Can the Self Come to an End?

That comes across to me that the brain does not need to be constantly occupied. Isn’t there an ‘addiction’ of sorts, to always being occupied? I am finding ‘not being occupied’ for this period in my life to be very interesting and even surprisingly so.

Just like the heart, or the liver, or our bacteria - the brain is always doing its job.

Its job (so I’m told) is to coordinate our futur activities (like a Butlins holiday redcoat*). It is constantly sending out signals to other parts of itself, and to parts of the body and even when “at rest” it is producing a constant flux of thoughts. As such it is just like the rest of reality : in a constant flux.

*Disneyland tour guide?

The momentum of a lifetime is to react when we suffer. Where does this ‘not move’ come from? I recall quite a few years back I was feeling depressed one day. Suddenly for whatever reason, I realized that I’m only depressed when I label the feeling. Without the word there was no depression. I don’t know if I described it correctly, but the depression disappeared when i realized I was only depressed when I labeled the feeling.

That’s what we are talking about here. what comes out of this study of K stuff. I’m not sure what is going on with these posts by ‘Inquiry’, but they seem to be wanting some kind of non-'interpretation ’ of K. which I don’t understand. No one is changing the texts, no one is changing the videos… are we not ‘allowed’ to talk about our own realizations from our connection with him and his words? This is strange for me to find this here.

Or to see that thought is limited and fragmented and that I am that limitation. Any fragment, by definition, is divided from the whole.

Thank you Huguette. I do understand better now your meaning…‘conscious silence’. AS to asking the question ‘can the self end?’, I shouldn’t comment since I don’t think I’ve ever asked myself that. So anything I say would only be speculation. I’m much more interested in observing the movements of the self…of observing, and hopefully understanding it. Ending it? Sure I guess I’ve speculated about it, but speculation has very little meaning. That it’s there is the issue we need to face…and to observe free from conclusions and beliefs…religious or otherwise.

At the end of his last public talk on January 4, 1986, Krishnamurti said - " If you have made a mess of your life, change it. Change it today, not tomorrow. If you are uncertain, find out why and be certain. If your thinking is not straight, think straight, logically. Unless all that is prepared, all that is settled, you can’t enter into this world, into the world of creation."

That’s all we are saying. Change is now, not tomorrow. Tomorrow is an idea and the idea prevents action. The self ends right now. That’s the actuality. But thought will always ask, ‘Well, what about tomorrow?’ That’s a wrong question. If I love you, I love you now; I don’t have to be convinced of it over time.

However there is time involved…in ‘find out why’…right? Also in the next sentence, “unless…all that is settled”. First do all that, then you can enter into the world of creation. Am I mistaken? I can’t see how.

To find out why you are uncertain and crooked in your thinking, it will take time if you go to experts, read books and get psycho-analysed. But if you are totally alone with the problem of your own mind, the change has already begun to happen because you have dismissed every single authority. Dismissing every single authority cannot happen over time, although that is generally the path we take: we go from guru to guru getting increasingly disenchanted. They are paid to keep us confused; or our confusion keeps them in luxury. So it is obviously a dead-end from the beginning. Or we see from the very start the sheer pointlessness of chasing after any answer to our psychological difficulties from the mind of another. Therefore, instead of getting increasingly disenchanted, taking time over it, the disenchantment itself is the jewel of great price already in our hands. Our own discontent is the fire that burns away the chaff.

A man or a woman who is truly discontented with his own little life of self-concern will demand a great change. But if we are only ever halfhearted about it, we shall continue to dream of vague possibilities of improvement and forever delay the real transformation of consciousness that comes about when this is our only problem, not one problem among a dozen other problems.

1 Like

But the authority is in US. Our psychological problems stem from the authority in ME. The inner authorities and the outer are the same, no?

So what is the voice of the inner authority saying? And to whom is it speaking? There’s the rub. Because if the inner authority really knew what to do and how to live, there would be no inner dialogue at all; there would be no psychological division whatsoever.

The inner authority is operating on an unconscious level. We’re not even aware of it most of the time. We assume it’s ‘my’ idea or ‘my’ decision, etc.

All it means is that we are going through life half asleep. When we wake up and listen to the nonsense that bubbles up from the past, soon the listening is far more important than the nonsense. Then it doesn’t matter what comes up; we are not afraid to listen to it.

1 Like

Here comes that old devil, time, again …

The realisation may appear to take time, especially from this side of the fence. Either we listen or we don’t; it is only the ‘don’t’ that creates time because we are forever putting it off.

Makes sense, yes. That old devil thought/time

I’d like to come back to this post, and the OP. “Can the human brain be ‘cleansed’ of all the process of time?” “Can the human brain be radically changed?” (K). Watching a good video at the moment…K and Mrs. Zimbalist…on conditioning. “We are not separate from the society. The society is us.”

We are the society, the society is us:

“Can that brain (the conditioned brain) ever be free of all its time binding qualities? …free of its content?”

from the video I linked to above…K with Mrs. Zimbalist: On time again…I do understand that there is either listening or there is time, and not listening. However time is a factor whether we acknowledge it or not. From K with mrs. Z. : “Fear is a rather complicated subject…that requires a great deal of inquiry…” Obviously that inquiry takes place over time.

But look what happens. We spend a day, a week, a month, a year or even decades going into the subject of fear very deeply, seriously, conscientiously, studying it from all angles. And at the end, what? We are just back where we started: fear remains in some shape or form; and the self remains more or less intact. So any real change must take place at the start of the enquiry, not at the end. Does love take time? If you say, ‘Yes,’ and allow time, it means love has been engulfed in a process of becoming and remains something forever in the distance. But if you don’t admit time, then love is now and you have to face it head on, free from all the ideas you may hold about it. Therefore I am deliberately introducing and sticking to the word ‘love’ because that’s all that matters in any enquiry.