Daydreaming

8 billion Gods and growing?

Not at all, “from my perspective” just means “what I think” - solopsism would mean that “what I think is all” or “all that can be known”.

So there is infinitely more than “what I think” or “the present moment” - unless you suscribe to the unreasonable (and unfalsifiable) view that the whole of existence (the cosmos etc) is “what I think”.

I don’t get it, experience is only all of what is, for the experiencer. There is no way to demonstrate the truth (or falseness) of solopsism, but it would be unreasonable to believe it to be true, as everything indicates that it is not.

Seems true, but who can say for sure? When it comes to ‘truth’ pretty much all bets are off.

Reason, I think you know, is not that big a biggie for me. I rely quite deeply on un-reason.

I have some snake oil for sale - :cowboy_hat_face:

If it’s from the Bordeaux region, I’m in.

1 Like

If there is no ultimate good or bad or right or wrong, there is nothing ultimately bad or wrong about daydreaming. It’s just daydreaming. No hidden meaning or deep significance. Nothing to disdain.

Nice one. (oups! I mean the Bordeaux thingy)

I was thinking about your partiality to unreasonableness earlier and wondered about about the worth of totally unreasonable images (like : maybe there is a teapot in the rings of Saturn) - I suppose that in all the random thoughts ever by all the people on earth, some might actually come in handy one day. Daydreaming might save the world, who knows.
But for the individual person, surely holding unreasonable thoughts as true would be a net loss? ( ie. dangerous, innefficient)

PS. This is not a response to your thoughts on “ultimateness”

Daydreaming might bring joy to the daydreamer. It might be an act of creativity.

Holding anything ultimately true is gonna land you in trouble eventually. Truth is relative?

1 Like

I give you a :heart: despite the fact that I don’t know what “Truth is relative” means (and is a statement that is sometimes used for some pretty detrimental effect) and I don’t know what “creativity” means.

Giving the heart without knowing is perfect!

1 Like

Am I the story or its author/narrator? Might I be the ongoing effort to perpetuate the illusion of being the protagonist of an unfolding story?

When I see that I am the story, its author, the reader/listener, and the critic of the story, do I realize that I am just a tradition, a ritual that humans have been playing out for the last several thousand years? What happens when my story is Awakening to the Limitation of Narrative?

Aota.

Things get weird.

It would be imagining a story as you said.

1 Like

Imagination is what the Human brain does - Running very fast is what Cheetahs do.

The effects of these things are where we can see there may be problems. The effect of the Cheetah running fast are dead gazelles (shocked gazelles, sad gazelles) and tasty food.

What are the effects of imagination? What trace do they leave (in you, on the world)? Do they have to leave those marks?

PS. What is the cause of Imagination? Life and billions of years of successful mutations in a changing environment.

1 Like

Ecce homo! Ecce mundus! Ecce consensus veritas!

I often tell my (imaginary?) students to ponder almost everything they see was designed by humans.

2 Likes