only time will tell.’ Do you think that’s good enough?

karne,

Excuse… but… the self is thought, memories, etc. So, one must be careful in how one expresses some of these things. Usually, when most people say they are in contact with the self, they mean that they are connected with some part of themselves, their self, their “I”, the “me”, the “mine”… - they feel this deeply - and, unfortunately, it is this part of themselves which determines their experience - seeing thru the glass darkly (as @Hugette mentioned). One has even noticed some people on this site - in particular - suggest that they have a relationship with some word, with their thoughts, some thought, with thinking, which is of itself an indication of the part of the wrong turn, and an incorrect understanding. One cannot have a relationship with thinking, with thought. One may have a relationship with other human beings, with nature. So, do you mean being “aware” of “what is” happening inside?

And yes, integrity is important: saying what one means, and meaning what one says - i.e. being “one” with all of the many fragments of oneself (having had an insight - and subsequent mutation) - which leads to “passion” in one’s life, a correct sense of passion, a passion for truth as well. Any self-admitted liar or one exposed as a liar is incapable of “passion”… incapable of “integrity”. One is entirely skeptical of anyone who bandies the word “integration” about and later demonstrates being unaware of their own thinking, thoughts, beliefs (such as imposing things like homilies, a lack of understanding of their own conditioning - trying to get others to dismiss the impact of their conditioning on their life, etc. Just check out the beginning of my thread on “Relationships”… The journey is endless, the learning goes on. Leaning cannot stop just at one stage, such as “integration”. There is so much more…

1 Like

Thank for pointing out.

Mention of Self there could be misleading. I meant to be being aware, pay attention, acting in present, etc.

1 Like

Can you kindly review now. I made changes.

karne,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, one understood that you did understand, but one’s comment was mainly to alert others to any possible misunderstanding. Best regards, :slight_smile:

Charley

Humans are animals with a capacity for language and cogitation that no other animals show evidence of having. But we know our thinking is too biased, mistaken, deceptive and misleading to be reliable.

1 Like

And yet we go on thinking in all those areas where it is dangerous to do so. Our knowledge is therefore meaningless. Why? Is it because it is based on false information? Are we relying on information from the past instead of a direct perception of the present?

Of course we are! Are you not?

So the past is answering the question for you. What happens when we don’t answer the question in this usual way?

To ask a question is not to find an answer, but to discover and find out for oneself. Questioning becomes important when this is understood, and the question itself makes the mind sharp. But if one is expecting an answer to a question, the mind naturally becomes expectant, awaiting, and is therefore not clear, decisive and capable of discovery. In asking questions, the conscious mind is deliberately aware of what it is asking. It is aware that any answer must always be verbal and therefore non-direct. When one asks a question, one has also to find out why one asks it. One should ask questions about everything, but it matters very much why one is asking those questions; what is the background, the state of the mind that is asking those questions? Is it awaiting an answer, expecting to be told? If it is waiting for an answer, who is going to answer it? A mind that is waiting to find the answer is not an active mind; it is just waiting, expecting. So if one is aware of the content of the question, why the question is being asked, and who is going to answer it, then the question becomes very important. Such questions have a catalytic effect; such questions produce an answer in themselves.

Public Discussion 2 in Ojai, California, 11 November 1966

Darling, you are also reverting to the past. To see the totality of ourselves, it is no good turning to K or to anyone else.