Compassionate way of thinking

Is there any “seeing” for the conditioned brain?

If “the seeing is the doing”, the conditioned brain cannot see its condition until/unless it is inoperative, effectively dead, and its corpse is under observation.

If the human brain is fundamentally free and unlimited, its bondage and limitation begin with self-imposed psychological conditioning, and end with awakening to the fact that machination is inescapable, and only silence can demonstrate this fact.

I think it can if our situation of a total conditioning is seen, not partial…I came upon a story today of a couple of Iranian fellows on a motorcycle pulling along side a woman driving a car and throwing acid in her face, disfiguring her terribly and driving away. According to their beliefs (conditioning) about the role and value of women, they were doing the right thing. So yes, understanding the role the conditioned self image has in dictating our behavior, you wouldn’t condone what they did but you would understand that they did the only thing they could do! The self is ‘evil’ in the power it holds in its ability to limit the brain.

How can the conditioned brain see or do anything that isn’t a conditioned response?

As far as now, I understood that our conditioning has created a sense of separateness between us which has restricted us with personal desires and affection to immediate loved ones. The person having the quality of “Real compassion”, I haven’t encountered yet, sir. It seems very difficult to be like that in this greyish world, at least for me.

Anyways, I started this thread “Compassionate way of thinking”, after listening to the words of JK, Dalailama, Dr. Jinpa a year ago. whenever I listen to them, that feeling of love always makes me ponder, how they are having such happy souls. :grinning:

Yes, this happens to most of the people(including us)

Through an ‘insight’ into its own situation?
For example when someone tells you “You don’t exist”, I accept that intellectually, the thinker is the thought, etc but the ‘feeling’ that I DO exist, a feeling I have never not had is so ‘conditioned’ in the brain that it is considered ‘truth’. Of course I exist! But there may come and I don’t know why or how, the possibility of ‘seeing’ that I actually don’t exist (!) in the way that I imagine I do, and the ‘feeling’ that I do is just that , a feeling ,combined with memory. It’s a partial ‘insight’ and things return to ‘normal’, the moment becomes a memory…maybe as you say , it is still all part of the conditioning and maybe not, I leave it open.

The conditioned brain can come to an (intellectual) understanding that the projections of the self (ie.reality) can be so tightly focussed on selfishness that pain inevitably arises.

This will of course be confirmed and reinforced by experience (because reality tends to confirm itself).

So learning that it is painful to be a pain, is a most wonderful possibility.

Without even becoming a Buddha, the first precept of : don’t be a jerk, is available to all that are curious enough to learn.

The presence of ‘self’ in the brain, blocking the possibility of love, (and compassion) is an indicator of ‘jerk-ism’?

I would have gone with :

Jerk-ism is an indicator of the dominance of ‘self’ in the brain, blocking the possibility of love, (and compassion).
or
The presence of ‘self’ in the brain, blocking the possibility of love, (and compassion) can lead to ‘jerk-ism’

1 Like

I believe I am who/what I think I am because I am a believer, so what is “insight” to the believing brain? Is it an awakening to what a belief actually is? Is it the shocking realization that I am a liar and I can’t be trusted or relied upon to do much more than deceive myself?

I think we can call that realization a partial insight because it illuminates the basis of belief without revealing the entire nature and structure of self-deception, asking why it has over-stepped its utility by stomping on silence and emptiness.